SEC Funeral

Several years ago I was asked to preach a funeral for an avid Bama fan down there. Bama fans on one side, Barn fans on the other... I started, "Good evening from Knoxville, Tennessee... GO VOLS!" True. Top that, Preacher Webb...

Actually it sounds as though the Lord was using you to bring them all together (common enemy and all that you know).

Several years ago I was asked to preach a funeral for an avid Bama fan down there. Bama fans on one side, Barn fans on the other... I started, "Good evening from Knoxville, Tennessee... GO VOLS!" True. Top that, Preacher Webb...

Did you get off to a ROCKY start?

He could have told them "Orange ju glad to see me?"

Or Jesus was an avid Volunteer!

Reactions: DixieVol
You said it, not me, Carl

This seems to be the perfect spot for a joke I heard several years ago.

Alabama fan, on his first day, was taking a stroll down the streets of heaven, with Saint Peter as his tour guide.

One beautiful mansion after another. As they reach a small hill, a white mansion, trimmed in crimson, sitting on 10 acres with beautiful lawn and rose bushes. St. Peter, says..That is where Coach Bear Bryant Now resides.

They continue walking, and as they reach the top of a hill, they looked down on an estate of 50 acres with 25,000 sq.ft. mansion, painted Tennessee Orange, trimmed in white and a power T imposed on every window.

The Alabama fan gasped and says to St Peter..Why does General Neyland have a bigger mansion than Bear Bryant, when Bear won more championships?

Saint Peter says...be very careful, that is not where the general lives..that's where GOD lives!

Isn’t that akin to pissing on the grave?

I thought the same. If you can't respect the dead, not much hope for you as a person. Of course, I may be perceived as a humorless asshat or not being raised right for this but in my view, there are some lines you just don't cross.

Classless.

I had a good friend pass about 6 months ago. At the celebration of life ceremony the preacher asked for a show of hands of anyone who was a bammer fan, no one raised their hand. The preacher said “good, I was going to have to ask you to leave, I was instructed by the deceased there would be no bammer fans at his service. He spoke to us Vol fans from the grave. That was legendary, I will never forget that

I know enough not to be an dork at a funeral.

Yep. I question the Veracity of this "Preacher's" Post. Funeral = Respect for the Dead. Based on some of the comments; How the Standards have fallen. God is not about Football; and Passing on is nothing to joke about. I'm sure many on here don't want the truth, but there it is. OK Yall can fire away; No bother to me.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
We joke and pick about ours and other fan bases, but our Lord gave his life that ALL might come to Salvation. Our decision about Christ is the most important decision in this lifetime, nothing else is remotely close. Joking at a funeral depends on the crowd and if I didn't personally know the people to have insight on whether they would see the humor, I wouldn't joke about it myself.

We joke and pick about ours and other fan bases, but our Lord gave his life that ALL might come to Salvation. Our decision about Christ is the most important decision in this lifetime, nothing else is remotely close. Joking at a funeral depends on the crowd and if I didn't personally know the people to have insight on whether they would see the humor, I wouldn't joke about it myself.
Very good post alaVOL...I appreciate it!

Thanks to all posters... pro and con.

The deceased was a great family man, saved by the grace of God, AND a life-long Alabama fan. At the funeral, Bama fans sat on the left, Auburn fans on the right. I guess it takes another preacher to understand that a little humor is often helpful to introduce a somber service. The visitation before the funeral was a true celebration of life, along with the usual give and take between fans.

The point of my message was that ultimately, everyone in that room will face this day, and that knowing you have a personal, experiential relationship with Christ through the New Birth, is the only thing that will matter then.

By the way, the response was great, from both camps. Of course, knowing the win-loss records out of Knoxville in recent years made the humor acceptable.

Yep. I question the Veracity of this "Preacher's" Post. Funeral = Respect for the Dead. Based on some of the comments; How the Standards have fallen. God is not about Football; and Passing on is nothing to joke about. I'm sure many on here don't want the truth, but there it is. OK Yall can fire away; No bother to me.
Lol.

Reactions: cgrish

VN Store

Back