SEC Blue-bloods versus modern SEC teams

Okay, this is a barely-disguised attempt by a Florida fan (who pretends to be a Vols fan just to troll these boards) to get the Gators credit as one of the blue blood programs of the SEC.

They are not.

They are a founding member, just like Mississippi State. But for most of their existence, they've sucked even worse than the westernmost Bulldogs of the conference.

When we say blue blood, we mean royalty.

And when we talk about SEC blue bloods, General Neyland comes to mind. The old Tennessee - Bama rivalry comes to mind. Shug Jordan and Bear Bryant having at it, too. Vince Dooley at UGa. Archie Manning down at Ole Miss. Even the earliest years of the conference (and its predecessors), when Vandy was the hottest team in the region. Yes, even Vandy has a claim as an SEC blue blood.

But not Mississippi State. And not Florida.

Nice try, IknoxvolsI. But no cigar.

Florida is 1000% an elite program. Just because they sucked prior to 1970 doesn't mean they aren't up to Ole Miss's, ours, or even Auburn's level. No offense, fans and (more importantly) recruits don't care how good teams were in a pre-integration era. Since 1990, how many times have we had the better coach on the sidelines? (2002-2004 is the only time and that's our only 2 game winning streak in the past 30 years). That and the changing demographics is why Florida has lapped Ole Miss, Auburn, and us many times over.

Florida is 1000% an elite program. Just because they sucked prior to 1970 doesn't mean they aren't up to Ole Miss's, ours, or even Auburn's level. No offense, fans and (more importantly) recruits don't care how good teams were in a pre-integration era. Since 1990, how many times have we had the better coach on the sidelines? (2002-2004 is the only time and that's our only 2 game winning streak in the past 30 years). That and the changing demographics is why Florida has lapped Ole Miss, Auburn, and us many times over.
By "prior to 1970" I assume you mean "prior to 1990." Because that's when they stopped sucking. Everyone over 30 was alive when Florida was still an afterthought in the world of college football.

Their first 10-win season? 1991. Their first division championship? Same. Conference? Same. First national title? 1996.

It all happened for them after 1990. Took a Tennessee boy going down there to help them out of the murk they'd lived in their entire football history up to that point.

So when the talk is about blue blood programs, they're not included. At all. Maybe 100 years from now, if they continue to field good teams, they'll have made that cut. But as of now, no. They're a johnny-come-lately in the grand scheme of things.

Take off your gator jersey and helmet, Mojo.

All SEC schools integrated in football by 1972. In that time frame (49 years), we have beat them 7 times. We are 7-28 in that timeframe. When people talk about elite programs, they don't bring up Army, Navy, Minnesota, Ole Miss.

I'm a straight shooter and try to be objective. Florida is an elite program now. They have significant recruiting and demographic tailwinds that aren't going to subside in the near future. We are a historically elite program (although we haven't been nationally relevant in over a decade). Both things can be true.

A great definition of a blue blood/elite is they are able to exert influence in situations that others can't. You know who got the SEC championship game moved out of Birmingham - Steve Spurrier.

Last edited:
All SEC schools integrated in football by 1972. In that time frame (49 years), we have beat them 7 times. We are 7-28 in that timeframe. When people talk about elite programs, they don't bring up Army, Navy, Minnesota, Ole Miss.

I'm a straight shooter and try to be objective. Florida is an elite program now. They have significant recruiting and demographic tailwinds that aren't going to subside in the near future. We are a historically elite program (although we haven't been nationally relevant in over a decade). Both things can be true.

A great definition of a blue blood/elite is they are able to exert influence in situations that others can't. You know who got the SEC championship game moved out of Birmingham - Steve Spurrier.
Stop thinking in terms of identity politics, Mojo. There's too much of that in the world already. Everything doesn't have to be about race or gender or ethnicity. People can be individuals. Programs can stand on their own two feet, as individual programs.

Florida didn't stop sucking in 1972. They stopped sucking in 1990.

Go Vols!

Stop thinking in terms of identity politics, Mojo. There's too much of that in the world already. Everything doesn't have to be about race or gender or ethnicity. People can be individuals. Programs can stand on their own two feet, as individual programs.

Go Vols!

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

Go Vols!

