SDS Asks: What is Napier Doing?

Nerwen Aldarion

Tennessee Girl
Hayes: What in the world is Billy Napier doing?

It’s a good look at all of the questionable decisions Sunbelt Billy has made. Predictions don’t mean much but I think Florida might be in for a Butch Jones level of hurt if this trend continues.

To be frank, I never thought much of the Napier higher so this mess hasn’t exactly been surprising but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy being on the other side of it for once.

Napier is making some bold moves, particularly with coaching so in that sense I agree with the article. On the other hand, given that several have left for jobs in the NFL it would also seem that he is choosing wisely on some level.

Reactions: WillisWG
Napier is making some bold moves, particularly with coaching so in that sense I agree with the article. On the other hand, given that several have left for jobs in the NFL it would also seem that he is choosing wisely on some level.

I mean it’s hard to predict what will happen. I honestly was unsure on Huepel’s hire and thought it was just going to be yet another dead end coach. Clearly I was wrong.

I think Napier is in a tough spot and Florida is just in a hole that’s going to be hard to come out of. I’m not convinced Napier will be the one to do it.

I mean it’s hard to predict what will happen. I honestly was unsure on Huepel’s hire and thought it was just going to be yet another dead end coach. Clearly I was wrong.

I think Napier is in a tough spot and Florida is just in a hole that’s going to be hard to come out of. I’m not convinced Napier will be the one to do it.

Fair enough, me neither. But I think LW is correct above when he says Napier will get at least two more years to show he's the right fix.

And that article's discussion of the defense at UF having fallen off a cliff in the last few years is dead on accurate. For awhile I also thought the answer to that problem was Charlie Strong. I even rooted for him to get the head coaching job the last few turns. But now, in retrospect, he's done such a poor job in the places he has been that I do not think he is the answer.

How many 0-12 seasons do you anticipate in the interim?

all-of-them-kevin-hart.gif

Meh while I get a good chuckle out of Florida being down a bit I'm not gonna throw dirt on their grave just yet.

Hell better than anyone we should know that even a program down bad is just the "right" QB away from being decent or better again.

Florida should give him 4 seasons. Hell we gave Butch 5. Napier is bringing in a decent class at least let him get his dudes in there.

Butch got 5 because he had 2 consecutive 9-win seasons after inheriting garbage from Dooley. I'm not sure Napier has a 9-win season in him. And he inherited a better roster than Butch did. Taking over from Dooley is not the same as taking over for Mullen.

Mullen started digging with a shovel and quick traded it for an excavator.

Maybe I’m wrong but when UF lost the AD that brought them Meyer and Donavan hires haven’t seemed as important or quality.

Hayes: What in the world is Billy Napier doing?

It’s a good look at all of the questionable decisions Sunbelt Billy has made. Predictions don’t mean much but I think Florida might be in for a Butch Jones level of hurt if this trend continues.

To be frank, I never thought much of the Napier higher so this mess hasn’t exactly been surprising but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy being on the other side of it for once.
He's not their Butch...he's their Dooley. :)

Reactions: butchna
Florida should give him 4 seasons. Hell we gave Butch 5. Napier is bringing in a decent class at least let him get his dudes in there.
We only gave Butch 5 because 2015 and 2016 were solid years. IMO if he doesn't beat UGA in 2015, the rest of that season might have spiraled and he could have been fired at the end of it.

If Napier doesn't noticeably improve this year, I bet 2024 is a make-or-break season, meaning he'd need a great year to keep his job. He really, really doesn't need to lose to Vandy or Kentucky again, and lots of their fans will expect to beat us since it's in Gainesville.

Maybe he should but it will depend on what that team looks like as well on the field. Losing to Vandy and Kentucky might result in them pulling the plug early on big balls Billy.

Reactions: Voldog1998

VN Store

Back