Screw Georgia

Crazy stat.

The SEC has won 5 football national titles while Saban has been head coach at Alabama.

That’s excluding the Alabama titles

It is also very misleading as UF won two of those before Saban really turned Updyke U. into the monster it has become. LSU also got one at the last minute before Updyke U. got serious.

Last night was a big moment for UGA. Quite possibly it'll be short-lived as a one and done like the 2019 LSU team but winning it all gives them the realistic possibility of having a Clemson like run. However I suspect the Gumps will improve and probably win at least one of the next two championships.

I hope I'm wrong and some non SEC program does but that's just highly unlikely.

It is also very misleading as UF won two of those before Saban really turned Updyke U. into the monster it has become. LSU also got one at the last minute before Updyke U. got serious.

Last night was a big moment for UGA. Quite possibly it'll be short-lived as a one and done like the 2019 LSU team but winning it all gives them the realistic possibility of having a Clemson like run. However I suspect the Gumps will improve and probably win at least one of the next two championships.

I hope I'm wrong and some non SEC program does but that's just highly unlikely.

I don't think it's misleading at all.

Auburn won 1 (2010) and played for another (2013)
Georgia won 1 (2021) and played for another (2017)
LSU won 2 (2007, 2019) and played for another (2011)
Florida won 1 (2008).

Florida was also #1 heading into the SEC title game in 2009. So, you can argue that Alabama is the reason why SEC schools not named Alabama don't have an additional 3 national titles (2009, 2011, 2017).

Can you imagine Ohio State winning 6 national titles in 15 years while at the same time Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa combine for 5 national titles in the same time period? And during that same time, Ohio State defeated Penn State in the National title game, Michigan in the National title game, and defeated undefeated #1 Wisconsin in Big 10 championship game.

Again, not only is what Saban doing ridiculous under any set of circumstances, but he's facing the stiffest competition within a conference of any college football coach ever.

Florida won 1 (2008).

Florida was also #1 heading into the SEC title game in 2009. So, you can argue that Alabama is the reason why SEC schools not named Alabama don't have an additional 3 national titles (2009, 2011, 2017).

Can you imagine Ohio State winning 6 national titles in 15 years while at the same time Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa combine for 5 national titles in the same time period? And during that same time, Ohio State defeated Penn State in the National title game, Michigan in the National title game, and defeated undefeated #1 Wisconsin in Big 10 championship game.

Again, not only is what Saban doing ridiculous under any set of circumstances, but he's facing the stiffest competition within a conference of any college football coach ever.

Fair enough. I wrongly lumped in one UF championship and forgot about Auburn's NC.

While you see tough competition, I would actually say Saban's greatest accomplishment is that so many of the traditionally strong schools in the SEC have been so far below their potential for so long. The idea that UF and UT could be this bad for so long is amazing. Auburn and LSU have largely not been the same programs they were in the 2000s. The 2010 and 2019 teams were basically lightning in a bottle. I attribute a lot of this to the fear Saban has generated along with his ability to compile an abusrd amount of talent. I never thought a team could have such a talent edge over the next few strongest programs in the conference but Alabama has managed to do this.

They had more talent than bama. They got to play them 2 times. They were allowed to hold wr's. Out talenting is the one only way the bowl cut moe Howard looking coach can win.

Crazy stat.

The SEC has won 5 football national titles while Saban has been head coach at Alabama.

That’s excluding the Alabama titles

That is crazy. Since '07 there's LSU, UF, AU, LSU, UGA. Then there's 6 Bama championships. 11 SEC champions out of 15 seasons.

Florida won 1 (2008).

I think you can add 2012 UGA to that list, as well. They had Bama on the ropes in the SEC CG and would've destroyed ND in a similar fashion as Bama did.

I find this an outrageous comment, fffs, Pruitt was the coach here and people thought his lack of class and composure was because” he is a football coach.” Like Bennett or not kid is a legit student athlete first and if was a Vol people would be tripping over themselves about what an uplifting story. Get off my lawn is right.
“Outrageous?” Really? That’s laughable but mommy will make you feel all better when she tucks you in.

My post has nothing to do with Pruitt nor will you find me making excuses for his mannerisms or behavior. Your generalizations are weak sauce and you even fail to acknowledge I noted he has an amazing story. The argument was his character vs Young. Feel free to point out where you disagree with my actual argument.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I'm going to slightly disagree with you here.

If CJH's offense stays solid and he can consistently win 7-8 games, UT needs to have some stability and keep him locked in. What UT needs is a Defense. The Offense is there.
Grabbing a new coach every 3-4 years and praying that he's the guy to match up with Bama and Georgia is a pipe dream. Getting to that level is going to take time ................lots of time.

I say stick with him for 7-8 years and see what happens. It ain't gonna get worse than it has been. Stability is really needed. I personally don't see UT being an every year contender, but once or twice a decade, UT can be, with a solid defense.
[/QUOTE]

In the traditional sense, you might be right. But with the transfer portal, and a solid recruiting class that sees over half of your freshmen as solid contributors? I might be unlikely, but still possible for any stable program to vault up quickly. But that stable program has the best chances if they are consistently winning 8 to 10 games a year, and planning to go to the bowls that are not part of the playoff that year (when you are not selected). Vols need to be in the Peach/Sugar/Orange Bowl conversations. But getting there means bringing in the players to get you there consistently every year to have a stable foundation, and phenomenal in years you push your way into the playoffs.

Hopefully, Heupel is getting Tennessee to that point.

They aren't beating us with Tennessee recruits though. We need one of those programs at least to fall so that we can steal theirs. We've just got to get where we consistently beat everyone else for several years and then we'll be in position once one of the top tier teams gets a bad coach or something. That's what Majors did.
Alabama took our #2 in state player (Simpson) and GA took our #4 (James). That is the definition of beating us.

Alabama took our #2 in state player (Simpson) and GA took our #4 (James). That is the definition of beating us.
Neither of whom has played a down for Bama or Georgia yet, not is responsible for our losing to them. Both have a handful of Tennessee players at most, neither program is built off a stealing our in-state players as the poster I responded to implied.

The only coach I believe that this “no emphasis on defense and defensive recruiting“ may apply to is Leach. The narrative that coaches don’t somehow won’t to be good at both defies logic. Now, until our defense actually shows a pulse, it may be harder to get a ton of big time talent on that side of the ball.

But I have my doubts that Huepel sits around thinking “In dont care how good we are on defense -just as long as we outscore the other team”.
Heupel's speed snapping system on offense is an inherent disadvantage to his defense. I think Heupel did a good job this year but I think it's fair to wonder if his offense without modification just puts the defense on the field too much to ever win all of our games, if that's what the end goal is.

2019 Team defensive rankings nationally:

Clemson- 3rd
Bama- 13

2020:

Clemson- 18
LSU- 99

2021:

Bama- 18
OSU- 38

What’s this data tell you? LSU is the outlier. Having nationally ranked defenses of 18, 38, 13 and 3 are considered superior to elite. Now, LSU fielded the best offense college football has ever seen. So what does this tell you? If you want to win national championships, you have to have superior defense to go along with great offense unless you have a HISTORIC offense.
LSU won the national championship in 2019 when they had the 31st ranked scoring and total defense, not 99th. Even if to the championship game occurred in 2020, you have to look at stats for the 2019 season. May want to check your other numbers as well. I agree with your overall point. You need to be absolutely elite on at least one side of the ball and good on the other to win it all.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back