Schofield Tweet

Not being able to make money off of yourself is the definition of anti-capitalistic.

Why should the NCAA be able to tell someone they aren't allowed to make money off of their own likeness?
They aren't telling them that, they're just saying that they can't do it while a part of their organization. If I invent something that related to the work I do in my organization, they own the patent. I signed the papers when I went to work there, just like athletes sign the papers when they get a scholarship.

Barnes got exposure, experience, and an opportunity to become an NBA coach. I guess he shouldn't be paid for his college days. See how that works?[/QUOTE
It's the same where I work, CEO and top tier management make 10's of millions of dollars while average salary is quite a bit less than $100k. I can seek compensation outside if the company, but I am limited on those opportunities based on the papers I signed upon going to work there. Just as athletes are limited by papers they sign when going to a University. They are free to pursue compensation, just not as long as they are part of the NCAA. If anything, the NFL and NBA's rules about how old someone has to be to apply should be the question, however I do not think there is a specific law that protects this age group from age discrimination. I can see both sides of the argument and I personally don't know the answer.

How will this new rule change anything?

This rule would allow for the very few to make money, simply before they turn professional and make more money.

This had NOTHING to do with the student athlete, and has very, very little to do with the college athlete.

Allowing anyone to play professional, let’s anyone have the ability to profit. Also it allows college to remain roughly the same as now and then focus on “real” change.

Where did I say anything about the rule change (good or bad)?

The athletes are entertainers who provide excitement to millions of fans on the gridiron, court or diamond every season.

I am surprised they don't get a percentage of ticket revenue.

Huh?......you didn’t.......where did I say, you said anything?

I was just making “my” point.

No worries...thought you were trying to debate me on the rule change which confused me because I was clearly addressing the corruption that is the 'AA

How come? Rick Barnes made money due to him, the assistants made money due to him, the school made money due to him, the SEC made money due to him, ESPN made money due to him, the NCAA made money due to him, the State of Tennessee made money due to him, etc......
You sure about the free of debt part?

The athletes are entertainers who provide excitement to millions of fans on the gridiron, court or diamond every season.

I am surprised they don't get a percentage of ticket revenue.
In the old Roman days, they fought lions in the coliseum and could give two sh—ts about the residuals. They were happy to live to fight another day. But, times are different and perspectives change.

VN Store

Back