Season wrap up thoughts

18 wins NIT Tournament.

20 wins or more NCAA Tournament.
If we are talking solely regular season, then I think 18 gets us in the NCAAT, solely based on who we'd have to beat to get there, at this point. 3 games total against Ark and FL, both of whom are currently on the bubble. 3 games total against AU and UK, all Q1 games, and then 2 games total against Vandy and USCe, both of which are games we can't really afford to lose.

We need at least 5 of those.

Reactions: sport3500
If we are talking solely regular season, then I think 18 gets us in the NCAAT, solely based on who we'd have to beat to get there, at this point. 3 games total against Ark and FL, both of whom are currently on the bubble. 3 games total against AU and UK, all Q1 games, and then 2 games total against Vandy and USCe, both of which are games we can't really afford to lose.

We need at least 5 of those.
TN could play themselves in by winning. Arkansas twice would be a great start.Beat Bruce twice and don't lose to anyone u shouldn't and yer in. Piece a cake.

Our boys better figure out how to make "thre's" or we won't be going any further than a game or 2 in SEC tournament

Pons has greatly improved, that is except for his ball handling. He cannot take anyone off the dribble or lead a fast break. He masters that part of his game and you will see a player that could be nigh unstoppable. Fulky has been impressive and has no fear, I wish that attitude would rub off on Uros who is softer than butter being left outside the fridge. Once Vescovi learns all the intricacies of the college game, I think he will be a top 10 PG in the country, he is fun to watch. Jalen Johnson wont see the court next year, and Nkamhou will be #3 or #4 in the bigman rotation if he doesnt put in the time to learn the game and also get a mean streak. There are pieces here to be a good team next season, but this season is probably done after a first or 2nd round loss in the SEC tourney.

Pons has greatly improved, that is except for his ball handling. He cannot take anyone off the dribble or lead a fast break. He masters that part of his game and you will see a player that could be nigh unstoppable. Fulky has been impressive and has no fear, I wish that attitude would rub off on Uros who is softer than butter being left outside the fridge. Once Vescovi learns all the intricacies of the college game, I think he will be a top 10 PG in the country, he is fun to watch. Jalen Johnson wont see the court next year, and Nkamhou will be #3 or #4 in the bigman rotation if he doesnt put in the time to learn the game and also get a mean streak. There are pieces here to be a good team next season, but this season is probably done after a first or 2nd round loss in the SEC tourney.
He can’t do it consistently, but then shows flashes every now and then. If he could develop that part of his game and become a more consistent rebounder (1 vs UK, 14 vs Bama), he has an NBA career ahead of him. The driving ability seems to be an issue of confidence, the rebounding seems to be an effort issue.

This team I'd absolutely take the NIT and get the extra practice/game time. It'll be a huge benefit to the freshmen and give Fulkerson/Pons/Jalen more time to get comfortable playing together.

I know a lot of people expect us to roll out next season with Jalen benched or transferred out, but he may well earn himself the opportunity to be a starter and/or 6th man type role. There's no guarantee the incoming guys are going to put in the effort on defense Rick demands or pick-up the offense quickly.

We have an outside chance of making the NCAA, you finish this season 5-3 you'll have to of beaten at least 2 teams that are NCAA teams...maybe 3 which would all be quality wins.

He can’t do it consistently, but then shows flashes every now and then. If he could develop that part of his game and become a more consistent rebounder (1 vs UK, 14 vs Bama), he has an NBA career ahead of him. The driving ability seems to be an issue of confidence, the rebounding seems to be an effort issue.
I agree totally. He doesn't dribble consistently, but on a couple of drives lately when he took it to the basket strong he looked quite capable. That part of his game is getting there. I'm guessing his rebounding also has something to do with proximity to the basket, although with his hops, he should be able to average around 8 per game or so.

Reactions: The Dog
Fortunately we're pretty young, plus the class coming in next year. At least we're getting guys like JJJ, Santi, Gaines, Uros, Olivier, and Pember plenty of experience. Hard to imagine that many freshman being in the rotation.

Feels like Grant's freshman year when Hubbs was our best player and we weren't good yet. Then we went on an incredible run the next year. We'll still be pretty young overall next year, but we'll have to very good seniors with Fulky and Pons, several very experienced sophomores, and a few really good freshman. I expect those players to get a lot better as well.

