Schools Given Option to Move Up Openers

I don't think this matters because ultimately i don't see anybody playing their annual cupcake games this season.
me either but those cupcake schools count on the $$ they get for coming into P5 stadiums - just to keep the programs alive -- there might be quite a few that end up dropping the sport because of cancellations

me either but those cupcake schools count on the $$ they get for coming into P5 stadiums - just to keep the programs alive -- there might be quite a few that end up dropping the sport because of cancellations

Yep... thats the main reason i support cupcake games. Those games support scholarship sports for a lot of kids that arent playing to go pro in sports but gives them an opportunity to get an education they may not have had without going 5 figures in debt.

Nb4 GA St is brought up.

I would say do it too. I know that there is probably concern from the coaching staff about losing a little prep time before your first game, but if COVID hits the locker room, you have potential to get players back before OU.

Of course this is all assuming that the season happens and what is happeing with MLB isnt a precursor.

I would love for Tennessee to play a full twelve-game regular season, but the likelihood of that happening seems relatively low for a variety of reasons. Accordingly, why don't the Big XII/SEC/ACC just rip the G5/FCS bandage off and look into scheduling mega inter-conference matchups for August 29th? If there is reason to fear that a full season won't be possible, why not maximize your revenue and try to get in as many premier matchups before the curtain closes?

Tennessee vs. Oklahoma and Texas vs. LSU on August 29th would be marquee games right out the gate and allow two weeks before an augmented conference slate begins on September 12th with (perhaps) another two weeks before the next game on the 26th.

I would love for Tennessee to play a full twelve-game regular season, but the likelihood of that happening seems relatively low for a variety of reasons. Accordingly, why don't the Big XII/SEC/ACC just rip the G5/FCS bandage off and look into scheduling mega inter-conference matchups for August 29th? If there is reason to fear that a full season won't be possible, why not maximize your revenue and try to get in as many premier matchups before the curtain closes?

Tennessee vs. Oklahoma and Texas vs. LSU on August 29th would be marquee games right out the gate and allow two weeks before an augmented conference slate begins on September 12th with (perhaps) another two weeks before the next game on the 26th.
Yeah I think by the end of this or next week we will see a partnership created by the SEC, ACC and Big XII that will create continuity through testing and scheduling.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
As much as I'd love to see this happen I think the bubble gets bursted later this week when the SEC announces conference only plus one. And at some point I think that will be in jeopardy as well. Gonna be intersting to see what comes out of the Marlins situation. I think a lot people will be paying close attention to how MLB deals with that and what it means for the other sports moving forward.

Losing the FCS or the G5 would suck.

Is it any worse than losing to Georgia State for crying out loud? Who wants that on their resume? Its hard to ever go down in the annals of Vol lore with an L to Georgia State on your back. Never expected to see a Michigan/Appalachian State type game but at least Appalachian State was known as a power at their level.

We have a senior at QB that is not getting any positive preseason press but no negative either. Just not being mentioned. Let's hope he proves people wrong that says he doesn't have what it takes. Any above average QB play and we would be a force to be reckoned with. The other team knows he can be easily rattled.

Last edited:
Is it any worse than losing to Georgia State for crying out loud? Who wants that on their resume? Its hard to ever go down in the annals of Vol lore with an L to Georgia State on your back. Never expected to see a Michigan/Appalachian State type game but at least Appalachian State was known as a power at their level.

We a senior at QB that is not getting any positive preseason press but no negative either. Just not being mentioned. Let's hope he proves people wrong that says he doesn't have what it takes. Any above average QB play and we would be a force to be reckoned with. The other team knows he can be easily rattled.
I'm just saying that it would suck if the entirety of FCS and G5 didn't have football. Would hurt the sport.

I would say do it too. I know that there is probably concern from the coaching staff about losing a little prep time before your first game, but if COVID hits the locker room, you have potential to get players back before OU.

Of course this is all assuming that the season happens and what is happeing with MLB isnt a precursor.
Charlotte should be prep.

(I said "should be". I don't want to hear about GA ST. Dangit. I said "GA ST".)

We a senior at QB that is not getting any positive preseason press but no negative either. Just not being mentioned. Let's hope he proves people wrong that says he doesn't have what it takes. Any above average QB play and we would be a force to be reckoned with. The other team knows he can be easily rattled.

Release the cracken

This could be good. But goodness, some real decisions need to be made SOON. We are running out of time.

VN Store

Back