Scouting report for Presbyterian:

HippieVol33

We're starting a new name for these because they feel more like scouting reports than keys to victory.

After a lackluster sleep walk against TTU we really need to come out and show some fight and ability here. After this one our schedule kicks it up a notch and we need to get into a groove and start to gel. This team may still be finding its identity or it may just not be a top 15 team like we are ranked. (13 in new AP Poll). We've not truly put away a "bad" team at this point in the season, but I believe UNC is a pretty good team and we put them away just fine. UTM, ETSU and TTU all showed plenty of weakness in this team. Regardless, lets just hope we're still trying to figure it out and we just play to our competition. All numbers will come from KenPom.com

Presbyterian is a strange team. They competed with Clemson (64-53) @ Clemson and lost to Cincinnati (79-45) @ Cincy. Clemson is a top 50 team according to KenPom, ranked at 45. So this team won't just bow down to us. They love to press the ball all game long. If you watch the Clemson film, these guys can play, they're not going to come into TBA scared.
They play a 7 man line up made of these guys:

Rayshon Harrison(6'4" 180) 88.1% of minutes
Trevon Reddish (6'4" 205) 65.8% of minutes
Winston Hill (6'7" 230) 59.3% of minutes
Kobe Stewart (6'6" 180) 57.6% of minutes
Brandon Younger (6'7" 190) 56.6% of minutes
Owen McCormack (6'9" 230) 51.2% of minutes
Kirshon Thrash (6'3" 215) 45.8% of minutes

They will play this 7 man rotation most the time and these guys get after it all the way down the court. Hopefully we will have Powell back for this one and we can wear them down since they love the full court press. Presbyterian has won every game they've played outside of the P5. It seems JJJ has problems with with his middle shooting finger and may not be back for a while. Let's hope he can get healthy for the meat of the schedule.

Presbyterian hits the offensive glass the same TTU does, keeping them off the offensive glass will be just the same as last game, as that gives them more opportunities to hang around a better team.

Similar to last game, Presbyterian has a solid PG in Harrison that can run the show, get his guys good looks and score the ball. Chandler has to do a better job of putting pressure on the ball and making life tough on him.

I don't think we will shoot the ball as bad as we did last game and if we can hit shots we should have no problems with Presbyterian. I personally think this game will come down to Chandler and Zeigler. As long as they can handle the press and get us into what we want we, should have no problem. But this team just hasn't proven to us we can be comfortable against teams not at our level. Tomorrow could be a big day for us to get in a groove, or we could be in for another fight. As you can see Presbyterian doesn't play a big line up. Let's hope our size causes them problems and we can get an easy W on the way to play on the road @ Colorado in our first true road test.

Prediction: Vols 88 Presbyterian 72

I enjoy these, Hippie, thanks for doing them! Will be interesting to see if they stay in a press on us if Chandler and Zeigler start breaking it down. Looks like they have some bigger guards. Will also be interesting to see if they try to take advantage of that offensively in the way Villanova did. Obviously they won’t be as talented, but I assume we will see other teams try to take advantage of that this season.

Reactions: HippieVol33
You really think Presbyterian scores 8 more over their average so far? Also Tennessee giving up 5 more than their average………….who knows, but I just don’t see that happening.

Both Clemson and Cincy kept Presbyterian under what they normally give up (by about 7 points). If they can keep Presbyterian to 6 and 8 under…….I don’t think Tennessee gives up 5 over.

Presbyterian scored 11 less than their average vs Clemson and they scored 19 under vs Cincy………but they going to score 5 over their average on Tennessee?

Don’t get me wrong……great content and it’s always appreciated by us all. Just me personally I don’t agree with them scoring 72 points……..that would be tied for the most Tennessee has given up so far.

I enjoy these, Hippie, thanks for doing them! Will be interesting to see if they stay in a press on us if Chandler and Zeigler start breaking it down. Looks like they have some bigger guards. Will also be interesting to see if they try to take advantage of that offensively in the way Villanova did. Obviously they won’t be as talented, but I assume we will see other teams try to take advantage of that this season.
Thanks for the kind words. This game could be interesting if we don’t shoot well. They like to run a heavy screen offense. On the ball and off. I’m just hoping we come focused and put them away early.

You really think Presbyterian scores 8 more over their average so far? Also Tennessee giving up 5 more than their average………….who knows, but I just don’t see that happening.

Both Clemson and Cincy kept Presbyterian under what they normally give up (by about 7 points). If they can keep Presbyterian to 6 and 8 under…….I don’t think Tennessee gives up 5 over
Presbyterian scored 11 less than their average vs Clemson and they scored 19 under vs Cincy………but they going to score 5 over their average on Tennessee?

