SCar fans first time in Neyland

I'm always thankful when I hear opposing fans were treated well.

One of my favorite parts of game day is the band playing the other team's fight song. We sit directly across from them, and I love it when they clap and cheer and yell with our band.

I've always thought it was pretty cool that we played to visiting teams fight song. Does anyone know if any other bands do this?

GBO!!
:cool:

Several in this thread said there is no reason to mistreat an opposing fan, I disagree! I’m not one to mistreat anyone, but if you act like ass to me, that’s how I will treat you in return, same goes for in the stadium. I have met and sat with and around all types. As long as they are respectful, that’s exactly how they will be treated in my section. But if you are disrespectful, that’s how you will be treated as well.

One of my favorite parts of game day is the band playing the other team's fight song. We sit directly across from them, and I love it when they clap and cheer and yell with our band.
I hate our classless student section booing the other team and their fight song. Those fans love their team just like we love the Vols. I have also witnessed too many drunks cussing other fans who are their to enjoy a game and the Neyland experience.

Reactions: VolNExile

Some fans don't like that but I love that the POTS does that for the opposing fans.

Here' s my 1st Neyland story: Junior year of college, xfer to UT from a smaller college. Rooming with an old high school buddy who happens to be in Pride of the Southland. I get to campus on a Wed. He says they just had a drummer quit and I should go talk to the director and see if I can take his spot. I'm thinking this is 1000 to 1, right? Who just walks into the band that have been practicing for weeks for the season? I walk in, the director peers over his glasses, like he's gonna crush me like a bug. He calls up my old HS director and says, "I've got this boy in my office. Is he any good?" Hangs up the phone and says be at practice tomorrow 6.30. Wow, I'm in. Then it hits me I have 1.5 hrs to learn where to be and when on the field. I could screw up the whole show. Luckily drummers pretty much move forward/backward. I had some guy next to me yelling when to go and stop.
Game day Sat arrives, I'm in uniform and marching into Neyland stadium for the first time in my life. Guys, you have no idea how loud it is on that field when the T opens. I can't even hear my own drum. Probably one of the coolest things that has ever happened in my life. When you're in the band you go to all the games and get the best seats. :) That's' when I became a true Vol fan.

As a member of the Pride, I always enjoyed it, particularly when they had a great fight song. Step to the Rear (USC) and Arkansas Fight were probably my two favorites. We always joked that it was nice of us to let their fans finally hear their own fight song played well.
Excellent! Check out my POTS story above!

I brought 2 SC fans with me. We stayed downtown Fri and Sat nite.
One of them I have gone with to several UT/SC games and even UT/UF games over the years we have been friends since we ere kids.
The other guy had never been to Neyland. His only road trip was to LSU which he said was great.

He raved about the Volwalk, the band and the stadium. Really enjoyed everything about the way UT does a football Saturday. He wasn't thrilled about the outcome of the game but he was very impressed by the trip.

Here' s my 1st Neyland story: Junior year of college, xfer to UT from a smaller college. Rooming with an old high school buddy who happens to be in Pride of the Southland. I get to campus on a Wed. He says they just had a drummer quit and I should go talk to the director and see if I can take his spot. I'm thinking this is 1000 to 1, right? Who just walks into the band that have been practicing for weeks for the season? I walk in, the director peers over his glasses, like he's gonna crush me like a bug. He calls up my old HS director and says, "I've got this boy in my office. Is he any good?" Hangs up the phone and says be at practice tomorrow 6.30. Wow, I'm in. Then it hits me I have 1.5 hrs to learn where to be and when on the field. I could screw up the whole show. Luckily drummers pretty much move forward/backward. I had some guy next to me yelling when to go and stop.
Game day Sat arrives, I'm in uniform and marching into Neyland stadium for the first time in my life. Guys, you have no idea how loud it is on that field when the T opens. I can't even hear my own drum. Probably one of the coolest things that has ever happened in my life. When you're in the band you go to all the games and get the best seats. :) That's' when I became a true Vol fan.
that's awesome, what year was it?

Reactions: mickey1969
As a member of the Pride, I always enjoyed it, particularly when they had a great fight song. Step to the Rear (USC) and Arkansas Fight were probably my two favorites. We always joked that it was nice of us to let their fans finally hear their own fight song played well.

I have a questions for you since your a member of the Pride. I'm no music expert by any means but when playing other teams fight songs do you play them flat or is this just my imagination. I have always thought this but never had a chance to ask.

As a VFL it is hard to find the memory of the first time I saw Neyland stadium, but I was 7 years old in 1970. When your blessed to be raised a Tennessee fan, it is easy to forget how "one of a Kind" the Neyland experience is. I can still recall great games, the walking horse, the Bama Vol Rivalry, the beginning of the Florida Tennessee rivalry, Johnny coming home, the defeat of the Bear, Condredge Holoway, Stanely Morgan, Willie gault, Reggie White, and on and on. Tennessee is a great State with the oldest land grant university, full of proud unique traditions, great memories, and still despite the decade of darkness capable of making the hair rise on your neck when you hear "Its football time in Tennessee!"GBO

I have a questions for you since your a member of the Pride. I'm no music expert by any means but when playing other teams fight songs do you play them flat or is this just my imagination. I have always thought this but never had a chance to ask.
No, but I've heard some songs that were arranged in a different key, which could lead to that impression.

We were on Row 1 behind where recruits and visitors get to mingle before the game. Section W. I was estimating 90-95,000. Was hoping for full capacity after the uptick the last couple games. But, it was loud enough you'd have never known it wasn't full. Very loud. And rowdy thanks to the refs. My ears were ringing. It was very humbling to share my B-Day present with him on his first SEC game in such an explosive atmosphere.

My son is somewhat neutral on his fandom, and it was his first trip to a major college game. My bad on that since he's a HS junior that plays football and baseball. Which makes his lack of a true favorite college team rather curious. He likes being his own person. I'm UT, even though I grew up in GA. My dad was GA cause he got his PhD there and worked for them, even though he also degreed at UT and Tn Tech. And his mom is LSU. So, by his way of things, he wasn't on board those three.

He was rather impressed and had a good time. I started him off with lunch at Gus'. He had the steak sandwich. He was very impressed. He's an eating machine. Afterwards walking back out we were nearing Firehouse. Figured he remembered where we were. Said "you hungry?" Yeah, I could eat. "I wouldn't mind having something else from that Gus' place." Line was out door and up sidewalk, so he kind of exhaled and said we'd get something else. Ended up at 17th Street Market cause we parked around the corner. My God the wings were good. He was happy. He might not be sold on Vol football yet, but Gus' Good Times Deli has his attention.

I kept teasing him about getting something from the Vol Shop or every sales tent we passed. He did keep checking out the mini helmets and ended up with one but could never get him to bite on a t-shirt to wear. He might be winnable though. His t-shirt and flannel shirt were soaked and he made a soft comment about maybe he should have got one of the cheaper t-shirts to change into when we got to the car. I'll keep working on him. He's more of a Falcon's guy. But, he also left with Jason Witten's autograph and that's one of his favorite players. Neyland is a destination venue, if you truly appreciate college football. And the best I've been in. Clemson was really good, but the opponent has to be just right. What was really cool Saturday, being a evening game, was the cell phone lights and sing along to Garth Brooks by 95,000 people. Neyland event planners don't miss much.

A great day. God created Saturdays at Neyland to have an experience with your teenage kid. And I can always relish in the fact that his Jason Witten autograph...is on a Tennessee Vol ballcap. lol. A minor victory.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back