Scariest moment as a parent

I don't think it was her first principle job, even if it was though, she'd been there forever. That's why I eventually had to settle for what I did and that's it. Back then the "good ole boy network" still ran everything here and she was right in the middle of it. With the climate in schools the last couple decades off threats, active shooters, and other high danger things I was warned by a few people that if I pushed too much they'd scream harassment and what not. It could cost me my job I'd been doing for 15 years at the time. Plus they still didn't KNOW how I knew what had happened. We were hugely thankful that his teacher went against orders and contacted us. We didn't want to put her job in danger by throwing her under the bus, and letting them know just how much we knew.

In the end we were just thankful our son was ok.
Trust me when I say that principal was terrified you were going to take her to court. The current education system thinks it will be sure for every little thing. This was a huge thing and you could've gotten something done if you had pushed. I do respect your decision though. I bet it was tough making it.

Reactions: goldenvol
I don't think it was her first principle job, even if it was though, she'd been there forever. That's why I eventually had to settle for what I did and that's it. Back then the "good ole boy network" still ran everything here and she was right in the middle of it. With the climate in schools the last couple decades off threats, active shooters, and other high danger things I was warned by a few people that if I pushed too much they'd scream harassment and what not. It could cost me my job I'd been doing for 15 years at the time. Plus they still didn't KNOW how I knew what had happened. We were hugely thankful that his teacher went against orders and contacted us. We didn't want to put her job in danger by throwing her under the bus, and letting them know just how much we knew.

In the end we were just thankful our son was ok.

Your a good man. Most people couldn't have showed that type restraint.

I have one with my son thats not super scary but can show quickly kids can hurt themselves.

My wife and I were in the kitchen talking about something. My son(2.5 at that time) was playing behind us and all of a sudden we hear him smack the floor and instantly start screaming. We wheel around and somehow he has fell face down smacking his front teeth on the ground and digging them into his upper lip. We call and send pics to his dentist.

Fast forward 6 months give or take and were at a swimming pool. We strip him down and wrap him like a burrito in a towel (bad decision) when were getting ready to leave. We were walking to the car and he gets his feet tangled while wearing flip flops and falls face forward to the concrete hitting his face. He couldnt put his arms out to catch himself cause of the towel wrapped around him. Once again his teeth tear his lips all to pieces.

We take him to the dentist because were worried about his teeth dying from the trauma. Needless to say the dentist looks at my wife like were beating our child and starts asking pointed questions.

So, he's 6 now and all of his front teeth are basically dead. So, were in the process of figuring out the best way to deal with them.

Not my kid but my niece who was 4.5 at the time. Family dinner at my parents house. Everyone but myself is still sitting at the table I had gotten up to clean up the kitchen a bit and stick my head around the corner to see what she was doing. She is on the carpeted stairs sitting down tying a string she was playing with to the hand rail. I thought, ok no big deal she's being quiet minding herself. I go back and rinse off some more dishes. The next time I come around the corner she is facing the stairs, leaning backwards, both hands holding onto this string she "tied" to the hand rail, the full weight of her body is relying on this string. Before I could even get any words out of my mouth and before I could leap toward the stairs the string comes loose. She falls on her back onto the stairs, slides or rolls down another 2 steps and somehow stops herself. That's when she makes eye contact with me and realized I saw everything that happened and said, "I'm okay". I said, "and that's exactly why you'll never ever do that again because you really could have killed yourself doing that." I wanted to use so many other colorful words after that scare.

Father to 5 so I’ve got a handful.

Worst moment was when the twins were born. C section, the girl is delivered first and then the boy. Well he cries first so the next few minutes we’re about as stressful as ever. Turns out the girl baby held her breath twice before crying. They were 6 weeks early and tiny as far as I’m concerned. The boy spent a week in NICU and girl was in there for 13 days. I was a wreck waiting to hear her cry.

When the VOL baby was delivered C section I was watching a grown woman pull with all her might on my wife trying to get the baby some room to get out. After a few minutes of this they sent me out long enough to handle it, but how long I have know idea. She was a big baby.

The girl twin as a toddler jumped in my lap as I was standing. She landed on her head and cried until she couldn’t catch her breath and then stopped crying and went limp. Seconds later she went back to crying and was fine.

With my oldest, he was only in his diaper barely a toddler. I was playing a pinball machine in my parent’s carport when I heard a car go by. As I turned and looked he was on the other side of the road that the car went by on.

Y’all pray for me and mine. I’m not kidding.

When the doctor told me that they'd done all they could for my son and that I needed to prepare my family to say goodbye.

Reactions: joevol33
When the doctor told me that they'd done all they could for my son and that I needed to prepare my family to say goodbye.

This is my biggest fear of all. Everything else is a very distant concern.

I cant imagine how I would deal with it.

Simply unfair. Maybe one day I will understand why children are taken far far too early, but I don't think I will in this lifetime.

