SEC Officiating

Rickster

VFL
I watched the Auburn replay and was very disappointed in the officiating crew. I found it hard to believe they were actually making those calls. That level of incompetence just does not occur naturally. Is there something more nefarious occurring or are they really that bad? What can be done to improve the officiating in this conference? The ladies and fans deserve better.

to me it seems to get worse each year...don't pretend to know the rules of becoming a ref but maybe they need to go back and do refresher courses before and after each season, because it has become that bad, and not just in the SEC

GO LADY VOLS!

I watched the Auburn replay and was very disappointed in the officiating crew. I found it hard to believe they were actually making those calls. That level of incompetence just does not occur naturally. Is there something more nefarious occurring or are they really that bad? What can be done to improve the officiating in this conference? The ladies and fans deserve better.

It always seems to be quite poor but last night was exceptionally bad. The SEC should really review the tape and take some remedial action.

It in ever sport, Little league, Junior high, High school, college and professional. I wonder sometime if they are just trying to keep the game close. A lot of teams sure get home cooking.

Reactions: Rickster
I agree, I don't have any answers for what to do about it but I find it very frustrating when the officiating is that poor. That game could have easily gone to Auburn on poor calls alone, that has huge impacts for teams going forward and their NCAA seeding. Officials have no place in deciding the outcome of ball games. Fans do not pay to listen to the whistle blow. By all means if it is a true foul call it, but at least call it the same on both ends of the floor. Until the last two minutes last night we had wayyyy more foul calls than Auburn and I actually felt they were the more physically aggressive team for 3 quarters and their guards were over the back almost every play.

I also think that they need to re-assess how they do monitor reviews. A play where no call was made on the floor should not be a review-able play, as was the case with KK last night. If it is an unsportsmanlike foul on review, why was it not an offensive foul in live play? I personally don't think fouls should be reviewed at all: in/out of bounds, clock issues, and maybe intentional/flagrant fouls under 2 minutes. I'm tired of them reviewing the play every time a player feigns injury though.

I also think there should be a time limit on monitor review. As someone who likes to attend live games I dread seeing them head to the monitor, sometimes it is 20 or 30 minutes and if they game is nearly over fans will start leaving, I find that sad for the players. If they can't figure it out in under 2 minutes it shouldn't have been reviewed in the first place.

Last edited:
Penn State lost to Indiana by 9 on Thursday . they committed 34 fouls and IU 21. one every 45 seconds.

Penn State lost to Indiana by 9 on Thursday . they committed 34 fouls and IU 21. one every 45 seconds.

I mean that’s painful to watch. If both teams are really playing that aggressive then just let them play a little bit. Damn

Basketball in general is such a whistle happy sport. My teenage son pointed it out to me a few years ago when he quit watching. Made sense after he brought it up. It really controls the flow of things.

I hate it when refs go to the monitor & look at a replay for 5 minutes it seems.....and then they get together again to discuss what went on for another 3 minutes. They hold the game up too long at times to make the right call.
But last night's game the refs made too many ticky tack foul calls.....let them play basketball for crying out loud.

what say you, Coach J? good calls or nah?

The dance at the monitor was too long, but officiating is officiating...Unless you "work them" as we coaches learn to do. Year one or two a coach has to learn tendencies of the refs. We see them several times a season. It is up to head coaches to learn their personalities. work them. Otherwise they will run all over a HC. Refs respect a coach who will work them a little. It is the only rapport they have with coaches.

And you can't be scared to shake them up once in a while,,just like players!

I got frustrated with a ref once and had already gotten a T for griping on a call. During a foul-shot he stood right in front of my view on purpose...I asked him "Can I get a T for what I think?"... He said, in a disheveled voice, "NO Coach, You can't get t'd for what you think...I told , "Good, because I think you suck"

Got T'd

But he was fair and even more "on an equal plateau" with me from then on.

Like I say though, "If you're scared, buy a dog"

Reactions: FrozenLVFan
What I don't get is refs stay in the business for years and years, but don't seem to develop their skills.

I think it is the ole cliche of "do you have twenty years of experience or one year of experience 20 times over?"

A few years back, Maria Cornelius had a great tweet during a woefully officiated LV game. When the refs went to the replay monitor. She said (in paraphrase), unless they are looking at a manual on how to referee, this is a complete waste of time.

Reactions: Smallvol#1 and gule
"do you have twenty years of experience or one year of experience 20 times over?"
[/QUOTE]

That is my favorite quote of 2019
I have never heard it
and will reuse it

Reactions: madtownvol
“I asked him "Can I get a T for what I think?"... He said, in a disheveled voice, "NO Coach, You can't get t'd for what you think...I told , "Good, because I think you suck"

Got T'd”

Busted out laughing at this! 😂😂😂😂😂

VN Store

Back