Scholarship Question for those with more knowledge

Meachem

hardcore fan here. Follow recruiting just don’t put to much into the scholarships part of it. Obviously we only have 71 players on the roster. We can only sign 20 players this recruiting class correct? Being how limited we are on scholarship players. How long will it take us to get back up to 85 players? Can we take in any transfers without it counting on how many we can sign? Now with the transfer portal could we dip into the portal to fill our roster?

Reactions: savannahfan
The current limit calls for 25 players per class.
Expanding the class limit is just one of multiple proposals on the table. Others include expanding the total number of signees and limiting high school signees to 25 while allowing for an additional number of scholarships to be granted to transfer players.
It is almost impossible to count how many classes it will take to get back to 85 scholarship players as we never know from year to year how many will transfer, quit, leave early, etc. If the rules change maybe we could do it in 3 years, if the rules do not change it could take 5-7 years.
I think a lot of coaches are going to sign about 18-22 HS players and keep a couple of slots open for transfers in each recruiting class.

There is probably a number of scholarships available from 2021 Tenn can backcountry if a player comes in at mid term. Then they can sign 25 for 2022...., provided the NCAA doesn’t take any away or Tennessee doesn’t sacrifice any as punishment

I read this morning that the NCAA is working on a one year waiver to allow up to 7 additional scholarships if you’ve lost that many players or more to the transfer portal. We could potentially sign 32 in this next class if it passes. You still would have to stay at 85 max. A school that only has 80 on scholarship and lost 5 to the portal could sign 30.

There is probably a number of scholarships available from 2021 Tenn can backcountry if a player comes in at mid term. Then they can sign 25 for 2022...., provided the NCAA doesn’t take any away or Tennessee doesn’t sacrifice any as punishment

We had 17 signees from the last class. Two were dismissed, so 15 total scholarships last class.

If I'm not mistaken...

VN Store

Back