Child # 1 - Choking in a restaurant. My fat fingers rammed down his throat couldn't have felt great, but it worked. Honorable mention: got into a rock climbing situation (we were hiking) that was steeper than it looked. He was 6, we were probably 40-50 feet up before I realized this was a terrible idea. I slept good that night.
Child # 2 - Sat up on the back of his high chair and fell backward, landing on the back of his head. Linoleum floor. Honorable mention: He was 2. I said "get off that top bunk"..so he jumped off the top bunk and landed flat-footed on the ground. He didn't react, but when he tried to walk he just sat down and refused. Broke his leg.
Child # 3 - My only girl. Pulled a dresser and TV over on top of herself because she has idiot parents. Thankfully she was fine.
Child # 4 - C-section. My wife decided to nurse him while they wheeled her from the OR back to our room. She was lying flat on her back, and his face was buried in them bigguns (pics unavailable). We got to the room and he was blue from being smothered...like...BLUE blue. They yanked him up and gave him a good shaking and checked his vitals. He was fine, but it freaked us out.

Child # 1 - Choking in a restaurant. My fat fingers rammed down his throat couldn't have felt great, but it worked. Honorable mention: got into a rock climbing situation (we were hiking) that was steeper than it looked. He was 6, we were probably 40-50 feet up before I realized this was a terrible idea. I slept good that night.
Child # 2 - Sat up on the back of his high chair and fell backward, landing on the back of his head. Linoleum floor. Honorable mention: He was 2. I said "get off that top bunk"..so he jumped off the top bunk and landed flat-footed on the ground. He didn't react, but when he tried to walk he just sat down and refused. Broke his leg.
Child # 3 - My only girl. Pulled a dresser and TV over on top of herself because she has idiot parents. Thankfully she was fine.
Child # 4 - C-section. My wife decided to nurse him while they wheeled her from the OR back to our room. She was lying flat on her back, and his face was buried in them bigguns (pics unavailable). We got to the room and he was blue from being smothered...like...BLUE blue. They yanked him up and gave him a good shaking and checked his vitals. He was fine, but it freaked us out.

Quadfecta

We were camping last year over July 4th. My 6 year old, 5 then is my wildest child in the sense of no fear. we were cleaning up after supper and he decided to get on his older brothers bike which he could ride but his feet couldn't touch the ground,. our campsite was on a smaller hill. he got on it and went down the hill and couldn't stop and went towards another campsite down the hill. he hit the grass and went over the handlebars and he went head first to a concrete wall where they built up a campsite from the water. it was one of the moments where multiple adults could just watch and nothing you could do. thankfully there were nurses and other medical staff camping near us that weekend. my wife rushed him to the hospital which gave bad care in the sense. they said it was just a bad road rash. but he ended up having a concussion and skull fracture. he still is a dare devil

We were camping last year over July 4th. My 6 year old, 5 then is my wildest child in the sense of no fear. we were cleaning up after supper and he decided to get on his older brothers bike which he could ride but his feet couldn't touch the ground,. our campsite was on a smaller hill. he got on it and went down the hill and couldn't stop and went towards another campsite down the hill. he hit the grass and went over the handlebars and he went head first to a concrete wall where they built up a campsite from the water. it was one of the moments where multiple adults could just watch and nothing you could do. thankfully there were nurses and other medical staff camping near us that weekend. my wife rushed him to the hospital which gave bad care in the sense. they said it was just a bad road rash. but he ended up having a concussion and skull fracture. he still is a dare devil
I often marvel that enough of us survive long enough to reproduce and keep the species going!

When my youngest daughter was 1 day old, they noticed her oxygen saturation was low on the newborn screening. Needless to say she went to 3 hospitals in about 12 hours. We were called to UT to meet with a cardiologist. He told us she had HLHS. Scared doesn't even begin to describe the emotions. She had her first surgery at 6 days old. Spent about 7 months at Vandy back in 2015. She's now 4, has had 3 open heart surgeries, pacemaker, numerous cath procedures, mainly fed by gtube which has been 3 operations, among other minor procedures. But by the grace of God she's still here, sassy, and smart. I worry a lot about how her mind may be affected by all the procedures and being put under. The pic I attached is old, but this is a Vols site.

Attachments

• govols.jpg
    govols.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 4
When my youngest daughter was 1 day old, they noticed her oxygen saturation was low on the newborn screening. Needless to say she went to 3 hospitals in about 12 hours. We were called to UT to meet with a cardiologist. He told us she had HLHS. Scared doesn't even begin to describe the emotions. She had her first surgery at 6 days old. Spent about 7 months at Vandy back in 2015. She's now 4, has had 3 open heart surgeries, pacemaker, numerous cath procedures, mainly fed by gtube which has been 3 operations, among other minor procedures. But by the grace of God she's still here, sassy, and smart. I worry a lot about how her mind may be affected by all the procedures and being put under. The pic I attached is old, but this is a Vols site.
I have a friend who has a child with the same condition, and I have seen her struggle and fear. I'll keep your little girl in my prayers.

VN Store

Back