Schedule Breakdown

key to the season is the first 4 games...hopefully we dont come out flat against ncst and get that win and no better shot to beat florida than when they are kind of down and we are at home and at night...we start 4-0 and then we should have no problem getting to at least 8 wins..we lose that ncst game and things could get ugly

I agree that the first 4 games will tell us everything about the rest of the season. If we go 2-2 Dooley better start praying we snag a few later in the season. If we go 4-0 get excited big orange country because its going to be a good year. To be honest, I see us going 3-1.

There really isn't any reason UT shouldn't be 4-0 going into the UGA game and at worst 5-1 going into Bama.

MSU may play us tough but when was the last time they beat us? I've only been a UT fan since 2001 and they haven't beaten us since I've been a fan.

Their offense was pretty bad last year. I think we have to play smart and not beat ourselves against them. I have no idea who they have returning, so not sure what our chances are against them.

Game is in Athens. Advantage Georgia IMO.

I really don't see us struggling against UGA this year. Not to mention the fact that we only lost by 8 last year, here's my outlook on the unit battles after their loss of Crowell:

QB: Push. I personally think Bray is a better, stronger QB (Murray led the SEC in INTs last year), but people would attack me if i gave the edge to Bray. No doubt Murray is an elite QB, but i question his decision making.

O-line: Vols. Murray was knocked down the most in the SEC last year while Bray was the least, and UGA lost three o-lineman i believe. I know our running game was terrible, but i think there's a common sentiment that we will be much better this year in that regard. Tiny.

RB: Push. Huge question marks on both sides

WR: Vols. Nuff Said.

D-Line: UGA. Gotta give them this one

Linebackers: UGA. We have potential, but there's no arguing this one.

DB: Push. With all of their suspensions, who is going to step up for UGA? Without any suspensions, who is going to step up for UT?

UGA 2 - UT 2 - Push 3

I think the game all depends on whether or not UT's defense has become a serviceable unit by that time. If we can put pressure on Murray to make errant throws, and our LBs contain, i think we can whip em.

@ MSU is not a must win game. That could be a pretty close game. Y'all are crazy if you think UT can just walk into Starkville and take home a win.

Maybe Im misunderstanding what "must win" means but Im not sure it means its a lock that UT gets one against MSU.

UT will walk into a tough road game against a solid team but with plenty enough talent, experience and depth to win. For the direction and future of DD its a must win. IMO

We need to win one of USCe or UF.

I agree.

If this team can get off to a 3-0 start (including wins over NCSt and UF) it will do wonders IMO.

This group has never tasted success. Sometimes the biggest hurdle is the first one. The program needs something good to happen early on.

Good post - I agree for the most part.

I would probably put Mizzou and MS State in a separate category falling in between "Wins" and "SEC Battles". Maybe call it "Probable Wins"..

Mizzou has a potent O with a dual threat QB and could very well cause problems. It will be a shootout and will likely come down to who can force the most turnovers.

MS State seems to always play us tough and they're always physical. Mullen is a good coach and it could be a tough one, especially since we play them @ their place.

agree 100% with this. Should win vs both but wouldn't be shocked with a loss. Maybe shocked at Mizzou though

I think we take 2 out of 3 (UF, UGA, USCe). I think it will probably be UF and UGA. UF has a very good D, but a lot of questions on O. We will have a very good O with a lot of questions on D. I think their questions are greater than ours, and if need be we can score a lot of points quickly.

UGA: Lots of turmoil within that program lately. Not sure how they will respond. Like UF they have a very good D, and even though they have a good QB they still have some questions on O. Again, I think if need be we can out score them.

From a realistic standpoint if you study our depth chart, staff, and schedule I don't think anyone could disagree. We have some depth at every position level. If the season doesn't look similar to this we will have a new coach in 2013.

Wins
NC State Wolfpack
Georgia State Panthers
Akron Zips
at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Troy Trojans
Missouri Tigers
at Vanderbilt Commodores
Kentucky Wildcats

-These are 8 must win games, I believe the VOLs have what it takes to win these.

SEC Battles
Florida Gators
at Georgia Bulldogs
at South Carolina Gamecocks

-These will be our toughest games that we could win. Dooley will be fighting for his job and a signature win, and I believe the VOLs will win 1 of 3.

loss
Alabama Crimson Tide

-As much as I hate this they have recruited better, have better talent, and are better coached. This is a loss.

