'20 SC WR Jalin Hyatt (UT SIGNEE)

Not dismissing himjust dismissing those who are showing desperation for something other than Gusrantano that they will invent reasons for embellishment of a mediocre performsnce.

Sounds like if you had a choice you’d pick Guarantano which is fine, that’s your choice. You know what you’re going to get with him. He’s proven that he’s not going to throw many picks, he’s going to hit his first read as long as it’s open and not a lateral pass, and he’s tough. He does not have good pocket awareness, often is late with getting the ball out, he’s not a great runner, and he has not shown that he can put the team on his back and carry us to victories over any of our rivals (Auburn was an outlier).

Maurer threw more picks than tds his freshman year, he had a propensity of getting banged up, and he throws off balance too often. He is the most athletic qb we have, has good on-field awareness, often hits receivers in stride, and can run pretty well. I don’t see anyone saying he’s perfect or a game changer, or desperate for something other than JG, but in my opinion he is the best option we have at the moment.

Not dismissing himjust dismissing those who are showing desperation for something other than Gusrantano that they will invent reasons for embellishment of a mediocre performsnce.
Yeah. You really are and in particular since few if any actually "embellish" his performances. You can break them down and see some really good stuff that gives you hope but some pretty bad stuff too. If he cleans up the bad stuff and expands on the good stuff then he can become a really good QB. But really it is nothing but potential at this point. He won't start unless he's improved. In fact, he will likely get buried. If somehow he were to start playing like he did last year... UT will struggle to make a bowl.

Am I desperate to see something better than we've seen over the past 3 years and particularly from the guy who has played most of the snaps during that period? Yes. All Vol fans should be. No one has played "winning football" at the QB position during that period. Consistent mediocrity would have been a massive improvement.

You're just looking for reasons to dismiss him. I see potential which may or may not turn into performance.

LOL.... the performance of a true freshman in his first start against one of the nation's top teams vs a 5th year Sr's performance against similar opposition... and you can't even see "potential"? You are trying WAY too hard to dismiss him.
I think it’s apt because both came out gangbusters until the defenses adjusted. Then they were muted. Neither had a comparable performance during the season. Yes, Chryst had extensive starting experience but he also proved to be barely mediocre as a career starter...at best. Sometimes you are what you are. Maurer hasn’t had an opportunity to prove otherwise, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility whilst judging the short sample size.

I think it’s apt because both came out gangbusters until the defenses adjusted. Then they were muted. Neither had a comparable performance during the season. Yes, Chryst had extensive starting experience but he also proved to be barely mediocre as a career starter...at best. Sometimes you are what you are. Maurer hasn’t had an opportunity to prove otherwise, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility whilst judging the short sample size.
I just don't see anyone except maybe and occasionally 1vol8 doing what Pepe suggests concerning Maurer. I certainly don't claim to see anything more than a possibility that he could become a good QB. You are right about the limitations of his "tool kit" as a Fr. OTOH... JG is a 5th year player with a very limited tool set. Maurer is still an unknown as are HB, Shrout, and the others. Much of the conflict is that we're comparing opinions about potential with JG's actual performance. If there are common "embellishments" to be found here... it comes from a handful of JG cultists.

Maurer has a good arm and athleticism. He is said to have a good work ethic. He could be great... or he could be the next Nick Stephens. In my observation, those "embellishing" and saying they know he will suck are a larger group than those claiming to know he will succeed.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
I just don't see anyone except maybe and occasionally 1vol8 doing what Pepe suggests concerning Maurer. I certainly don't claim to see anything more than a possibility that he could become a good QB. You are right about the limitations of his "tool kit" as a Fr. OTOH... JG is a 5th year player with a very limited tool set. Maurer is still an unknown as are HB, Shrout, and the others. Much of the conflict is that we're comparing opinions about potential with JG's actual performance. If there are common "embellishments" to be found here... it comes from a handful of JG cultists.
He’s the main proponent due to his personal stake, but there is a wide swath of NeverJGers who’ve preselected their fetal position cubbyholes at the mere suggestion he wins and maintains the starting nod. I’ve previously submitted that the factor of a returning OC and QB coach for the first time in his college career shouldn’t be summarily dismissed. This from someone who believes Bailey is the starter by the end of the season...health caveat of course.

