SEC Network needs to expand

wmcovol

they have two extra channels that occassionally are used in football but never used otherwise. They need to begin using them more during baseball/softball season. When texas and OU come in, they'll ready need the channels with the increased inventory of games those schools play. The games are on SEC Network+ anyway so camera and announcers are there.

I agree, it's always perplexed me why they don't use it more outside of football season. Especially in the early basketball season, several basketball games are put on SEC+ that could/should be on the SEC Alternate. And with expanded baseball and softball coverage it makes even more sense.

At the very least seems like they'd figure out a way to utilize the alternate regionally. For example if Tennessee is playing ETSU in basketball in November, in Tennessee and areas outside TN close to Knoxville put the game on one of the alternate channels and make it SECN+ for every other region.

Football is the only sport for which the alternate channel makes any kind of decent ad revenue. So they make more off the SEC+ subscriptions than they do off ad revenue for everything else. That might change when Texas and OU join.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Football is the only sport for which the alternate channel makes any kind of decent ad revenue. So they make more off the SEC+ subscriptions than they do off ad revenue for everything else. That might change when Texas and OU join.

Doesn't everyone who has the SEC Network have access to SEC+, though? Right now, and I could see things changing in the future, it's not a separate service like ESPN+. To wmcovol's point, and I have no idea about running a television network so I'm not sure if there are additional complexities/costs at play relative to having dead air, it seems strange that there's all of this live content available to stream on ESPN's site/app but little of it is ever shown on the alternate SEC networks.

Doesn't everyone who has the SEC Network have access to SEC+, though? Right now, and I could see things changing in the future, it's not a separate service like ESPN+. To wmcovol's point, and I have no idea about running a television network so I'm not sure if there are additional complexities/costs at play relative to having dead air, it seems strange that there's all of this live content available to stream on ESPN's site/app but little of it is ever shown on the alternate SEC networks.

You're right, but running an online streaming service is cheaper for ESPN than running a network. They get nothing extra from the cable/satellite companies for the alternate channels, nor do they get any extra subscriber revenue. They have to pay for the broadcast thru ad revenue. The baked-in subscriber dollars for the streaming service more than pay for the expense.

On Sling TV, the Pac-12 Network has 6 regional channels all with different daily programming. There's one each for Oregon, Washington, LA, Bay Area, Arizona and the Mountain states. I believe they are the only conference with that sort of lineup but if they can do it, why can't the SEC do something similar? At least channels dedicated for east and west.

Last edited:
On Sling TV, the Pac-12 Network has 6 regional channels all with different daily programming. There's one each for Oregon, Washington, LA, Bay Area, Arizona and the Mountain states. I believe they are the only conference with that sort of lineup but if they can do it, why can't the SEC do something similar? At least channels dedicated for east and west.

The Pac 12's model bleeds money. There's a reason no one has mimiced it.

Reactions: TrueOrange
What’s the point of programming multiple channels when everything is available via streaming anyway?

Reactions: volfanbill
Eventually I think they will rebrand the SEC alternate channels as SEC2 or SECNews like ESPN2 and ESPNNews

VN Store

Back