It's not identity politics. In the SEC right now, over 60% of the players (and over 75% of those that will be drafted) could not play for every school prior to 1972. You might not like the "identity politics" but looking at what schools will be the elite teams in the future, I will look at current trends and population shifts rather than an era 50 years ago when when a majority of the best athletes couldn't play for every SEC school.

Eritrea and Somaliland don't like when people bring up "ancient history" (anything before 1991), either. Because they're just that young. Just like Florida's non-suck era. Heh.

Florida is the Eritrea or Somaliland of SEC football.

I’m a solid traditionalist but I like it. I went to the Oklahoma game in Norman in 2014 and thought it was great (even though we got our arses kicked). I’ll go back. And to Austin.
I’d rather they end up in the SEC than somewhere else

It's not identity politics. In the SEC right now, over 60% of the players (and over 75% of those that will be drafted) could not play for every school prior to 1972. You might not like the "identity politics" but looking at what schools will be the elite teams in the future, I will look at current trends and population shifts rather than an era 50 years ago when when a majority of the best athletes couldn't play for every SEC school.
Not talking politics with you, Mojo, esp. identity politics. Go to some other forum for that.

That's not at all what a blue blood is lol.

Blue bloods are teams that literally built up the sport and have elite tradition...top 10 all-time wins type of stuff. Tennessee is right on the border...maybe #9. The most common set you'll see are the 8 blue bloods - USC, OU, Texas, Alabama, Penn St, Michigan, OSU, and Nebraska.

Eritrea and Somaliland don't like when people bring up "ancient history" (anything before 1991), either. Because they're just that young. Just like Florida's non-suck era. Heh.

Florida is the Eritrea or Somaliland of SEC football.

I am not going to get into an argument, but I will just state that I believe Florida has been a quality program since the 1960's. They won the SEC in 1984 and probation took it away because we know they were the only program that cheated in the SEC in the 1980s, so they had to be punished.

Regardless, for most of the fans of the SEC currently walking the Earth, unless you are an Alabama grad/fan, you have seen Florida beat your team more than you've seen your team beat Florida.

Unless, that is, you go find Grandpa and in some cases Great Grandpa.

But, whatever. When people play the "you used to suck" or "your fans wear jorts" cards because that's all they've got, life is pretty good.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
I have enjoyed very few good TN games in the past 2 decades.

Might as well enjoy some other competitive games then.

If this leads to that I am fine.

UT is a woke college and football is not really a priority for them.

Reactions: davethevol
That's not at all what a blue blood is lol.

Blue bloods are teams that literally built up the sport and have elite tradition...top 10 all-time wins type of stuff. Tennessee is right on the border...maybe #9. The most common set you'll see are the 8 blue bloods - USC, OU, Texas, Alabama, Penn St, Michigan, OSU, and Nebraska.

Duke basketball is as blue blood as they come and they've been at this level about as long as UF football

UF, FSU and Miami are not CFB blue bloods, and that’s...okay.

Our state didn’t become relevant from a population standpoint until the late 70s. It’s no coincidence UF/FSU/UM became relevant nationally in the 80s and beyond.

That said, you’d be hard pressed to find a UF/FSU/UM fan who would trade their history since the 80s for what UT accomplished before integration and the widespread use of central air conditioning. 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Vindibudd
Wouldnt that be the setup with OU and TX joining?? 7 divison games, 1 permenant cross divison game, 1 rotating divison game. That's 9 games. You would almost have to play cupcakes in the OOC games
I think so. Man the SEC E would be intense. More teams/rivalries every year...and obviously adding more teams to HATE would be great...in my opinion.

Reactions: 901 Orange
By "prior to 1970" I assume you mean "prior to 1990." Because that's when they stopped sucking. Everyone over 30 was alive when Florida was still an afterthought in the world of college football.

Their first 10-win season? 1991. Their first division championship? Same. Conference? Same. First national title? 1996.

It all happened for them after 1990. Took a Tennessee boy going down there to help them out of the murk they'd lived in their entire football history up to that point.

So when the talk is about blue blood programs, they're not included. At all. Maybe 100 years from now, if they continue to field good teams, they'll have made that cut. But as of now, no. They're a johnny-come-lately in the grand scheme of things.

Take off your gator jersey and helmet, Mojo.

You are just ignorant.

Florida was good in the 60’s and again in the 80’s. They don’t have the hardware because of probation. Just because they don’t have the hardware does not mean they were not good.