Don’t get me wrong……great content and it’s always appreciated by us all. Just me personally I don’t agree with them scoring 72 points……..that would be tied for the most Tennessee has given up so far.
Yeah, it may be a lower scoring game than my prediction. Probably should’ve went lower. But I think we score in the 80s and they find a way to keep it close. They want to run based off all the games I’ve seen of them.

Yeah, it may be a lower scoring game than my prediction. Probably should’ve went lower. But I think we score in the 80s and they find a way to keep it close. They want to run based off all the games I’ve seen of them.

Right now Cincy has a much better D than Tennessee……so in no way do I think Tennessee can do what they did.

I also believe that Presbyterian “can” keep it close………I’m just a bit of a homer here (cause there not real logic) I just “think” Tennessee wins this one fairly easy……..just thinking Tennessee doesn’t have two subpar games in a row…….again no real reasoning……just my thinking (could very well be “hoping”).

I do believe because Tennessee has a decent D they can keep Presbyterian to 65 or under……..not sure what Tennessee will score……but hopefully a good bit more.

Reactions: HippieVol33
I think it will be a bigger runaway with a reduced rotation.

78-53 along those lines. Of course, we have started fairly slowly in some of the recent games. Never know.

Vescovi 23 pts
Chandler 18
On 15 pts 12 boards

Hope BHH continues his breakout with 10 pts and 12 boards

I think the TTU game will prove to be very helpful. We got too satisfied to jack up 3’s and we all know how that type of offense looks when the shots don’t fall. Learned our lesson in the second half and started playing inside out in the half court. I predict we’ll see play similar to the NC game and an impressive win tonight. Really hoping Powell and BHH continue to become more comfortable and increase their minutes as we’ll need more of those 2 as the season progresses

I think the TTU game will prove to be very helpful. We got too satisfied to jack up 3’s and we all know how that type of offense looks when the shots don’t fall. Learned our lesson in the second half and started playing inside out in the half court. I predict we’ll see play similar to the NC game and an impressive win tonight. Really hoping Powell and BHH continue to become more comfortable and increase their minutes as we’ll need more of those 2 as the season progresses
Well said!
I imagine that the coaches are still playing with the pieces ... and we will continue to see lots or rotations.
I do not think we have 'an identity' yet ... still a little early yet ... we need another 8-10 games before that really sets in.
It feels like this team 'wants' to shoot from the perimeter a lot .... when they hit the shots for a 40% mark ... they will shoot teams out of the game in a hurry ... when they are 'having an off night' they have to adjust and play more like they did against Tn Tech.
I will be disappointed if their 'press the ball' strategy results in a lot of turnovers.
You will notice that Clemson was behind or in a back and forth game until the last 10 minutes of the game ... Pres may have gotten tired or maybe it was the case that Clemson shot them out of the game 3 threes in the first half, but in the second half they were 5 of 9. Or maybe a little of both.
Because I expect us to play 9-10 deep .... we will likely give up more points (than Clemson or Cincy) ... trading opponent points for on the floor experience for BHH, ZZ, Powell, Mashack, UROS and Aidoo.
Also, this gives us the opportunity to experiment with different groupings.
Some of the next games (like Tech game), should not be measured by score ... but who got minutes on the floor and who was on the floor together.
I am worried about JJJ's injury, that is a huge twist of fate. I am still watching to see how Fulky's hand responds ... so far ... it has gotten banged up and that makes me nervous.
Finally, keep up the good work @ HippieVol33!!!

Apparently, JJJ won't be playing, so that takes some of our best defense off the floor. Additionally, Bailey will start, and he isn't one of our best defenders. So, initially, it will be our offense against theirs. It will be interesting to see what combination of our players can build a lead on the opponent tonight.

I was at the Cincinnati-Presbyterian game a couple weeks ago and they were not at all impressive. In fact they were never in it. Not impressed at all. One of their players had 4 fouls with 9 min to go in the first half. A clue that depth might be a problem. Expect our Vols to roll in this one

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Apparently, JJJ won't be playing, so that takes some of our best defense off the floor. Additionally, Bailey will start, and he isn't one of our best defenders. So, initially, it will be our offense against theirs. It will be interesting to see what combination of our players can build a lead on the opponent tonight.
I'd like to see more Powell than Bailey. I'm also wondering if Mashack might get more time or if we plan on RS him?

Reactions: walkenvol
Well at least I got the Tennessee points right lol. Nice W for us to get ready to go on the road to Colorado.

VN Store

Back