SEC Network- How Long You Gonna Wait?

People telling DTV that they will switch if they don't offer the SEC Network means little to nothing to them. That's why they have continued to "negotiate." Evidently, people are starting to get anxious that DTV hasn't signed yet, and are starting to make the switch as the season nears. THIS will get their attention. Sad thing is, it will be too late for people like me, who had been with them for about 12 years, but switched to ensure they got the SEC Network.

All of this is speculation on my part, but it seems like bad business to me.

The thing that sealed the deal for me (outside of the great deal I got from DISH) is the fact that DTV still (3 years later) hasn't signed the PAC12 Network. I know that the SEC Network should be in more demand than the PAC12, but the fact that they still haven't signed on to carry the PAC12 Network, to me at least, is cause for concern that they will drag their feet and milk this thing for every penny they can before they agree to offer it. Also see exhibit B, the Weather Channel.

I don't like playing stupid games, so I just switched and am done with it. Looking forward to a great experience with DISH.

I switched today myself to Dish, now I don't care what Directv does, I got a great deal and the Hopper/Joey system is outstanding. I will have the SEC Network for sure, game over for me.

The thing about cable companies is that they don't care. For some reason they think you'll stand by their side forever. I called Charter to ask about the SEC network and they told me the will "probably" have it sometime in September. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was promptly hung up on.

I also promptly called AT&T and signed up for U-Verse. So Charter you can kiss my ass and even though I'll miss my Tivo you'll never see one dime from me again.

Reactions: 2 people
The thing about cable companies is that they don't care. For some reason they think you'll stand by their side forever. I called Charter to ask about the SEC network and they told me the will "probably" have it sometime in September. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was promptly hung up on.

I also promptly called AT&T and signed up for U-Verse. So Charter you can kiss my ass and even though I'll miss my Tivo you'll never see one dime from me again.

Good for you! Vol fans everywhere should dump Charter, Comcast or DTV when they start with their lip service about carrying the SEC Network and pickup a Uverse or Dish because they get it the others are completing missing what it means to be a Vol or a SEC fan!

Last edited:

I did the same thing. F$?! charter! I didn't go with uverse I got Dish, but charter can go to h3ll. I've also taken the added step of moving all of the offices with my company I can off of charter as well. They may not miss the 200 a month I gave them, but I bet they'll miss the 6k - 10k a month (depending on how many I can move) they'll lose from my company. F$&! You charter!

Reactions: 1 person
People telling DTV that they will switch if they don't offer the SEC Network means little to nothing to them. That's why they have continued to "negotiate." Evidently, people are starting to get anxious that DTV hasn't signed yet, and are starting to make the switch as the season nears. THIS will get their attention. Sad thing is, it will be too late for people like me, who had been with them for about 12 years, but switched to ensure they got the SEC Network.

All of this is speculation on my part, but it seems like bad business to me.

The thing that sealed the deal for me (outside of the great deal I got from DISH) is the fact that DTV still (3 years later) hasn't signed the PAC12 Network. I know that the SEC Network should be in more demand than the PAC12, but the fact that they still haven't signed on to carry the PAC12 Network, to me at least, is cause for concern that they will drag their feet and milk this thing for every penny they can before they agree to offer it. Also see exhibit B, the Weather Channel.

I don't like playing stupid games, so I just switched and am done with it. Looking forward to a great experience with DISH.

I stay very patient with DirecTV. Mainly for several reasons I have already stated:

1) NFL Sunday Ticket. I love my football. Tennessee and the Cowboys. Gotta have both. Check.

2) Weather Channel: The Weather Channel actually acted like a fool, not DirecTV. The Weather Channel actually viewed too much reality TV shows, and all I could see is my "Local on the 8s" ... Now when there is any bad weather, ANYWHERE in the country, they show the weather, not the reality shows. Lets not forget about how the Weather channel started destroying DirecTV to get people their weather over reality, and then the Weather Channel started kissing DirecTV's butt and came back a few months later. Check.

3) Being a Dallas area fan, rooting for all Dallas teams besides UT and Gonzaga, I have to watch Gonzaga too. I cannot get all Gonzaga games on Dish Network. Nope.

4) Pac12 Network? They showed a total of maybe 3 games I was (Slightly) interested in. And most of that was in November. As an SEC Guy living in SEC/Big XII country, and a follower of the Big Ten, I could care less. I have the Big Ten Network, Gameplan, and everything else I need. Guarantee you the Pac12 network would have been added if the proposed alignment with Texas, OU, Texas Tech and such would have joined in. Fact is nobody really cares about the west, and that's really sad. They have great football out there.

5) Their remote control is a lot better.

Im going to stay patient with DirecTV. If they don't sign by August 31st, I will go over to my step-father in laws house and drink beer and watch the Vols game.

But I don't see that happening.

I stay very patient with DirecTV. Mainly for several reasons I have already stated:

1) NFL Sunday Ticket. I love my football. Tennessee and the Cowboys. Gotta have both. Check.

2) Weather Channel: The Weather Channel actually acted like a fool, not DirecTV. The Weather Channel actually viewed too much reality TV shows, and all I could see is my "Local on the 8s" ... Now when there is any bad weather, ANYWHERE in the country, they show the weather, not the reality shows. Lets not forget about how the Weather channel started destroying DirecTV to get people their weather over reality, and then the Weather Channel started kissing DirecTV's butt and came back a few months later. Check.

3) Being a Dallas area fan, rooting for all Dallas teams besides UT and Gonzaga, I have to watch Gonzaga too. I cannot get all Gonzaga games on Dish Network. Nope.

4) Pac12 Network? They showed a total of maybe 3 games I was (Slightly) interested in. And most of that was in November. As an SEC Guy living in SEC/Big XII country, and a follower of the Big Ten, I could care less. I have the Big Ten Network, Gameplan, and everything else I need. Guarantee you the Pac12 network would have been added if the proposed alignment with Texas, OU, Texas Tech and such would have joined in. Fact is nobody really cares about the west, and that's really sad. They have great football out there.

5) Their remote control is a lot better.

Im going to stay patient with DirecTV. If they don't sign by August 31st, I will go over to my step-father in laws house and drink beer and watch the Vols game.

But I don't see that happening.

First level headed thing I've read in a while.

Switching companies and possibly signing a 2 year contract all because you might have to make alternate arrangements for 1, maybe 2, football games does not strike me as wise.

First level headed thing I've read in a while.

Switching companies and possibly signing a 2 year contract all because you might have to make alternate arrangements for 1, maybe 2, football games does not strike me as wise.
I switched to Dish to save $35 a month (and that's with a $20 monthly discount from Directv) for the same level of programming I was getting, plus I got upgraded equipment and a guarantee that I will have the SEC Network. It is a 2 year deal, I'll switch again in 2 years if Directv or another provider can save me some money and has the SEC Network. It's just TV, I have no provider loyalty.

I switched to Dish to save $35 a month (and that's with a $20 monthly discount from Directv) for the same level of programming I was getting, plus I got upgraded equipment and a guarantee that I will have the SEC Network. It is a 2 year deal, I'll switch again in 2 years if Directv or another provider can save me some money and has the SEC Network. It's just TV, I have no provider loyalty.

And that's perfectly fine.

My point was I wouldn't leave a service I was happy with and get myself into a 24 month contract if I thought I could just find another way to watch the game.

Essentially, I wouldn't make a 2 year decision over 8 hours of football.

If someone could make the switch and come out ahead, by all means, switch.

If someone is wanting to switch to dish, feel free to message me about putting me down as referring you. I think we each get $25 if we do so. Volnation might as well benefit from this.

VN Store

Back