SEC Blue-bloods versus modern SEC teams

I am curious to how you, my fellow VOL, fans feel towards the last four teams to become members of our conference and, how you feel about Texas and Oklahoma joining.

Though Arkansas and USCe have been here long enough that they don’t feel (any more) as much as outsiders. Still, I don’t truly see them as SEC. I think Spurrior had USCe in the SECCG twice. Arkansas, I think, has been in it once, maybe twice. Both have been in the league almost 30 years.

Mizzou and aTm have been in the league for almost a decade. I do recall a Mizzou receiver jabbering about SEC speed only for them to have a terrible first season. Granted, Mizzou did make two SeCCG appearances after that but that was when the East was down.

Other than increased TV revenue, I just don’t see how they contribute to the SEC. What are your thoughts?

As for Oklahoma and Texas, I just don’t see them being as dominant here as they are in the BIG VII. They just wont be able to run the gauntlet of a SEC schedule and hold up. Especially if they are places in the West.

How do you guys feel about the additions to the SEC in the last three decades? DO you feel as though they are SEC?

I was skeptical at first, but I’m digging that we may get to play all the extradivisional members of the conference every other year.

I was going to have to wait years to get to College Station, Austin, or Norman. Maybe now not so many.

You’re right. I’m sure they’ll never play each other and if they do Oklahoma will definitely win.

More difficult competition couldn’t possibly lead to any more losses.

I’m just saying, for every step those 3 take in the positive, Oklahoma takes 2. They’ll never catch up at that pace.

Reactions: Elhanan
OU and Texas to the SEC makes about as much sense as WVa to the Big 12 did regionally. Stay on your own porch you greedy $&@/-“”!!!

UF, FSU and Miami are not CFB blue bloods, and that’s...okay.

Our state didn’t become relevant from a population standpoint until the late 70s. It’s no coincidence UF/FSU/UM became relevant nationally in the 80s and beyond.

That said, you’d be hard pressed to find a UF/FSU/UM fan who would trade their history since the 80s for what UT accomplished before integration and the widespread use of central air conditioning. 😂

I don't understand why people simply don't recognize that schools in larger population states were better than schools in lower population states simply because of the larger pool of athletes to draw from pre-1980.

I don't understand why people simply don't recognize that schools in larger population states were better than schools in lower population states simply because of the larger pool of athletes to draw from pre-1980.

It’s much easier to pound on UF for only being relevant the past four decades.

Reactions: Vindibudd
Mostly true, but the state of Alabama with both Auburn and Alabama winning far more National Championships with a far less population than than those schools from California, Texas and Florida would be the exception to that rule.

If we aren't good enough to beat them, we aren't good enough to beat them.

We've lost 4 SEC title games to them since 2009. They haven't been "out of sight, out of mind". If you want a championship, you have to beat them. If it's not them, it's another team that's national championship caliber. Alabama beat 4 teams that finished ranked in the top 7 last year. You don't win championships beating West Texas State. So, bring it on and if we lose, we lose.

This mentality that some of you carry that playing Alabama is the problem is one that I can't understand. Tennessee went 3-7 last season. One of the 5 best seasons the team has had since 2008, Tennessee lost to Georgia State.

If you were going 11-1, 10-2 every year and one of those was always Alabama, fine.

Playing Alabama has nothing to do with the other 11 games on the schedule.

I also can't understand how for Tennessee, this logic applies to Alabama, but not Florida. Since expansion in 1992, Tennessee is 10-18-1 vs. Alabama and 6-23 vs. Florida.

While I agree in principle to almost you said here, I think the original point (at least from my perspective) is that even if you lose the SEC Championship Game, there is some cache' to actually getting there, and playing for the title on the big stage.

Those chances have just diminished 10 fold, of at least appearing on the stage. And an extra 25 fold for us Vols.

Mostly true, but the state of Alabama with both Auburn and Alabama winning far more National Championships with a far less population than than those schools from California, Texas and Florida would be the exception to that rule.

