SEC overrated again?

I was just talking about this to my friends yesterday. These are all just opinions based on my eye test.
1. The SEC has the best athletes in the country
2. Night in and night out, the SEC out “athletes” each other
3. The officiating is horrible in the SEC. They let teams beat each other up and that type of physicality doesn’t translate well to the tourney, which for the most part has pretty good officiating.
4. As a whole, the coaches in the SEC aren’t great X’s and O’s coaches and that weakness is exposed in the tourney by coaches who are.

Just my two cents.

I was just talking about this to my friends yesterday. These are all just opinions based on my eye test.
1. The SEC has the best athletes in the country
2. Night in and night out, the SEC out “athletes” each other
3. The officiating is horrible in the SEC. They let teams beat each other up and that type of physicality doesn’t translate well to the tourney, which for the most part has pretty good officiating.
4. As a whole, the coaches in the SEC aren’t great X’s and O’s coaches and that weakness is exposed in the tourney by coaches who are.

Just my two cents.

i can’t disagree but will add a couple of my observations.
I think SEC teams in general play more 1 on 1 than other conferences. The other conferences seem to take more of a team approach.
I will use Tennessee as an example. It seemed to me Tennessee did minimal motion on offense and their first option was to rely on Horston or Burrell to drive toward the basket and throw up an awkward looking shot. If they didn’t get that opening they might lob it in to Key or pass to someone else who was open but seemed reluctant to take an outside shot, or Horston/Burrell would pull up and take a midrange shot. Other conferences seem to use motion more, looking for an open cutter to the basket, and more willing (wanting to) to take that midrange or 3 point shot.
I am definitely not an expert, just an observation from my chair.

i can’t disagree but will add a couple of my observations.
I think SEC teams in general play more 1 on 1 than other conferences. The other conferences seem to take more of a team approach.
I will use Tennessee as an example. It seemed to me Tennessee did minimal motion on offense and their first option was to rely on Horston or Burrell to drive toward the basket and throw up an awkward looking shot. If they didn’t get that opening they might lob it in to Key or pass to someone else who was open but seemed reluctant to take an outside shot, or Horston/Burrell would pull up and take a midrange shot. Other conferences seem to use motion more, looking for an open cutter to the basket, and more willing (wanting to) to take that midrange or 3 point shot.
I am definitely not an expert, just an observation from my chair.
The SEC and ugly, outdated offense have a toxic relationship that for some strange reason, they just can't quit. Was identified by Pat herself (who sort of invented it in the first place) 20 years ago when she watched Geno and his sharp passing motion offense pass her by She owned it and sought to change it, but for whatever reason it's never happened.

The SEC also struggles with over reliance on recruits who can jump out of the gym but not shoot a lick. Can't find a balance btw that and players who can shoot, but couldn't guard my granny.

For the LVs this year in particular, it's the minimal motion thing that drives me insane. So many of our turnovers are caused by forced desperate passes from a player resorting to one on one as a last ditch effort. Hopefully the coaches have plays designed to advise players where and how to move, but if not for the love of God just move somewhere! Get open.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is such a struggle, but it's sure getting called out in the tourney this year.

The SEC and ugly, outdated offense have a toxic relationship that for some strange reason, they just can't quit. Was identified by Pat herself (who sort of invented it in the first place) 20 years ago when she watched Geno and his sharp passing motion offense pass her by She owned it and sought to change it, but for whatever reason it's never happened.

The SEC also struggles with over reliance on recruits who can jump out of the gym but not shoot a lick. Can't find a balance btw that and players who can shoot, but couldn't guard my granny.

For the LVs this year in particular, it's the minimal motion thing that drives me insane. So many of our turnovers are caused by forced desperate passes from a player resorting to one on one as a last ditch effort. Hopefully the coaches have plays designed to advise players where and how to move, but if not for the love of God just move somewhere! Get open.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is such a struggle, but it's sure getting called out in the tourney this year.
Excellent post. Just sign a couple big ladies who can rebound and stop layups and then sign as many shooters as you can. Kellie has to stop getting slow or athletic and cannot shoot. Recruit the ladies that can shoot and can dribble the ball.

(Of P5s) The SEC had the most teams in, and the Second fewest teams through to the round of 32.

A breakdown of how many teams in vs their NCAA tournament record.
SEC- 8 (4-4) 50%
ACC- 7 (5-2) 71%
PAC- 6 (3-3) 50%
B12- 6 (6-0) 100%
B10- 6 (5-1) 83%

Rn the PAC (which everyone knew was down) and the SEC (who was the most hyped) have the lowest winning percentages.

The SEC is not overrated. Your input is however.

But it is not like only SEC teams are getting upset in the tournament. Iowa, Baylor, Oregonm Va Tech all got upset and none are SEC teams. Arkansas was a 10 seed who lost to a 7 seed so that loss was not unexpected. Georgia, a six seed, lost in the 2nd round to a 3 seed so again not exactly a shocking outcome. I think the premise of this thread is questionable. When a conference gets more of their lower seeded teams in, one would expect more losses. If Tennessee, LSU, and SC all move on to the sweet 16, the SEC will be looking pretty good.

But it is not like only SEC teams are getting upset in the tournament. Iowa, Baylor, Oregonm Va Tech all got upset and none are SEC teams. Arkansas was a 10 seed who lost to a 7 seed so that loss was not unexpected. Georgia, a six seed, lost in the 2nd round to a 3 seed so again not exactly a shocking outcome. I think the premise of this thread is questionable. When a conference gets more of their lower seeded teams in, one would expect more losses. If Tennessee, LSU, and SC all move on to the sweet 16, the SEC will be looking pretty good.
I think its more about general trends in the SEC that often cause these teams to struggle against better shooting, better passing teams, especially in tournaments.

SEC 2 missed free throws away from only 1 (unimpressive win by USC) team in the sweet sixteen after having the most in the tournament. You think the strongest conference would prepare their teams to upset teams in the NCAA not get upset consistently.

A good comparison is the ACC with 7 teams in and now if UNC (currently winning) makes it that will be 4 of 16 teams in the Sweet Sixteen.

Reactions: mcannon1
SEC- 2/8 25%
ACC- 4/7 57% if UNC holds on
B10- 4/6 67%
B12- 2/6 33%
PAC- 1/6 17%

This is pretty bad if your arguing that the SEC IS THE UNDISPUTED GREATEST CONFERENCE…. gimme a break

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Meanwhile, back at the ranch….

The Big East, of mid-major fame, has more sweet sixteen participants than the vaunted PAC-12. Whoudathunkit?

Reactions: VolFuture

VN Store

Back