Scott Cochran to UGA as on-the-field Coach per Bruce Feldman (merged)

There’s a huge hole in the starboard side now.

Falling off last season and now losing a big piece to those title teams. Things aren’t good in TTown.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Seems like a weird move. Not even sure he'd make more money, because he's probably more valuable as one of the country's top S&C coaches, so maybe he just wants an on-field role.

Though, he's still relatively young. He's only 40 even though it seems like he's been at Bama forever.

Reactions: Remy
Seems like a weird move. Not even sure he'd make more money, because he's probably more valuable as one of the country's top S&C coaches, so maybe he just wants an on-field role.

Though, he's still relatively young. He's only 40 even though it seems like he's been at Bama forever.

He’d have to been at Bama around 32 then. Wow

Like the hire but concerned about his role.. We have no idea how he is going to do in an on field role. Recruiting should be great and I'm sure he will be slipping tips to Sinclair for S&C

Richt's first 4 years at Georgia and Kirby's first 4 years at Georgia are damn near carbon copies of each other in terms of record.
The records are nearly identical and I’m not sure why people use that as a negative. Richt’s first 5 years he won SEC titles, SEC COY, and had a terrific record. Richt’s last few years are when he began to regress. Kirby is so far showing he’s more willing to make changes when necessary and remain aggressive. We’ll see how the future plays out but I just don’t see how having a terrific start to a career and being compared to a highly successful coach is a negative.

Reactions: MaTaLa

He's been there since 2007. The last guy that's been there more than 2 years outside of Saban. Big hit for bama possibly.

1582583967734.png

Reactions: DaddyChad
JMO, but on the cuff it looks like it hurts Bama more than it helps UGA.

He may end up being a great on the field coach but it kinda looks like taking a great recruiter and putting him in a role where that's not what hes doing.

The records are nearly identical and I’m not sure why people use that as a negative. Richt’s first 5 years he won SEC titles, SEC COY, and had a terrific record. Richt’s last few years are when he began to regress. Kirby is so far showing he’s more willing to make changes when necessary and remain aggressive. We’ll see how the future plays out but I just don’t see how having a terrific start to a career and being compared to a highly successful coach is a negative.
It's a negative at a place like Georgia, which demands national championships. They fired Richt because his teams had regressed on the field and he didn't have a title that added to his job security to fall back on. Richt was just as good on the field in his first 4 years as Kirby has been. Fair or unfair, Kirby's got to show more (i.e., win a national title).

When you're comparing Richt and Kirby, I think it's key to use consistent timeframes of their careers. Kirby's first 4 years at Georgia look good compared to Richt's last 4 years at Georgia, but I'm not sure that is the best comparison. During each of their first 4 years, both coaches were these young, fresh-faced, great coordinators on their sides of the ball that injected some life back into the programs. Richt was never as good of a recruiter as Kirby was, but he was better than Donnan. Kirby has shown to be a better recruiter than Richt. All the other similarities are there. An install/retool year in year 1, an SEC title and top 3 finish in year 2 (...and Richt would have been in a 4-team playoff had one existed), and then a loss in the SECCG in year 3. On the field, Kirby has achieved more than Richt only in the number of division titles...Kirby made it back to the SECCG in year 4 and lost, while Richt did not make it to the SECCG in year 4 but did finish #7 overall.

Overall, this notion that Kirby is a way better coach than Richt is just a perception in people's minds, not borne out by any facts (so far). I think it's got a lot to do with Kirby being a hardass while Richt was this nice, almost meek guy, plus Kirby is a better recruiter and has played in a national championship game. But remember Richt also would have had a chance to play for a title in 2002 had a CFP existed. If a CFP didn't exist in 2017, Kirby wouldn't have had a chance to play in the title game, just like Richt didn't have a chance to, since they were both outside the top 2 when the conference title games were over.

It's a negative at a place like Georgia, which demands national championships. They fired Richt because his teams had regressed on the field and he didn't have a title that added to his job security to fall back on. Richt was just as good on the field in his first 4 years as Kirby has been. Fair or unfair, Kirby's got to show more (i.e., win a national title).

When you're comparing Richt and Kirby, I think it's key to use consistent timeframes of their careers. Kirby's first 4 years at Georgia look good compared to Richt's last 4 years at Georgia, but I'm not sure that is the best comparison. During each of their first 4 years, both coaches were these young, fresh-faced, great coordinators on their sides of the ball that injected some life back into the programs. Richt was never as good of a recruiter as Kirby was, but he was better than Donnan. Kirby has shown to be a better recruiter than Richt. All the other similarities are there. An install/retool year in year 1, an SEC title and top 3 finish in year 2 (...and Richt would have been in a 4-team playoff had one existed), and then a loss in the SECCG in year 3. On the field, Kirby has achieved more than Richt only in the number of division titles...Kirby made it back to the SECCG in year 4 and lost, while Richt did not make it to the SECCG in year 4 but did finish #7 overall.

Overall, this notion that Kirby is a way better coach than Richt is just a perception in people's minds, not borne out by any facts (so far). I think it's got a lot to do with Kirby being a hardass while Richt was this nice, almost meek guy, plus Kirby is a better recruiter and has played in a national championship game. But remember Richt also would have had a chance to play for a title in 2002 had a CFP existed. If a CFP didn't exist in 2017, Kirby wouldn't have had a chance to play in the title game, just like Richt didn't have a chance to, since they were both outside the top 2 when the conference title games were over.
I agree with all of this. I liked Richt as a coach and like what Kirby is doing as well. That’s why I don’t understand when used as a negative. I hope Kirby wins a national title and continues to dominate UF and the east. So far he is on a great path and making aggressive moves to keep improving. The one area Richt lacked imo was his loyalty to coaches like Willie Martinez that seemed to erode the program.

Reactions: Dawgoutofwater

VN Store

Back