He’s the main proponent due to his personal stake, but there is a wide swath of NeverJGers who’ve preselected their fetal position cubbyholes at the mere suggestion he wins and maintains the starting nod. I’ve previously submitted that the factor of a returning OC and QB coach for the first time in his college career shouldn’t be summarily dismissed. This from someone who believes Bailey is the starter by the end of the season...health caveat of course.
My doubts about JG stem from what I believe is a fatal, innate flaw. He doesn't "think fast" or anticipate well. Top tier QB's are also very frequently "creative"... he's anything but. He has a bunch of great qualities that you want. But what he lacks makes him easy to defend.

My doubts about JG stem from what I believe is a fatal, innate flaw. He doesn't "think fast" or anticipate well. Top tier QB's are also very frequently "creative"... he's anything but. He has a bunch of great qualities that you want. But what he lacks makes him easy to defend.
And I’m not convinced it fait accompli on all those points. He’s played catch up his whole time in Knoxville and one particular foray into doing his own thing was disastrous. IF the playbook and timing within the scheme is in his backpocket, then we’ll have the final verdict on his skillset. That’s not set in stone and as has been previously stated, Pruitt won’t be hesitant to replace him if he’s truly not getting results...as in the first two games last season. Despite Maurer’s personal QB coach’s lamentations, Pruitt was fully prepared to go with Maurer before the body failure.

And I’m not convinced it fait accompli on all those points. He’s played catch up his whole time in Knoxville and one particular foray into doing his own thing was disastrous. IF the playbook and timing within the scheme is in his backpocket, then we’ll have the final verdict on his skillset.
Just an opinion... I'd love to be wrong.
... Pruitt won’t be hesitant to replace him if he’s truly not getting results...as in the first two games last season. Despite Maurer’s personal QB coach’s lamentations, Pruitt was fully prepared to go with Maurer before the body failure.
Agree. I think we were in store for some exciting plays and games and some real stinkers. Starting a freshman is very seldom ideal.

Just an opinion... I'd love to be wrong.
Agree. I think we were in store for some exciting plays and games and some real stinkers. Starting a freshman is very seldom ideal.
No... but good to great coaches don’t talk themselves out of playing their best talent. See Jalen Hurts over Blake Barnett.

No... but good to great coaches don’t talk themselves out of playing their best talent. See Jalen Hurts over Blake Barnett.
After JG didn't come around, Pruitt didn't have a "good" option last year. Maurer wasn't ready which should be expected. Shrout wasn't ready which to me is a disappointment.

I think he did an very good job managing the QB's all things considered.

After JG didn't come around, Pruitt didn't have a "good" option last year. Maurer wasn't ready which should be expected. Shrout wasn't ready which to me is a disappointment.

I think he did an very good job managing the QB's all things considered.
Talking more this season.

Why is a 165 lb guy more susceptible to that than a 180 pound guy?

I don't understand his point either. Some guys overcome lack of speed/size in other ways. JJ being to tough to take down is a good example. Hyatt overcomes lack of size with pure mind blowing speed! Not only that but if you watch his tape he runs incredibly crisp routes, and every camp he has gone to says he catches EVERYTHING thrown his way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. On the deep slant either the safety helps, or it's a TD. There is no one in the NCAA that can cover him deep one on one... literally no one!

Reactions: T Dog
I will say this. If we start the season with JG and Bailey is starting by game 7 we aren’t winning 9 games. This isn’t because Bailey isnt good enough just that JG has already starting losing games and 9 will be out of reach.

Cause a 200+ safety might decapitate him at 165.
And then get thrown out the game??

I knew what your reallly meant, BUT, You're not counting this kids high grade of skill and awareness. There's no such thing as headhunters in football anymore...
Hasn't been for about 4 years now.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I don't understand his point either. Some guys overcome lack of speed/size in other ways. JJ being to tough to take down is a good example. Hyatt overcomes lack of size with pure mind blowing speed! Not only that but if you watch his tape he runs incredibly crisp routes, and every camp he has gone to says he catches EVERYTHING thrown his way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. On the deep slant either the safety helps, or it's a TD. There is no one in the NCAA that can cover him deep one on one... literally no one!
Deep Slant? We talking a Post Route or a Skinny Post Route?

VN Store

Back