Your “Tennessee boy” is actually from Florida. Stupid.

They are a blue blood just as Ole Miss, Mississippi State and all the pre ‘92 SEC teams and, that was the point in the original question in the original post.

You are just obsessed with any and all things Florida and try to make everyone out to be Florida trolls. Your antics are actually nauseating.

At the end of the day, you are just a fan. You may purchase a t-shirt but your fandom is no different than those fans of Bama. Other than said t-shirt, you have no investment in the program or the University itself. Just as with those loud Bama fans, You are not an alumni nor did you even attend the University. So, why don’t you swap to Crimson and go troll and harass those on Bama boards?.?.?.

Reactions: Vindibudd
You are just ignorant.

Florida was good in the 60’s and again in the 80’s. They don’t have the hardware because of probation. Just because they don’t have the hardware does not mean they were not good.

Your “Tennessee boy” is actually from Florida. Stupid.

They are a blue blood just as Ole Miss, Mississippi State and all the pre ‘92 SEC teams and, that was the point in the original question in the original post.

You are just obsessed with any and all things Florida and try to make everyone out to be Florida trolls. Your antics are actually nauseating.

At the end of the day, you are just a fan. You may purchase a t-shirt but your fandom is no different than those fans of Bama. Other than said t-shirt, you have no investment in the program or the University itself. Just as with those loud Bama fans, You are not an alumni nor did you even attend the University. So, why don’t you swap to Crimson and go troll and harass those on Bama boards?.?.?.

While I disagreed with him earlier, @VFL-82-JP is a longtime fan. He's not the typical frontrunning Gump fan...

Heh. And all the Florida trolls and visitors come floating to the surface. :)

It's actually a good thread. Reveals true colors.

I am curious to how you, my fellow VOL, fans feel towards the last four teams to become members of our conference and, how you feel about Texas and Oklahoma joining.

Though Arkansas and USCe have been here long enough that they don’t feel (any more) as much as outsiders. Still, I don’t truly see them as SEC. I think Spurrior had USCe in the SECCG twice. Arkansas, I think, has been in it once, maybe twice. Both have been in the league almost 30 years.

Mizzou and aTm have been in the league for almost a decade. I do recall a Mizzou receiver jabbering about SEC speed only for them to have a terrible first season. Granted, Mizzou did make two SeCCG appearances after that but that was when the East was down.

Other than increased TV revenue, I just don’t see how they contribute to the SEC. What are your thoughts?

As for Oklahoma and Texas, I just don’t see them being as dominant here as they are in the BIG VII. They just wont be able to run the gauntlet of a SEC schedule and hold up. Especially if they are places in the West.

How do you guys feel about the additions to the SEC in the last three decades? DO you feel as though they are SEC?

A&M was a good choice. Mizzou wasn't.

Big 12 needs to get Nebraska and Mizzou back.
OU and Texas looking for the SEC money is lame. Neither won can outright win a National Championship so they try join anyway to reap the benefits of the conference.

Ask Miami and Virginia Tech how much "success" moving to the ACC got them. They were legit powers in the Big East. ACC was supposed to become a super conference!!
Yeah...about that.

SEC has been a Super Conference for 20 years. They don't need to add anything.

I don't like adding Texas and Oklahoma, but the SEC had no real choice. If they didn't add them, the Pac-12 would've done it in a heartbeat. It's destiny, for better or worse.

Oklahoma and Texas will have tougher schedules now, but doesn't really make a difference. You have to go through the SEC to win a national title anyway. Every year, there are 1-2 dominant SEC teams in the playoff that are the main contenders. Doesn't really change anything for them, except they get more money.

As for Miami and VT, their decline has little to do with joining the ACC. Miami's just not been willing to keep up with other programs on facilities and has a fickle fan base. VT's rise to a national title contender under Frank Beamer was miraculous to begin with; it's not really that surprising that they haven't been able to stay near the top.

All that said, I don't think any of this is good for college football. I'm still an old school guy who likes a meaningful regular season and bowl games, rather than super-leagues and playoffs. But I also think it's basically inevitable. If the SEC didn't pull the trigger, someone else would've.

My feeling is none of the power brokers will give a damn what us commoners think if they see the opportunity for hundreds of millions more in revenue.

Kind of like the idea of adding TX and OK and cutting Missouri and Vandy myself but that won't happen.

VN Store

Back