SEC only playoff

They just might be on to something. You old sailors think back to how the Americas cup used to be. Everybody fought it out to finally get the chance to go up against our rested Americas Cup holder. In that case the champ Cup holder just had to beat one challenger--not all of them. But the champ did rest assured of a shot in the finals. Now, consider a couple or three big SEC power games to select the representative to go on the final college playoffs. It will be pretty much a given that the SEC champ will be the favorite BUT the SEC gets the advantage of a huge pool of money from the preliminary games. This is where my Americas Cup analogy comes in. Let the rest of college ball play for the right to go up against the favorite! That would be a huge win for the SEC! Do it!

We already have one. It is called the SEC regular season and the Championship Game. Any additional games would just serve to weaken the importance and high stakes of the regular season matchups IMHO

I agree. And adding more games to have a playoff would increase the chances of unnecessary injuries (when the team and players could be focusing on the bowl game). In that regard I hope the SEC Championship game remains the same and the playoff thought is put to bed.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I would be open to the idea of the 4 pod winners playing a conference semifinal game. The two highest ranked teams get to host the semis at their home stadium and then the winners play in Atlanta. That’s pie in the sky kind of stuff, but it could be fun.

I hate this idea it’s one of the stupidest and lamest ideas I’ve ever heard, I would probaly quit watching all together if they did this chit.

Reactions: spencer1989
I've long said that I think the way to do it is 4 leagues of 16 teams, all 16 play each other, and #1's play #1's in a 4 team playoffs, and #2's match up against #2's, #3's against #3's, and so forth, and the #2-#8 games would be your bowl games. 32 teams out of 64 would make bowls. That's what I'd like to see. I hate cupcake games, and I'd prefer OOC matchups mean something.

This idea reflects the social reality of today. Somehow, somewhere, somewhen, someone snuck the population a stupid pill, with a triple dose going to so-called important decision-makers.

Last edited:
If it is an SEC playoff, it is by definition not a national championship playoff [short of the SEC expanding to 65 teams].

Don't get me wrong, the winner of the former would usually be favored to win the latter. But they are not the same thing.

This idea would only take us backward, away from "proving on the field" who the national crown ought to belong to.

OrangeTsar is right, this is just a money-making ploy, dressed up (like a pig in a tutu) as something bigger, like a new kind of champioonship.

Reactions: sunnyvol79
I would be open to the idea of the 4 pod winners playing a conference semifinal game. The two highest ranked teams get to host the semis at their home stadium and then the winners play in Atlanta. That’s pie in the sky kind of stuff, but it could be fun.
Just one more game to pile up the injuries late in the season. Don't need that extra game.

Reactions: spencer1989
I do not like it. Everyone already knows that the SEC is the best. Let's continue to play the other teams in it country to prove it. This is borderline arrogance.
I think its more us forcing our hand into promoting Super Conferences and a way of doing away with the NCAA

The SEC Champion is the real National Champion. Every other conference should have a playoff against each other to see who gets to play against the SEC runner-up. Then, if they beat the SEC runner-up, they get a shot at the SEC Champ. 😆

I bet most top teams from other conferences would have a tough time beating our #3 or #4 best teams. Actually they'd probably have a hard time with any of the top 10 teams from the SEC.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
Just one more game to pile up the injuries late in the season. Don't need that extra game.
Very true. I do think that a pods version of an SEC Title game would be very intriguing. I’m not pretending to have a perfect solution. I’m just in favor of maximizing the potential of College football, which is I’m why in favor of a 12 team CFP with games on college campuses. If we’re going down this road in the college game where the $ is more at the forefront than it ever has been, I want to keep the pageantry and tradition a part of the game as much as possible.

No doubt he wants his own league, IMO. After Texas and Oklahoma leave, he is about two good (at least historically) powerhouses and a couple of 8 win schools away from joining the SEC in being able to do so.

If they keep adding games to win a National Championship I can see sone very bad things happening.

I can see some of the top Jr and Sr players sitting out the last game or 2.

They'll sit those games out to avoid injuries and to have more time to prepare for the NFL combine and the NFL draft.

Some top teams having some of their top players sit out the last game or 2 will have a HUGE impact on some of those teams.

We could end up with a National Championship game that has 2 teams that would normally have no chance to make it to the Championship game and that could really have far less people watching the game and seriously drop the advertising $$$ that it would normally generate.

Bad ideas oftentimes bring bad $$$ generation and turn really good things into really bad things that turn off millions of people tat would normally watch a game.

Never forget that $$$ is always the top priority.

VFL...GBO!!!

Makes no sense and ruins it. Whether we like it or not, there are major players outside the SEC. USC, Oregon, Ohio St, Norte Dame, Cinci has a claim right now, even though they didn’t perform last year, Clemson, Miami, FSU, the list can be expanded to teams who are good enough to get there with a few top tier recruits like Oklahoma State, TCU in Patterson’s early days.

The point of college football is it’s adversarial nature. Us vs. them. And it has so many elements, but not the least of which is geographic. The south is prideful of the football prowess that we have had, the only way to flex those muscles is to beat those teams from out west or up north. Doing this takes all of that away. To hell with Money, college sports are institutionally ran and are meant to be non profits.

VN Store

Back