SEC BEST AND WORSE CONFERENCE

fla orange

Undoubtedly the SEC is the best conference, but was just thinking gotta be the worst conference for Coaches! Think about all the pressure to succeed in the SEC, the Malzahn firing with a good overall record, Les Mike's at LSU , Sumlin (I'm sure mispelled) at A&M had good overall but did not win championships. 🤣 Pruitt fired for 3-7 season, dispite the NCAA investigation it was his record that got him fired. Plus 2 of our wins out of 3 the Coaches lost their job! Muschamp at S.carolina and Vandys Coach Derek Mason but believed fired before we played. Drink was first year Coach.

Big Ten has better coaches than the SEC.
Who?

I mean, aside from Ryan Day and James Franklin (but the latter only as a builder, not a championship-deliverer).

I would put Saban, Smart and Mullen up against any best-three from any other conference. I mean, let's look at the B10 as an example:

-- Saban is better than Day
-- Smart is better than Franklin
-- Mullen is better than Harbaugh (and I don't even think that much of Mullen)

SEC wins that one, 3-0...and that doesn't even dip into our second tier (Fisher, Orgeron, Leach, Kiffin) vs the B10's second tier (Fleck, Fitzgerald, Chryst...).

Last edited:
Who?

I mean, aside from Ryan Day and James Franklin (but the latter only as a builder, not a championship-deliverer).

I would put Saban, Smart and Mullen up against any best-three from any other conference. I mean, let's look at the B10 as an example:

-- Saban is better than Day
-- Smart is better than Franklin
-- Mullen is better than Harbaugh (and I don't even think that much of Mullen)

SEC wins that one, 3-0...and that doesn't even dip into our second tier (Fisher, Orgeron, Leach, Kiffin) vs the B10's second tier (Fleck, Fitzgerald, Chryst...).
Mullen is better than Smart by a long shot.

Mullen is better than Smart by a long shot.
So many #VolGator fans on these boards. :)

Objectively, you're wrong.

Conference Championships:
-- Smart 1 (SEC, 2017), Mullen 0

Division Championships:
-- Smart 3 (2017, 2018, 2019), Mullen 1 (2020)

Wins since joining SEC East:
-- Smart 52 (32 in SEC games) over five seasons, Mullen 29 (19 SEC wins) over three seasons.
-- Smart .788 win rate (.780 in SEC games), Mullen .763 win rate (.731 SEC)

Last edited:
Saban has ran off more coaches in the SEC than any coach ever. I don't think a coach from any other league has had the effect on a league Saban has had on SEC. Sure be glad when he gets tired of winning SEC and NC's.

Undoubtedly the SEC is the best conference, but was just thinking gotta be the worst conference for Coaches! Think about all the pressure to succeed in the SEC, the Malzahn firing with a good overall record, Les Mike's at LSU , Sumlin (I'm sure mispelled) at A&M had good overall but did not win championships. 🤣 Pruitt fired for 3-7 season, dispite the NCAA investigation it was his record that got him fired. Plus 2 of our wins out of 3 the Coaches lost their job! Muschamp at S.carolina and Vandys Coach Derek Mason but believed fired before we played. Drink was first year Coach.
Coaches come here for ego, but have not problem losing/getting fired because the pay is Top Tier.

They all say they can win big, but know deep down inside they just need to compete to keep getting paid.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Saban has ran off more coaches in the SEC than any coach ever. I don't think a coach from any other league has had the effect on a league Saban has had on SEC. Sure be glad when he gets tired of winning SEC and NC's.
This X1000! At least half of the SEC coach firings in the last decade was a direct result of not being able to compete with Saban. The other half was just due to coaching ineptitude. Unfortunately, UT has been a major contributor to this latter category.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Ryan day is only looking good bc of what Meyer built their and he didn't change the formula. When more of Meyers coaches leave and they get replaced with Days coaches and same for the players then we will see exactly how good Day is. Other then that fact is the SEC has more Natty and more post season wins in the last 30+ years than any other conference. So no the big 10 doesn't have better coaches not even close.

Reactions: volfan8
Sad to say! But true🤣 For now I'd be thrilled just to win our division every other year and beat Saban 1 outta 3 till he shuts down that machine

The problem is that the SEC has 6 schools that have played for or won the national title in the last 25 years. So, none of those fan bases want to hear how hard it is or that it can't be done because most of them were alive to see it be done. In the last 30 years, 4 schools won or played for national titles with multiple coaches. So, again, they don't want to hear it was some sort of fluke.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I’d take Mullen over smart 100%. Smart had number 1 recruiting for a few years and still couldn’t get it done.
Unfortunately his #1 classes are only now starting to mature (his first #1 class will be seniors in 2021 and his second in 2023) so we can't close the book just yet. Like it or not, recruiting is a big part of the college game and Smart is WAY better than Mullen at it, in addition to beating him 3 out of 4 on the field.

So many #VolGator fans on these boards. :)

Objectively, you're wrong.

Conference Championships:
-- Smart 1 (SEC, 2017), Mullen 0

Division Championships:
-- Smart 3 (2017, 2018, 2019), Mullen 1 (2020)

Wins since joining SEC East:
-- Smart 52 (32 in SEC games) over five seasons, Mullen 29 (19 SEC wins) over three seasons.
-- Smart .788 win rate (.780 in SEC games), Mullen .763 win rate (.731 SEC)

Cmon..Miss St vs UGA is objective?

You think if Mullen had followed Richt and Smart had followed Sylvester Croom that the records would be the same.

Mullen will prove to be a much better coach now that their surroundings are similar.

Reactions: Vol524
Cmon..Miss St vs UGA is objective?

You think if Mullen had followed Richt and Smart had followed Sylvester Croom that the records would be the same.

Mullen will prove to be a much better coach now that their surroundings are similar.
Who said anything about Mississippi State?

All those stats are comparing Mullen at Florida to Smart at Georgia.

He comes up short. Smart is objectively the better coach.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back