SEC East champs: what year under CJP?

chrismc1000

I remember some on here said 3 years is all he needed and when I said he needed atleast 4 to 5 full years of recruiting I was told I didn't know anything. Well the first two seasons went as I pretty much expected except for last season. Our offense under CJP still needs help our defense is doing amazing. So question is do some of y'all still think this year is when we win the east or have y'all changed your minds?

My biggest fear here is Florida. It pains me to say this but Mullen is doing a pretty good job and Florida has the advantage of being in one of the most talent rich states in the Union. If FSU and Miami continue to suck it up and Mullen locks down Florida recruiting wise they are going to be tough to beat.

I hate Florida.

I remember some on here said 3 years is all he needed and when I said he needed atleast 4 to 5 full years of recruiting I was told I didn't know anything. Well the first two seasons went as I pretty much expected except for last season. Our offense under CJP still needs help our defense is doing amazing. So question is do some of y'all still think this year is when we win the east or have y'all changed your minds?

Good observations.
I think the only reason for not making it this year may be the QB position. This position has not "come together" as he staff likely envisioned. On the other hand, the defense maybe a little ahead of exceptions. And now an offensive line that looks like a dream machine in the making could launch a running game with several able choices into being near or the best in the SEC. So can these pluses make up the difference, time and c19 will tell. Bye the way, having a QB on staff who was not the superstar type, but won the championship who could help JG with the head game may, be something we are not thanking about. Might be a real factor if that help transpires.

My biggest fear here is Florida. It pains me to say this but Mullen is doing a pretty good job and Florida has the advantage of being in one of the most talent rich states in the Union. If FSU and Miami continue to suck it up and Mullen locks down Florida recruiting wise they are going to be tough to beat.

I hate Florida.
For the very reasons you state about the environment the live and are playing in Fla. is and will always be tough to beat. Now after several years, they now have a really good coach. I think one of the beat. Mullen and our guy seem to have the same type personality sorta understated. The difference to me is Mullen is a few years ahead of Coach P in his career. So, Fla is and will always be a tough win for us or anybody. That is to say, you may beat them, but it will be tough going.

I hate Florida.

I very sadly think you are probably right. I wish Florida had whiffed their hire but they lucked into getting Mullen, rather than another shark humper. I still think Pruitt and staff are better coaches and at spotting talent but Mullen is certainly a good coach and they have rich recruiting grounds. Pruitt/Kirby/Mullen is going to make the East a murderers row. But then again, look at all the talented coaches in the west too.

I hate Florida.
Except Mullen is lying to all the recruits so they are leaving the program. I expect that program to implode soon. He is such a goober.

9-3 will be a major step in the right direction this season:cool:

That would mean beating 1 team, on paper, we shouldn't beat and winning the games UT is supposed to win.

That needs to be the expectation. If you meet that expectation and continue to sign players you need then the built-in losses soon diminish.

I am going to say 3 more seasons....

This year we are building, but not quite there yet to really take UGA, FL and Bama wins across the board. Plus with COVID-19, our EEs did not have a spring to acclimate to SEC football. So their first real experience will be Fall Camp...too early.

Next year we will be built out and deep, but with FL and BAMA away, not sure we can take both those on the road. We may compete for the SEC East and SEC Championship, but will have 1-2 SEC losses, so I do not feel confident about the NC....New Year's Bowl is well within reach.

The following year, we will be stronger, deeper and have FL and BAMA in Neyland....that is the year we win the SEC East, play in the SEC Championship game, and likely have maybe 1 loss and are in the NC picture--depending upon the SEC Championship game.

Florida has finished in the Top 10 the last two seasons and not won the East.

So, at this point, you can have a pretty damn good team and not win the division.

These last two years would kick the crap out of the McElwain teams that did win the division.

I wouldn’t necessarily use winning the division as the measuring stick

I think 2021 will be the year .... the QB situation will be much better by then.

With the changes happening with UGA and Florida......there is a chance for 2020..........but I feel more comfortable with 2021.

Georgia is interesting to me. I feel I should be more concerned about them, especially with the talent on that roster. I have just not been terribly impressed with a lot of decisions Smart has made on and off the field. Honestly, I think he is Richt 2.0 who we beat 60% of the time back in the day.

I hate Florida.

Me personally, I don't see him being a better coach than Pruitt, I would rather have a defensive minded HC vs. an Offensive minded............jmo

Georgia is interesting to me. I feel I should be more concerned about them, especially with the talent on that roster. I have just not been terribly impressed with a lot of decisions Smart has made on and off the field. Honestly, I think he is Richt 2.0 who we beat 60% of the time back in the day.
We were 5-10 against Richt. We are 1-3 against Smart and have lost by an average of about 4 touchdowns per game the last 3 years. I am worried about Georgia, AND Florida. You have to be an idiot not to be until we prove we can beat more than the traditional divisional also-rans.

Florida has finished in the Top 10 the last two seasons and not won the East.

So, at this point, you can have a pretty damn good team and not win the division.

These last two years would kick the crap out of the McElwain teams that did win the division.

I wouldn’t necessarily use winning the division as the measuring stick

True. The SEC E from '13-'16 was hot garbage. UT fans should be thankful Butch didn't stumble into an E title. UT would've given him a 10 year contract and named a street after him.

I think Butch Jones would probably still be head coach if Tennessee had went 7-5 in 2017 and went to a bowl game.
No doubt about it. What's crazy is, the wins were there for the taking. UF, S. Carolina, and UK were all winnable games. If UT wins those 3 they are 7-2 going into the Mizzou game. Instead, after the S. Carolina loss it went all to hell.

VN Store

Back