SEC Commissioner on spring practice

All of the focus on the argument that only old people get it is a debasing and dehumanising viewpoint and it and suggests that the elderly do not matter. Older people are still a part of the community. They are our parents, grandparents and the like. Current estimates of the number of people who may die from this virus when it finally runs its course in this country alone are in the range of 500,000. Regardless of the segment of the population being affected, that is a lot of people.

And I haven't even said any thing about how this virus has already begun to and will eventually swamp the infrastructure of our healthcare system and how that will effect treatment that everyone gets.

This. Outside of something happening to my wife or child, my number one nightmare would be my 80 year old dad catching this. The fact that people are bitching about taking preventive measures just because it affects mostly old people is unfathomable.

I don’t disagree that we should be taking this seriously. My wife is still recovering from her cancer treatments and is extremely vulnerable. So, I understand the need to take proper precautions but with that said I also understand that a large majority of the population isn’t that susceptible to the virus. People like myself need to exercise caution but the economy doesn’t need to be destroyed for a small minority of the population; common sense has to be applied as well. If this were a true humanity threatening pandemic like the Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, or the Spanish Flu then yes drastic measures would need to be taken in order to save humanity.

Blessings and good health to your wife.
My wife had Ovarian Cancer and surgery two years ago; now doing primarily self-treatments (certainly with help/advice from her doctor). These things hit a little closer to home for some.

Having said all that, IMO, we have been played!

If you do any research and don’t just take what comes from your TV or phone broadcasts you might actually come to an intelligent answer to that question. The number of covid-19 “infections” are growing so fast is because 95% of the world is just now getting access to a means to verify the virus. How many of the people sent home from the doctor/clinic with “flu-like” symptoms actually had covid-19? How would a seriously deadly virus (?) create only 100,000 confirmed cases in a province of over 38 million people. Wuhan province has 38 million people in an area approximately the size of Rhode Island. Were you aware of that?

Reactions: Smokeyone
Wrong. Are you getting this from MSNBC? Yes, the hospitals are overcrowded. Why? Because everyone with a sniffle and cough assumes they’re dying when it’s usually just a cold or the flu. Or even if it’s corona, they’ll be fine. Meanwhile, that is LEADING to more elderly deaths. The freak out and the panic is doing that. People who aren’t in danger are taking beds from those who actually need help. It is not a serious illness to healthy people under 55 by and large! This has been noted everywhere Corona is at! Look it up.

More people died today in a car accident than from COVID. Are we losing our minds and avoiding cars? More people, especially younger people, were infected by H1N1 and by a HUGE margin. Where was this panic? It was killing and hospitalizing children by the hundreds. I think 700 million plus people had it worldwide.

Around 23% of Italy’s population is aged over 65, the largest proportion in the EU and 2nd largest in the world. More than 4m Italians are aged 80 and over.

As of Tuesday, 35% of those who have died from coronavirus in Italy were aged between 70 and 79, and 43% were aged 80-89, according to the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, the technical-scientific arm of the country’s national health service.

Facts.
To tag onto that, check out the mortality rates of the 2015 outbreak of the swine flu in the US. I don’t remember the entire country shut down then. No cries of the government was too slow to react. Over 25000 died in our country alone. Tragic, yes, but not out of the ordinary. Any new strain of an existing virus has to be processed by our immune systems.

When I'm not working I just read the news and watch as much as I can from many sources, like you, maybe. If it is being reported by all reputable sources that Italy's system of healthcare has been "swamped" by this sudden wave of COVID19 cases then I guess I will believe it until I see credible proof to believe otherwise. When someone starts quoting numbers and statistics I immediately remind myself that such things are always relative. What is the source of your information?

The single source the we are swamped stories got out of hand. I just cant believe that 2,200 cases of pneumonia is too much for a 1st world country. A city or very rural province sure, temporarily.