Even if it takes a bowl win, any combo of 8 or more wins and less than 5 losses for the VOLs will keep Dooley's job. We have the talent to get to 9, and if we get 9 wins we will without a doubt be ranked and finish the season in top 25. If our run game improves we will have the most explosive offense in the SEC.***This is baring a 2nd season of the injury bug that struck us last year with all of our top players going down.

NEVER concede victory....especially 45 days before the season even starts.....i just dont get why everyone is chalking Bama up as our 1 for sure loss. sure, they're good....no, real good..but they lost a ton of talent and as good as they may or may not be, they are NOT 22 football gods...they are just kids, like ours, that have to make thru what 5, 6 games before comming here....anything can happen. maybe they have a justin hunter go down in game 3. maybe last years backups that will be starting this year arent nearly as good as all their fans think they are when the lights come on....please guys, let's atleast act like we have some faith our boys to beat these gumps........my prediction is that we beat atleast 2 out of the big 4 this year( ua, uf, uga and usc) of not 3..or hell, all of them.....GO DAMN VOLS:thumbsup:

I agree.

If this team can get off to a 3-0 start (including wins over NCSt and UF) it will do wonders IMO.

This group has never tasted success. Sometimes the biggest hurdle is the first one. The program needs something good to happen early on.

AMEN......all the horrible luck, combined with some horrible decision making over the last 2 years has almost become a trend here....i hate trends...unless ofcourse they are W's.....

i just think if everbody thinkin we gonna beat georgia then we got to beat bammer. georgia will be toughest game imo. bammer lost alot of good players this year.

Alabama just reloads. Yes they lost alot of starters but their backups are just as talented and got alot of playing time. Ala far and away is our toughest game this year and its not even close. Ga has alot of suspensions and a True FR prob starting at RB. We could beat GA if we play a near perfect game. We played them close last year and they arent any better than they were last year and we should be much improved. Not saying we beat UGA or USCe but both games are winnable and i fully expect to beat the Gators this year. They have no QB and WRs. If we dont beat them this year we may never beat them. Ala to me is the only for sure loss. But could easily lose to Ala, GA, USCe, FL, Mizzou, Miss St...If we lose all 63 of those we hiring a search firm in December. We really should win 8+ games.

Agreed. It will be a tough game, but it is winnable.

NEVER concede victory....especially 45 days before the season even starts.....i just dont get why everyone is chalking Bama up as our 1 for sure loss. sure, they're good....no, real good..but they lost a ton of talent and as good as they may or may not be, they are NOT 22 football gods...they are just kids, like ours, that have to make thru what 5, 6 games before comming here....anything can happen. maybe they have a justin hunter go down in game 3. maybe last years backups that will be starting this year arent nearly as good as all their fans think they are when the lights come on....please guys, let's atleast act like we have some faith our boys to beat these gumps........my prediction is that we beat atleast 2 out of the big 4 this year( ua, uf, uga and usc) of not 3..or hell, all of them.....GO DAMN VOLS:thumbsup:

I think a lot of teams will sleep on the Vols this year and we will show them up. I personally think UF, Bama, USC, and UGA will be closer than people estimate. The Vols could win 2 of 4 games, but realistically probably just 1.

I think a lot of teams will sleep on the Vols this year and we will show them up. I personally think UF, Bama, USC, and UGA will be closer than people estimate. The Vols could win 2 of 4 games, but realistically probably just 1.

We lost by a combined 19 points to UGA and USC last year. I think we are much better this year. You could make the argument that UGA has lost a ton in the off season. I think we could easily win 3/4. I will take 2/4 as my probable with UGA and UF as the most winnable

Reactions: 1 person
We lost by a combined 19 points to UGA and USC last year. I think we are much better this year. You could make the argument that UGA has lost a ton in the off season. I think we could easily win 3/4. I will take 2/4 as my probable with UGA and UF as the most winnable

I agree, but I think USC might be more winnable than UGA we lost 14-3 with our JV on the field last year. Some will make the arguement that they didn't have Lattimore, but I think our D will be able to hold strong.
If Dooley doesn't have a signature SEC win this year he will be 0-14 against Bama, UGA, UF, S.Carolina, and LSU. I am 100% behind Dooley and I think we have the talent to go 4-0 against these guys but realistically the VOls will go 1-3 or 2-2.

i aint taking anyone for granted...Vandy is going to be a tough game as well as Kentucky...

I just don't believe it. I think we owe Vandy a no-mercy, put them back in their place beat-down, and I think we will pull that off this year after last year's aberration of a close game. Kentucky too.

VN Store

Back