SEC Commissioner on spring practice

I believe that the 2020 fall football season is in jeopardy. I hope I'm wrong. I think we as a nation have been far too slow and disorganized in taking the extreme corrective action necessary to end this pandemic.
Yes indeed the 2020 season is in Jeopardy, it will take 2 cycles for the Virus to run its life, which the virus will slow down in the summer months and then reappear again in the fall according to the Experts, by then after the second cycle we will have a Vaccine for it, so no more sports till the summer of 21, according to the so called EXPERT, i am not saying this the so called experts are, hope they are wrong but i am afraid they are not wrong, still saying a year away from a Vaccine and them it will take time to get to the public, thats SUCKS, but thats where we are at.

Reactions: esarmstrong
China is irrelevant at this point. Their stats aren’t trustworthy at all no matter what they put out. Roughly 100 people have died in the US. 85+ of those are over 55 years old. It isn’t affecting children really at all to this point. Healthy adults who have tested positive have had very minimal symptoms or even no symptoms at all. Research interviews with people who have actually had it and listen to them. They said it’s basically a mild cold, unless they’re older or have a preexisting health condition.

100 mostly elderly people have died out of 300 million and we’ve shut our entire way of life and economy down. Imagine what Russia and China think? Hmmm, this is all it takes to destroy America? Who needs nukes? Just plant a cold/flu virus and Americans lose their damn minds.

Fear is the real virus here.
China didn;t lie to the world. they did this to ruin every economy in the world, because theirs was tanking. now they're on equal ground with the world again.

Wrong. Are you getting this from MSNBC? Yes, the hospitals are overcrowded. Why? Because everyone with a sniffle and cough assumes they’re dying when it’s usually just a cold or the flu. Or even if it’s corona, they’ll be fine. Meanwhile, that is LEADING to more elderly deaths. The freak out and the panic is doing that. People who aren’t in danger are taking beds from those who actually need help. It is not a serious illness to healthy people under 55 by and large! This has been noted everywhere Corona is at! Look it up.

More people died today in a car accident than from COVID. Are we losing our minds and avoiding cars? More people, especially younger people, were infected by H1N1 and by a HUGE margin. Where was this panic? It was killing and hospitalizing children by the hundreds. I think 700 million plus people had it worldwide.

Around 23% of Italy’s population is aged over 65, the largest proportion in the EU and 2nd largest in the world. More than 4m Italians are aged 80 and over.

As of Tuesday, 35% of those who have died from coronavirus in Italy were aged between 70 and 79, and 43% were aged 80-89, according to the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, the technical-scientific arm of the country’s national health service.

Facts.

Judging from the reaction we have seen to this relatively minor virus, I shudder to think of how we will all react to a bird flu pandemic with a 25 percent mortality rate. I guess governments across the world would just issue cyanide pills so everyone could go ahead and off themselves.

Whatever, I am going to soon transfer a good chunk of money into my TD ameritrade account so that I can feed off the fears of the stupid people out there and make a bundle when the market goes back up.

Nope. Working from home since Friday. But I’m not letting this thing control my life. There’s no reason we cannot live normally right now. There are more active flu cases than Corona right now. You’re much more likely to get the flu and they’re equally serious. If you’re 75 years old, the flu can kill you as quick as COVID. Nothing has changed. If you get a cough, don’t run to the ER. Don’t overcrowd hospitals and clinics if you’re a normally healthy person. That’s it. That’s all we need to do.

You have the virus. The virus is FEAR! You’ve talked yourself into a corner.
The seasonal flu doesn’t kill 2-3% of the people who contract it. I’ve had the flu vaccine so I likely won’t get it.
And I’m not afraid. But as citizens of this country we all need to do what we can to prevent this from spreading more than it is. If we want to see any sports at all this summer and fall we better.

I agree with all of this, including the part about me watching too many movies. Ask my wife. I also think that the football season ahead is in serious jeopardy.

I don’t disagree that we should be taking this seriously. My wife is still recovering from her cancer treatments and is extremely vulnerable. So, I understand the need to take proper precautions but with that said I also understand that a large majority of the population isn’t that susceptible to the virus. People like myself need to exercise caution but the economy doesn’t need to be destroyed for a small minority of the population; common sense has to be applied as well. If this were a true humanity threatening pandemic like the Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, or the Spanish Flu then yes drastic measures would need to be taken in order to save humanity.

It’s an effin cold bro. We as a nation have completely overreacted and ruined our economical growth because of a flu bug that’s only killing (85%) senior citizens. That’s not a lack of sympathy. If someone who’s 85 gets the normal flu they’d likely die. Most people who are getting COVID have extremely minor symptoms. That’s a fact.

We should quarantine all people over 60 and the rest of us can go on business as usual. Clay Travis is right yet again.
Seems you're afflicted w something far worse than the virus, a really bad case of dumbazzery.. Respectfully..

It’s completely based on CDC data. Every stat is backed up by data. You’re posting a theoretical piece by a professor who knows nothing and is making assumptions. He’s writing a piece about unreliable data in which he cannot possibly know whatever he deems is the “real data”.
Until we have better and more reliable data, we are still dealing with an as of yet unclear potential to the health and well being of humanity. Doesn't it make more sense to be guarded and circumspect in our approach now than wait until it is too late. I for one will be very happy if in 2-3 months or weeks from now to have to eat crow and say we over-reacted.