Florida surpassed Alabama in population around the late 1960s, as central air conditioning became more prevalent in residential communities. At that point, Alabama had at least a half dozen national titles and AU had one.

Florida was the least populated state in the conference for several decades before the demographics shifted. We were essentially what Mississippi is now relative to the rest of the conference.

Florida surpassed Alabama in population around the late 1960s, as central air conditioning became more prevalent in residential communities. At that point, Alabama had at least a half dozen national titles and AU had one.

Florida was the least populated state in the conference for several decades before the demographics shifted. We were essentially what Mississippi is now relative to the rest of the conference.

I never knew that. Hard to believe, actually. Wow.

I checked and googled and showing Florida had a little smaller population in 1950 than Alabama, but had surpassed Alabama by at least 1960, and probably sometime in the late 1950’s. From that point on, and with a much larger population, Florida teams have produced far fewer N/C’s than the much smaller state of Alabama.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I checked and googled and showing Florida had a little smaller population in 1950 than Alabama, but had surpassed Alabama by at least 1960, and probably sometime in the late 1950’s. From that point on, and with a much larger population, Florida teams have produced far fewer N/C’s than the much smaller state of Alabama.

It was more likely the mid/late 60s when Florida’s population overtook Alabama’s. That’s when AC became widespread in homes. Up until that point it was literally too hot for many to live down here.

Florida schools have won 11 national titles, all of them taking place after 1980.

Alabama had a major head start on us (and Miami/FSU), and they’ve kept that tradition going.

Demographics, tradition, infrastructure and leadership were detriments to the success of Florida schools until what we now consider the modern era.

Alabama’s tradition, leadership and infrastructure overcomes any demographic shortcomings they may have now.

Last edited:

How about when you combine Florida teams? Florida - 3, FSU - 3, Miami - 5. So that’s 11 total. I’m not sure what Bama/Auburn have during that same span but it’s an interesting conversation.

How about when you combine Florida teams? Florida - 3, FSU - 3, Miami - 5. So that’s 11 total. I’m not sure what Bama/Auburn have during that same span but it’s an interesting conversation.

Oh, I forgot UCF’s “championship.” 😂😂😂

Reactions: RexTheWonderDog

From the late fifties—approximately the time Florida first exceeded Alabama’s population—Auburn has won 2 titles and Alabama has won 13 AP or Coaches poll championships. 15 Total.

Reactions: Jaws

Let's keep in mind though that Alabama is directly connected to Florida so it's not that bad a drive for recruiting purposes. Alabama has benefited from the population growth in Florida just as much as the Florida schools. Schools like Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi don't have the proximity that Alabama has had to the area and have unfortunately had a disadvantage.

Let's keep in mind though that Alabama is directly connected to Florida so it's not that bad a drive for recruiting purposes. Alabama has benefited from the population growth in Florida just as much as the Florida schools. Schools like Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi don't have the proximity that Alabama has had to the area and have unfortunately had a disadvantage.
True, and especially true the last 10 years or so as Saban made Bama a national brand.

I don't have an issue anymore and I'll explain why. Especially, with this move should it happen.

As I have gotten older, I prefer the harder scheduling. My only complaint about a hard schedule is that everyone else needs to play a hard schedule too. But, if we are all playing hard schedules, I'm good.

So, in Florida's case, Missouri, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, 3 Cupcakes.....the schedule doesn't excite me. And if any of the other regulars are down, it gets worse. Right now, Tennessee and FSU are down.

Well, with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma, should that move Alabama and Auburn to the East and the increased OOC moves Florida has made, it's an exciting prospect on a week to week basis. When Florida State and Tennessee improve, the schedule will be that much better.

I just want to be rewarded for that. I don't want Oregon, Clemson, etc, having a paved road to a playoff, while teams in the SEC are damn near playing an NFL schedule.

I agree with this. I love brutal schedules. But everyone should have a brutal schedule. It's the only way in the modern era to try and stop teams from winning every year and its the very best way to toughen up our Vols.

VN Store

Back