Screw Georgia

Kinda doubt Heupel will ever place that much emphasis on defense and defensive recruiting.
The only coach I believe that this “no emphasis on defense and defensive recruiting“ may apply to is Leach. The narrative that coaches don’t somehow won’t to be good at both defies logic. Now, until our defense actually shows a pulse, it may be harder to get a ton of big time talent on that side of the ball.

But I have my doubts that Huepel sits around thinking “In dont care how good we are on defense -just as long as we outscore the other team”.

The only coach I believe that this “no emphasis on defense and defensive recruiting“ may apply to is Leach. The narrative that coaches don’t somehow won’t to be good at both defies logic. Now, until our defense actually shows a pulse, it may be harder to get a ton of big time talent on that side of the ball.

But I have my doubts that Huepel sits around thinking “In dont care how good we are on defense -just as long as we outscore the other team”.
Yet Leach's defense was #30 this year and UT was #99. Heupel's defenses at UCF were near the bottom also.

We won 7 games this year and was possibly 5 to 10 more positive plays on offense away from 10 wins. If you look at The Pitt, Ole Miss, and Purdue game we had the chance in the end to win those games. I am not really for sure how to look at this season because after 5 coaching hires we finally hired a coach that applied a scheme on offense that allowed us to look better than we may have been. The first stage of the process of winning is believing that you can win and I think that much was achieved this year which is already a improvement from the last 3 by far. I think it will really show next year that this football team really believes it can win and that will go a long way in us becoming a lot better football that doesn't only competes but wins.

Exactly. We’re just missing SEC level talent and speed on the defensive side. It’s what Huepel inherited. Doesn’t mean he’s satisfied with it.

This is a serious question. How do we get back to the top? Seriously. I just don’t see it. I mean did any of you really take a good look at UGAs and Bamas OL and DL? And let’s not even mention LBs. How can we honestly ever expect to get the Will Andersons, Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean type of players?

This is a serious question. How do we get back to the top? Seriously. I just don’t see it. I mean did any of you really take a good look at UGAs and Bamas OL and DL? And let’s not even mention LBs. How can we honestly ever expect to get the Will Andersons, Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean type of players?

Georgia used to ask the same question. We were decimated roster-wise and yet set a program record for points scored. With a halfway decent defense this year we win 9 this year. That’s with a new coach coming in late and trying to change the culture.

I don’t believe things are as bad as people want to believe.

We have to start winning 9+ games a year and knocking off one of the giants every year or two.

Reactions: Vol4ever
We have to start winning 9+ games a year and knocking off one of the giants every year or two.

And that’s coming… I see us knocking off Georgia and Florida before Bama though. That of course with the caveat that we can somehow get Florida out of our heads.

Reactions: feathersax
And that’s coming… I see us knocking of Georgia and Florida before Bama though. That of course with the caveat that we can somehow get Florida out of our heads.

I hope you’re right. It will all start with a team that is an upgrade from what we have but still an underdog in the big games. But it will be a team who just wants it more. It will have clear leaders on both sides of the ball who respectfully demand proper preparation and execution from everybody on the field. That’s been missing for a long time in Knoxville.

We look like a HS team compared to those teams.

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).

How do you get back to the top? Recruit a top 5 class for 5 straight years. It's that simple (well the answer is simple).

I grew up with a guy that was a D1 starter on O line at NC State. This was during Bobby Bowden's heyday, with Charlie Ward and every other 5* you could think of on his roster.

He said do you ever see a game where Team A (ranked in top 5) is struggling with Team B (unranked) and they're tied or barely ahead at halftime and you think "wow, team A is stinking it up today"

Later you see the score scroll by and it's the 4th quarter and the 10-7 game is now 34-10 and you think "wow, Team A really turned it on the 2nd half"

Well, he said I'm here to tell you it's depth. That's typically all it is. He said at the start of the 4th quarter, FSU would rotate in their 3rd string DE (who was also a 4-5* player). Meanwhile, my friend had played every snap. All the sudden you give up a sack.... The QB fumbles and the game turns on a dime. Everyone starts wearing down, you miss an assignment, etc....or you being in a backup on your side and that kid is a walk on.

Anyway you get the gist. He said most teams have a good coach and a good starting 22. The teams that win titles have quality players 3 deep (especially in the front 7 on defense).
We don't got Will Anderson and Nakobe Dean's on our first string, forget our third string.

Don't bring common sense in here.

VN Store

Back