Scotty Hopson's NBA story

He had no ball handling skills and got bad advice and totally stopped going to class during the year. I love the guy but he is a age old example of making bad choices as a young man.

Would one more year of college have made a difference? Hard to say.
I’m not hating on Hopson, I know when I was his age I lacked the maturity to really buckle down as well. But he gad great physical tools and talent. Just focusing on his handles and outside shooting and he could have been a lottery pick IMO. Wish him the best. It is a good story to f perseverance

Reactions: CPA and StarRaider
Heard he interview really bad with nba teams before the draft I remember someone in a nba office saying he wasn’t from this planet after talking to him. I doubt it was that serious, he was just young. Incredibly athletic

He was one of my favorites.

May have not been the most skilled player but he was extremely talented and athletic.

SH got called up but just listen to how he got there

Kid is obviously determined and that's to be commended.

Still would've liked to see UT potentially make their first Final Four if he makes the second of his two free throws against Michigan St.

Heard he interview really bad with nba teams before the draft I remember someone in a nba office saying he wasn’t from this planet after talking to him. I doubt it was that serious, he was just young. Incredibly athletic
Scotty had a lot of "advisors" in his ear that had been there since his high school days telling him he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I often wonder if some of the wisdom being imparted on him was to exude confidence, even unfounded/unwarranted confidence. Oversell the product, if you will. If he walked into those pre-draft meetings with NBA front office people with false bravado trying to convince them he was the best player in the draft then I can understand them walking out wondering what planet he was from.

I was initially disappointed whenever he left early because I knew he wasn’t going to get drafted but I am proud of him for sticking to it and making the most of his opportunities. Hopefully plenty will see his journey and persevere just as Scotty has. No matter how difficult things may get, don’t ever give up on your dreams.

Scotty had a lot of "advisors" in his ear that had been there since his high school days telling him he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I often wonder if some of the wisdom being imparted on him was to exude confidence, even unfounded/unwarranted confidence. Oversell the product, if you will. If he walked into those pre-draft meetings with NBA front office people with false bravado trying to convince them he was the best player in the draft then I can understand them walking out wondering what planet he was from.

Was he a 5* coming out of HS, I was thinking he came in with a lot hype. Probably all these 'advisers' were expecting paydays when he was a high draft pick and got his big bonus so they brainwashed him into thinking he was a high pick. But as others have said he was young and impressionable. Shame Pearl couldn't get thru to him to stay another yr.

Was he a 5* coming out of HS, I was thinking he came in with a lot hype. Probably all these 'advisers' were expecting paydays when he was a high draft pick and got his big bonus so they brainwashed him into thinking he was a high pick. But as others have said he was young and impressionable. Shame Pearl couldn't get thru to him to stay another yr.
If memory serves he was ranked top 15

I recall him as being the #4 ranked recruit by at least on publication. Considered a can’t miss type prospect.

He might have stayed for his final season, but Pearl was fired, so he likely didn't want to start over as a senior under Cuonzo. Coming off of an All-SEC season averaging 17 ppg and 3.3 rebs, he wasn't likely to improve his stock.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Honestly though, while the story is “nice”. It still feels like a shot at Scottie. If I was him, I don’t think “I’ve made it” until I’ve actually MADE a team - not just called up out of necessity. Scottie was dropping 30 point games at Tennessee and was known as a prolific scorer and now he’s had 15 minutes of PT and two scored FTs. I don’t know - I’ve read this story a few times and it doesn’t seem like he’s actually “made it” until he has a role for a team.

#5 on Rivals.

He was good enough to be a McDonald's All-American. I don't really remember him being a standout or playing much in the game though. I've watched the games since Tony Harris, and Tobias Harris was the only UT commit/signee to standout in the game. (Didn't watch Springer/Chandler)

I just looked up the 2008 McDonalds All-American team roster and it was loaded with NBA guards.

Also I was pretty sure I read that Kennedy Chandler was the highest rated recruit to sign with UT. I thought he was 8th or something like that overall.
247 Had Tobias 6, Hopson 7, and Chandler 9 overall.

Hopson — I remember the impression of him sorta lacking passion and drive while at TN. Felt kind of lackadaisical in his time with us? Regardless, very happy for him. Hope he feel fulfilled through his life experiences. Honestly phenomenal to have the opportunity to tour the world as a expat internationally. I spent 5 years in Thailand and 3 in Japan as an educator…. Best thing I ever did was to live abroad!

VN Store

Back