If you do any research and don’t just take what comes from your TV or phone broadcasts you might actually come to an intelligent answer to that question. The number of covid-19 “infections” are growing so fast is because 95% of the world is just now getting access to a means to verify the virus. How many of the people sent home from the doctor/clinic with “flu-like” symptoms actually had covid-19? How would a seriously deadly virus (?) create only 100,000 confirmed cases in a province of over 38 million people. Wuhan province has 38 million people in an area approximately the size of Rhode Island. Were you aware of that?
I look at active, critical and new cases.

How is it fair that SEC schools are shut down from practice, meetings, S&C workouts, weight rooms, and training table meals, when other conferences are allowing their schools to continue? Such as OU?? To me this is a huge disadvantage

Reactions: onevol74
To compensate the schools that shut down this spring they should be allowed additional early fall practices. Schools that continue this spring should be monitored to ensure they do not have any additional fall practices. Violators should have to forfeit early season games.

How is it fair that SEC schools are shut down from practice, meetings, S&C workouts, weight rooms, and training table meals, when other conferences are allowing their schools to continue? Such as OU?? To me this is a huge disadvantage

Don't think that is accurate. Pretty sure OU also cancelled spring practice.

All team activities suspended

• AAC: Conference-wide (canceled)
  • ACC: Conference-wide (canceled)
  • Big Ten: Conference-wide (until April 6)
  • Big 12:(until March 23)
  • Independent: Notre Dame
  • MAC: Conference-wide
  • Pac-12: Conference-wide (until March 29)
  • SEC: Conference-wide (canceled)
Spring games canceled
  • ACC: Conference-wide
  • Big Ten: Conference-wide (until April 6)
  • Independents: Notre Dame
  • AAC: Conference-wide
  • MAC: Conference-wide
  • Pac-12: Conference-wide (until March 29)
  • SEC: Conference-wide

Reactions: WiscVol
I look at active, critical and new cases.
Nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that the active is a completely ambiguous number. Due to the newness of the testing, a significant number of cases who have had a case of the virus and responded normally is completely unknown. So many people MAY have already had it that the numbers are irrevocably skewed.

The seasonal flu doesn’t kill 2-3% of the people who contract it. I’ve had the flu vaccine so I likely won’t get it.
And I’m not afraid. But as citizens of this country we all need to do what we can to prevent this from spreading more than it is. If we want to see any sports at all this summer and fall we better.
I wish you the very best, but I think you might have a false sense of security if you think this somehow gives you more protection (however small that might be) than you otherwise might have.

Nothing wrong with that. The only problem is that the active is a completely ambiguous number. Due to the newness of the testing, a significant number of cases who have had a case of the virus and responded normally is completely unknown. So many people MAY have already had it that the numbers are irrevocably skewed.
The reasoning is comparing active to the total allows to track longer term change. For instance Hubie province in China has 67800 cases of the virus confirmed but only 3,000 active cases. So the rest either died or recovered. We should start seeing the same thing in Seattle.

Oh ok so you're not an expert
You dont have to be a subject matter expect to look at data points. People can read, research, draw conclusions from basic data.

Its actually a better idea than skimming memes and headlines and reacting to that without data.

For instance
Headline:
Italians over 80 'will be left to die' as country overwhelmed by coronavirus

1st paragraph
Coronavirus victims in Italy will be denied access to intensive care if they are aged 80 or more or in poor health should pressure on beds increase, a document prepared by a crisis management unit in Turin proposes.

Some patients denied intensive care will in effect be left to die, doctors fear
---‐-----------
What that doesn't mention is that isnt reality. It's from a hypothetical paper written as protocols in a worst case situation that hasnt happened. It's triage guidance that is nowhere near happening. Currently Italy has 2,200 cases requiring intensive care because of pneumonia from the Cov 19 virus. 2,200 cases nation wide doesn't mean Papa is going to be left to die so they can save a person more likely to make it. That's just absurd. But if you just read or skimmed the widely distributed article you might actually believe folks are having to kill their parents to attempt to save their kid.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back