I agree totally. He doesn't dribble consistently, but on a couple of drives lately when he took it to the basket strong he looked quite capable. That part of his game is getting there. I'm guessing his rebounding also has something to do with proximity to the basket, although with his hops, he should be able to average around 8 per game or so.
Yeah, one or two other posters have noted that his positioning on the floor affects his rebounding, but when our PG is averaging 4 rpg, and our PF is averaging 5 rpg, you have to think he’s leaving a little something on the bone. Especially when you see him grab 14 against Bama. You just know that his strength and athleticism lends him to more rebounds than he is getting. 1 rebound in 39 minutes against UK is inexcusable. And it isn’t an isolated incident, either. He has 3 or fewer rebounds in 10 of our 23 games this year. Not coincidentally, we have gone 4-6 in those 10 games, and 3 of the wins were Mizzou, Vandy, and Ole Miss (3 of the 4 worst teams in the league).

Reactions: cardvolfan
Arky at home, South Carolina on the road and Vandy at home are all winnable games. If we can get to 16-10, we can start the tourney talk back up but lose one of those and they will have to win the SEC Tournament

Pons is an elite shot blocker, but most of his blocks come from leaving his man and helping out on defense which leaves him out of position to rebound if he misses the block. But still, with his athletic/jumping ability, he should average 7/8 rebounds per game, like another poster said. Pons had 14 rebounds against Bama and I think 8 were offensive which should be and apparently is his speciality. He just has to learn not to leave his man to go for the block when his chances are minimal and box out his man to get more defensive rebounds. I think Barnes will work that out of him by next year. I'm predicting he averages 8 rebounds a game with a few less blocks, next year, while ending up being a high 2nd round draft pick

The NIT is just more in game action for young players to improve. Tournament basketball in a win or go home format is valuable experience. I wouldn't want to see very many minutes from Bowden in a consolation tournament. Just doesn't make since to play seniors reguardless of what level they are playing at.
Nah, I can't agree with not playing Bowden that much in the NIT. He has played his a$$ off for UT and although when he had the chance to be the main man this year, he has not produced like I thought he would. Still, despite his shooting woes, this year, Bowden is still the best man2man defender on the team. U can't punish the kid in his senior year, in his final games after being a starter/6th man since he walked onto Tennessee's campus, imo and I think Barnes will agree with me. Everybody else is coming back and I do understand your point, but Bowden has given his all for Tennessee, even if it wasn't quite enough to carry us to the "Big Dance" after losing Turner.

Btw, as of right now, it has not been enough to get to the NCAA Tournament, but if Bowden gets hot we can still make a run. Next 3 games are winnable, especially if we win at Arkansas tomorrow

Nah, I can't agree with not playing Bowden that much in the NIT. He has played his a$$ off for UT and although when he had the chance to be the main man this year, he has not produced like I thought he would. Still, despite his shooting woes, this year, Bowden is still the best man2man defender on the team. U can't punish the kid in his senior year, in his final games after being a starter/6th man since he walked onto Tennessee's campus, imo and I think Barnes will agree with me. Everybody else is coming back and I do understand your point, but Bowden has given his all for Tennessee, even if it wasn't quite enough to carry us to the "Big Dance" after losing Turner.

Btw, as of right now, it has not been enough to get to the NCAA Tournament, but if Bowden gets hot we can still make a run. Next 3 games are winnable, especially if we win at Arkansas tomorrow
Didn't say to not play him. We don't have enough to fill out a rotation anyway. I would start him but cut 10 or 15 minutes off his playing time for the game.

But besides fulky, JJJ,(who I honestly think should just focus on next year and get healthy at this point) Pons, and Vescovi I don’t think anyone would benefit from it on this team besides maybe Plavsic if he can learn how to grab a rebound. I really think it will take at least a year for any others to contribute anything significantly. So I personally don’t look forward to it if we are eligible at .500 (which it is not a guarantee for this team to reach .500) for me I just don’t think an embarrassing loss in an embarrassing tournament is what this program needs for recruiting in the 2021 cycle or for momentum going into a huge year next year.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

VN Store

Back