SDS Asks: What is Napier Doing?

We only gave Butch 5 because 2015 and 2016 were solid years. IMO if he doesn't beat UGA in 2015, the rest of that season might have spiraled and he could have been fired at the end of it.

If Napier doesn't noticeably improve this year, I bet 2024 is a make-or-break season, meaning he'd need a great year to keep his job. He really, really doesn't need to lose to Vandy or Kentucky again, and lots of their fans will expect to beat us since it's in Gainesville.
We haven’t done well in Gainesville obviously but I feel really confident that the team Heupel is taking to the swamp is going to lay a beat down on Napier’s squad this year.

It's close.

No it isn’t. When did Dooley take a program like Mississippi State to #1? When was Dooley a top coordinator for multiple national championship teams? When did Dooley take Tennessee to a NY6 game?

Mullen did all of those things and then had one bad season. Dooley never had a winning season. The comp is absurd.

We haven’t done well in Gainesville obviously but I feel really confident that the team Heupel is taking to the swamp is going to lay a beat down on Napier’s squad this year.
It's definitely one of those games that on paper looks like a pretty for sure win, but we're snakebit against UF, especially down there. I know we beat them last year but you won't convince me that there's no voodoo during that game until we start getting a more balanced share of the wins when we are evenly matched, and consistently beat them when they aren't as good.

That is just crazy to have beaten them in Gainesville only twice since divisional play started.

Last edited:

Oh, I don't know. I have tickets to that game. I'm in the 30th row in the end zone and plan to catch a few Joe Milton passes on three yard outs to your TEs.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
With Tennessee reemerging, someone has to go back to the basement....I thought it was going to be South Carolina, but am just find with it being Florida instead.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
We only gave Butch 5 because 2015 and 2016 were solid years. IMO if he doesn't beat UGA in 2015, the rest of that season might have spiraled and he could have been fired at the end of it.

If Napier doesn't noticeably improve this year, I bet 2024 is a make-or-break season, meaning he'd need a great year to keep his job. He really, really doesn't need to lose to Vandy or Kentucky again, and lots of their fans will expect to beat us since it's in Gainesville.

Fanduel already has the early line. And it scares the hell out of me. Vols -6.5 in Gainesville. Everyone read that again, say it out loud and do not put $ on that.

Already placing a bet on a single game that far in advance, especially a football game where dudes get hurt all the time, is crazy.
Agreed . This was information that I heard on a podcast . I don’t go seeking this sort of stuff. Not yet anyway. Also, we’re 7.5 home dogs to UGA.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Oh, you will catch some passes, and so will our receivers. The same receivers that were burning Clemson’s defense the entire game.

craig-ferguson-joke.gif

Oh, I don't know. I have tickets to that game. I'm in the 30th row in the end zone and plan to catch a few Joe Milton passes on three yard outs to your TEs.
Might want to wear some protection if you are going to attempt that...That boy throws HARD!

No it isn’t. When did Dooley take a program like Mississippi State to #1? When was Dooley a top coordinator for multiple national championship teams? When did Dooley take Tennessee to a NY6 game?

Mullen did all of those things and then had one bad season. Dooley never had a winning season. The comp is absurd.

Mullen did all of those things, had a bad season, while all but admitting that recruiting wasn’t a priority.

It’s that last thing that got him fired.

Mullen did all of those things, had a bad season, while all but admitting that recruiting wasn’t a priority.

It’s that last thing that got him fired.

And yet, he still left Napier multiple players who will be drafted. Look at the 2013 Tennessee roster and tell me where there’s an Anthony Richardson, Montrelle Johnson, Venzell Miller, Trey Dean, Gervon Dexter, Rashad Torrence, Brenton Cox, or Amari Burney.

Dooley went an entire recruiting class without signing an offensive lineman. He left Cam Sutton. He left Justin Worley at QB. That’s it. The 2022 Gators roster was loaded compared to the 2013 Tennessee roster. I know we’re competing turds here, both in terms of rosters and in Butch vs. Napier, but Butch took over a far worse situation than Napier…without the benefit of the portal to fix it quickly (see, Cyrus O’Torrence).

Reactions: butchna
And yet, he still left Napier multiple players who will be drafted. Look at the 2013 Tennessee roster and tell me where there’s an Anthony Richardson, Montrelle Johnson, Venzell Miller, Trey Dean, Gervon Dexter, Rashad Torrence, Brenton Cox, or Amari Burney.

Dooley went an entire recruiting class without signing an offensive lineman. He left Cam Sutton. He left Justin Worley at QB. That’s it. The 2022 Gators roster was loaded compared to the 2013 Tennessee roster. I know we’re competing turds here, both in terms of rosters and in Butch vs. Napier, but Butch took over a far worse situation than Napier…without the benefit of the portal to fix it quickly (see, Cyrus O’Torrence).

Miller, Dean, Dexter, Torrence, Cox and Burney all contributed to the worst three year stretch of UF defense in my lifetime. Collectively all of those guys were garbage…historically bad.

Johnson was a Napier transfer from ULL.

Last edited:
Miller, Dean, Dexter, Torrence, Cox and Burney all contributed to the worst three year stretch of UF defense in my lifetime. Collectively all of those guys were garbage…historically bad.

Johnson was a Napier transfer from ULL.
Whom Napier had already developed into a first round NFL talent…where’s the Dooley equivalent?

Whom Napier had already developed into a first round NFL talent…where’s the Dooley equivalent?

I missed where I compared Dooley to Mullen.

I simply pointed out what led to Mullen getting canned.

Then @GregAmsler listed a bunch of our draft eligible defensive scrubs who did little to nothing to warrant getting drafted.

And I think you’re being very generous with Montrell Johnson’s draft status. NFL teams don’t waste first round picks on undersized RBs.

I missed where I compared Dooley to Mullen.

I simply pointed out what led to Mullen getting canned.

Then @GregAmsler listed a bunch of our draft eligible defensive scrubs who did little to nothing to warrant getting drafted.
The subject was how bad the respective rosters were when Butch and Napier took over. The Gators with multiple day 1 and 2 selections says a lot.

You have at least two high first round selections in Richardson and Torrance. Poor mouth better. 😏

Last edited:
The subject was how bad the respective rosters were when Butch and Napier took over. The Gators with multiple day 1 and 2 selections says a lot.

You have at least two high first round selections in Richardson and Torrance. Poor mouth better. 😏

Richardson’s grade is based on his athletic ceiling in spite of his consistent inconsistency as a first year starter.

I have no idea what Torrance’s grade is based on.

Richardson’s grade is based on his athletic ceiling in spite of his consistent inconsistency as a first year starter.

I have no idea what Torrance’s grade is based on.
But…it’s TALENT. Would have loved such “inconsistency” from Justin Worley.

Maybe because of his CONSENSUS ALL-AMERICANality? 😉

VN Store

Back