Reactions: kcvols1
Unfortunately, you can’t just shut everything down and pretend it will be normal. People rely on supermarkets, pharmacies, banks, etc to survive, not to mention many businesses could not afford the lost profits or be able to pay their workers. You don’t shut the entire society down and cause irreparable harm due to a couple of unfortunate areas. How do you think people would respond to going days without additional food supplies or weeks without a paycheck? You have seen too many movies. This is not the end of humanity
I saw a news report last night on one of the Chattanooga TV stations that even truck stops are shutting down. If trucks don't move, the stores don't get restocked. The hoarding that has already taken place will get even worse if that happens. I'm 66, be 67 in June, and I haven't changed my routine at all. I think Wormwood is right about over-reaction, maybe just be a little more sensitive with his choice of words. And no, I'm not a Democrat, I am a conservative person by nature, and the policies of the left will destroy this country. I just wanted to voice my opinion, nothing more.

People like myself need to exercise caution but the economy doesn’t need to be destroyed for a small minority of the population; .

So is 17% of the population (those 65 and up in the US) a small minority? Is 3.4% (those that are most likely to perish in this scenario - or ~20% of those 65+) a small minority? That’s about 9 million people in the US. Might that be enough to overwhelm the emergency care system?

If it was one of my parents on a ventilator because they decided to go to bible study, I think I’d wish they’d have erred on the side of caution.

I’ll table the debate about whether the economy will be destroyed in this. Suffice to say I don’t think it will. Jeff Bezos’ wallet will certainly get fatter, though.

If you’re still convinced the world is ending, I can’t help you Chicken Little.
There's a difference between the world ending and whether or not a football season will be played...no way this thing is cleared out by then. Doesn't mean everyone's dying, etc, but China has the ability to tell everyone if you go outside your house, we'll shoot you or take you away...We put in shelter in place, and everyone thinks it's a vacation day...so, I believe our stretch will last longer.

And has anyone else seen the article from the Washington Post about a Harvard professor and two Chinese nationals being arrested as they were trying to leave the country back in January? The professor is a chemistry and biology scientist, one of the Chinese nationals is actually a member of the Chinese military, and the other one, when arrested, had 21 vials of who knows what hidden in a sock in their luggage. Both of the Chinese were using assumed identities, and the professor was being paid by, wait for it...the Wuhan Technical University. As I said, they were arrested in January, just as the covid-19 was coming here. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Reactions: tbh
Wrong answer. The reason Italy has been swamped by this pandemic has nothing to do with age. Their healthcare system was swamped with a title wave of new cases that quickly reached the point that they were not able to care for large numbers of patients. This essentially forced health care providers into "battlefield" decisions about who lives and who dies. Over 450 people died in Italy today. A new high. In New York there were over 1,000 new cases. So far the new case trend in New York is tracking that of Italy. Not good.

Lastly, it really is a shame that you have to try and politicize a health care pandemic issue with an irrelevant ad hominem jab regarding Democrats. It has nothing to do with this issue.
Italy has less than 30,000 active cases, 2,270 critical cases. They cannot handle numbers like that? They cannot deal with 2,300 cases of pneumonia? Does that make sense to you or seem reasonable?

I don’t disagree that we should be taking this seriously. My wife is still recovering from her cancer treatments and is extremely vulnerable. So, I understand the need to take proper precautions but with that said I also understand that a large majority of the population isn’t that susceptible to the virus. People like myself need to exercise caution but the economy doesn’t need to be destroyed for a small minority of the population; common sense has to be applied as well. If this were a true humanity threatening pandemic like the Bubonic Plague, Smallpox, or the Spanish Flu then yes drastic measures would need to be taken in order to save humanity.
My wife has MS and takes a medication for it that is an immunosuppressant. Even though she is very healthy (outside the MS) she has to be very careful not to be exposed to crap. She could get very sick from this bug.

China didn;t lie to the world. they did this to ruin every economy in the world, because theirs was tanking. now they're on equal ground with the world again.
Have you read Chung Kuo by David Wingrove?
"Chung Kuo is a series of science fiction novels written by David Wingrove. The novels present a future history of an Earth dominated by China."

They do so by destabilizing everything including themselves and rebuilding faster and ruthlessly killing any attempts by others to rebuild. Excellent reading material during quarantine.

"As of Tuesday, 35% of those who have died from coronavirus in Italy were aged between 70 and 79, and 43% were aged 80-89, according to the Istituto Superiore di Senility, the technical-scientific arm of the country’s national health service."

Seems you're afflicted w something far worse than the virus, a really bad case of dumbazzery.. Respectfully..
The biggest problem with someone who communicates an argument laced with ad hominem personal garbage is that it does nothing to help get ones point across. It only serves to antagonise.

Reactions: bagofvols
"As of Tuesday, 35% of those who have died from coronavirus in Italy were aged between 70 and 79, and 43% were aged 80-89, according to the Istituto Superiore di Senility, the technical-scientific arm of the country’s national health service."
All of the focus on the argument that only old people get it is a debasing and dehumanising viewpoint and it and suggests that the elderly do not matter. Older people are still a part of the community. They are our parents, grandparents and the like. Current estimates of the number of people who may die from this virus when it finally runs its course in this country alone are in the range of 500,000. Regardless of the segment of the population being affected, that is a lot of people.

And I haven't even said any thing about how this virus has already begun to and will eventually swamp the infrastructure of our healthcare system and how that will effect treatment that everyone gets.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Italy has less than 30,000 active cases, 2,270 critical cases. They cannot handle numbers like that? They cannot deal with 2,300 cases of pneumonia? Does that make sense to you or seem reasonable?
When I'm not working I just read the news and watch as much as I can from many sources, like you, maybe. If it is being reported by all reputable sources that Italy's system of healthcare has been "swamped" by this sudden wave of COVID19 cases then I guess I will believe it until I see credible proof to believe otherwise. When someone starts quoting numbers and statistics I immediately remind myself that such things are always relative. What is the source of your information?

VN Store

Back