Season predictions for 2012-2013?

Two terrible games? VCU and Minnesota? I need more clarification.

Plus, Memphis gets to run through C-USA, for the last time. I don't see how UT, especially an unranked UT, really makes that much of a difference to our tourney resume. UT's RPI is currently 127, so it's not shaping up for much a of potential bump for Memphis.

I also don't see how UT's season is derailed and all tournament changes are dashed if they don't beat us.

I agree. Both are tournament teams and pretty sure both were on neutral courts. This won't hurt Memphis if they take care of everything else.

Memphis don't need UT as bad as UT needs Memphis. Playing a CUSA schedule gift wraps the Tigers dance chances.

I would go complete opposite here. Memphis needs to beat Tennessee more than Tennessee needs to beat Memphis. If Memphis loses to Louisville and Tennessee they will likely have beaten 0 at large tournament teams this year, and 0 ranked teams this year. They will quite possibly be forced to win their conference tournament in order to make the tournament, and well Pastner hasn't always won the conference tournament. Pastner and Memphis have 2 more chances at "good" wins....home to Louisville and @tennessee...right now they've lost their only other games that fell in that category.

Tennessee will have many more opportunities starting with Wichita State in which it can earn itself "good" wins.

I would go complete opposite here. Memphis needs to beat Tennessee more than Tennessee needs to beat Memphis. If Memphis loses to Louisville and Tennessee they will likely have beaten 0 at large tournament teams this year, and 0 ranked teams this year. They will quite possibly be forced to win their conference tournament in order to make the tournament, and well Pastner hasn't always won the conference tournament. Pastner and Memphis have 2 more chances at "good" wins....home to Louisville and @tennessee...right now they've lost their only other games that fell in that category.

Tennessee will have many more opportunities starting with Wichita State in which it can earn itself "good" wins.

So you're saying that Memphis has to beat either Louisville or Tennessee to get an at-large bid to the tournament?

That's crazy. We won't be getting a top 4 seed with that record, but if we're 29-5 right before the tournament, there is no way we're left out.

So you're saying that Memphis has to beat either Louisville or Tennessee to get an at-large bid to the tournament?

That's crazy. We won't be getting a top 4 seed with that record, but if we're 29-5 right before the tournament, there is no way we're left out.

Well you only play 31 games in the regular season so it'd be kind of hard for you to be 29-5. If you lose to Louisville and Tennessee the best case scenario would be 27-4...yes obviously that likely gets you in without winning your conference.

However count atleast 3 losses in C-USA (that's pastners min.) and now you're 24-7 heading into your conference tourney. That's hardly a tourney lock regardless of conference tourney outcome.

So yes, it would be a good idea for Memphis to win atleast 1 of 2 against Louisville and Tennessee.

Well you only play 31 games in the regular season so it'd be kind of hard for you to be 29-5. If you lose to Louisville and Tennessee the best case scenario would be 27-4...yes obviously that likely gets you in without winning your conference.

However count atleast 3 losses in C-USA (that's pastners min.) and now you're 24-7 heading into your conference tourney. That's hardly a tourney lock regardless of conference tourney outcome.

So yes, it would be a good idea for Memphis to win atleast 1 of 2 against Louisville and Tennessee.

29-5 is losing UL, Tennessee and the finals of the C-USA tourney. Count em again.

Last edited:
29-5 is losing UL, Tennessee and the finals of the C-USA tourney. Count em again.

Which is why I said you only play 31 games in the REGULAR SEASON.

If you feel comfortable losing to both Louisville and Tennessee then more power to you, I sure as hell wouldn't.

Which is why I said you only play 31 games in the REGULAR SEASON.

If you feel comfortable losing to both Louisville and Tennessee then more power to you, I sure as hell wouldn't.

Fact of the matter: we can still comfortably get an at-large bid even if we don't.

That's all I'm saying. Of course we want to win both.

Fact of the matter: we can still comfortably get an at-large bid even if we don't.

That's all I'm saying. Of course we want to win both.

And all I was saying is its gonna be some thin ice going through C-USA if you don't beat either UL/UT....a couple slip ups in conference play and you're on the bubble.

And all I was saying is its gonna be some thin ice going through C-USA if you don't beat either UL/UT....a couple slip ups in conference play and you're on the bubble.

I don't see how that's different from last season. I think we had 4 conf losses, no top 25 wins, screwed on our seeding and still got an 8.

I don't see how that's different from last season. I think we had 4 conf losses, no top 25 wins, screwed on our seeding and still got an 8.

You won your tournament last year.

Had you lost in the first round of the C-USA tournament things may have been a bit interesting on Sunday.

My point was this, the game (if it's a must win for either), is more for Memphis than Tennessee.

Tennessee has much more freedom the remainder of their schedule than Memphis does.

Last edited:

Had you lost in the first round of the C-USA tournament things may have been a bit interesting on Sunday.

My point was this, the game (if it's a must win for either), is more for Memphis than Tennessee.

Tennessee has much more freedom the remainder of their schedule than Memphis does.

Seems like 2011-2012 all over again.......

Memphis would have been safely, safely in even with a first-round loss in the tournament. Not even in question due to RPI and being the regular season champ. The C-USA regular season champ has never been left out and Memphis was clear by 2 games. Southern Miss was safely in and lost 2nd round.

Let's wait a week to talk about who needs the game more. By then Memphis will have played Louisville and Tennessee will have played Wichita State. Things could go in many different directions. However, Memphis will win C-USA regular season barring injury or something unforseen, and that will get them in again regardless of what happens in nonconference.

While BTO and MC are doing their thing, UT fans should be focused on Wichita State (8-0). Road wins @ VCU and Air Force and non-cupcake wins vs. DePaul, Iowa, and Tulsa. Defensively holding opponents to 58+ ppg while averaging 73+ ppg.

Better bring the workboots and some offense.

While BTO and MC are doing their thing, UT fans should be focused on Wichita State (8-0). Road wins @ VCU and Air Force and non-cupcake wins vs. DePaul, Iowa, and Tulsa. Defensively holding opponents to 58+ ppg while averaging 73+ ppg.

Better bring the workboots and some offense.

Worked out nicely.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back