Saylor Poffenbarger to UCONN

Middletown's Saylor Poffenbarger transferring from UConn

Mama Poff telling what the rest of the country already knew ! LOL STorrs is boring asf and academics dont seem to be the priority at UCONN supposedly . Of course you know those dog fans are ripping her a new one now that this article came out. Overall she didnt say anything bad or not true so oh well. Recruits will see this as well so that may be why their all up in a frenzy .
Hmm about to spread this article like wildfiređŸ€Ș

Middletown's Saylor Poffenbarger transferring from UConn

Mama Poff telling what the rest of the country already knew ! LOL STorrs is boring asf and academics dont seem to be the priority at UCONN supposedly . Of course you know those dog fans are ripping her a new one now that this article came out. Overall she didnt say anything bad or not true so oh well. Recruits will see this as well so that may be why their all up in a frenzy .
My nephew goes to UConn, and she's spot on about campus life. It's in the middle of nowhere, and especially with Covid, the social offerings are pretty non existent. Surprised to hear her comments about their academics, though. It's not Duke, but a decent enough school. Will be interesting where she ends up, since none of the other finalist schools are exactly academic powerhouses, with Maryland being the best of the bunch.

My nephew goes to UConn, and she's spot on about campus life. It's in the middle of nowhere, and especially with Covid, the social offerings are pretty non existent. Surprised to hear her comments about their academics, though. It's not Duke, but a decent enough school. Will be interesting where she ends up, since none of the other finalist schools are exactly academic powerhouses, with Maryland being the best of the bunch.

Saylor says she wants to be a mortician/run a funeral home, but that's a two year program and mostly done through community colleges or schools that only specialize in mortuary science. So saying the academic piece is lacking is a little confusing to me -- she's not going to be able to check that box at any of the big basketball schools.

Fun fact: Sylvia Fowles is working to become a licensed mortician in addition to her WNBA life.

The boyfriend is a football player at Oregon, so I wouldn't be shocked to see her somewhere in the Pac12. I'm not sure her path to playing time at Oregon, specifically, would be what she's really looking for, but things could definitely change on that front at the conclusion of this year's season, but many of the teams in the Pac12 could use her. However, Saylor has been hurt pretty much since the spring of 2020. She had surgery right after Covid ended their season and hasn't been able to shake that injury bug since, so some coaches who were super interested in high school may not be as interested since she hasn't really played the past year and a half.

Wherever she lands, I hope it's everything she's dreamed of. College is too fun and too short to stay somewhere that isn't making you happy.

Last edited:
In a nutshell ...

“It’s been a conversation, and it’s not all basketball,” Amy Poffenbarger said regarding Saylor’s decision. “The academic [side] wasn’t super-engaging, there wasn’t much to the campus life, and there wasn’t the ability to get out and meet a lot of people. Unfortunately that part of college life ... that part wasn’t happening for her.”

In a nutshell ...

“It’s been a conversation, and it’s not all basketball,” Amy Poffenbarger said regarding Saylor’s decision. “The academic [side] wasn’t super-engaging, there wasn’t much to the campus life, and there wasn’t the ability to get out and meet a lot of people. Unfortunately that part of college life ... that part wasn’t happening for her.”
You would've think she would've figured most of that out before she signed with them. Better get it right next time around cause she is already using up her one transfer.

Yep green and yellow may be her colors. He can probably make room.

Yeah, she’s his type of player and fills a role they lost when Dugalic transferred and Boley graduated. Think it’d be a better fit for her playing style as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfan2012
Unfortunately, even after getting a head start on her 2021 recruit classmates by starting her freshman year in January, Saylor found herself behind about seven guards in the Uconn rotation. Mrs. Poff mentioned in an article that Geno over recruited, apparently creating problems for Saylor. Nevertheless, hopefully Saylor finds greener pastures, for there are schools that could use her.

Unfortunately, even after getting a head start on her 2021 recruit classmates by starting her freshman year in January, Saylor found herself behind about seven guards in the Uconn rotation. Mrs. Poff mentioned in an article that Geno over recruited, apparently creating problems for Saylor. Nevertheless, hopefully Saylor finds greener pastures, for there are schools that could use her.

One could also say Poffenbarger over committed. I felt she was doing just that joining the team early. She was trying to see if she could carve out a spot by being there first. In the end it comes down to who can play the best for Geno though. I’m sure they weren’t thrilled with no playing time after she made the move early and doubled down on her commitment.

One could also say Poffenbarger over committed. I felt she was doing just that joining the team early. She was trying to see if she could carve out a spot by being there first. In the end it comes down to who can play the best for Geno though. I’m sure they weren’t thrilled with no playing time after she made the move early and doubled down on her commitment.
Her injuries IMO cancelled out any "headstart" she may have acquired.

Reactions: VolBall09
I've said the NCAA needs to cut women's scholarships in basketball to 13 just like in the men's game because that would cut down quite a bit on transfers right there. Instead of 1000 it might go to 750. Most teams can play 10 or 11 in a lot of games and usually cut down to 8 or 9 for better opponent games. When you have 15 on a team just to many sitting some players feel buried and realize it could be years or never before they play. This new transfer rule gives them an out of which I totally approve just a long as they have to sit a year if they leave again.

Saylor says she wants to be a mortician/run a funeral home, but that's a two year program and mostly done through community colleges or schools that only specialize in mortuary science. So saying the academic piece is lacking is a little confusing to me -- she's not going to be able to check that box at any of the big basketball schools.

Fun fact: Sylvia Fowles is working to become a licensed mortician in addition to her WNBA life.

The boyfriend is a football player at Oregon, so I wouldn't be shocked to see her somewhere in the Pac12. I'm not sure her path to playing time at Oregon, specifically, would be what she's really looking for, but things could definitely change on that front at the conclusion of this year's season, but many of the teams in the Pac12 could use her. However, Saylor has been hurt pretty much since the spring of 2020. She had surgery right after Covid ended their season and hasn't been able to shake that injury bug since, so some coaches who were super interested in high school may not be as interested since she hasn't really played the past year and a half.

Wherever she lands, I hope it's everything she's dreamed of. College is too fun and too short to stay somewhere that isn't making you happy.
Well, boyfriends can take and as well as give. Currently, the boyfriend of a current Oregon WBB starter (Maddie Scherr) seems very unhappy with his role on the football team and is likely to transfer. Will she follow? Hope not, but--as the bard said--the path of true love never runs smooth.

I grew up in Connecticut, and it’s one of the reasons why I didn’t go there and went out of state. It does play a large role in a lot of kids decisions and lives. Granted I was not a female basketball player, but I was a scholarship athlete. I’m referring to campus life and the college town experience. I will say though that a lot of these elite athletes live and breathe their sport and are willing to give that up for greatness or championships. It’s not what every elite athlete wants or aspires too, but for many it is. Not every kid craves a national championship no matter how good they are. They want it but it certainly doesn’t play into every kid’s decision.

In a nutshell ...

Not sure why "Amy/mom/whiner is even commenting on the reasons her daughter is leaving. Seems like some sour grapes to me. Both Geno and Saylor gave public announcements about her decision and both were professional and enough. But no.....mom has to take it to another level and find some sad excuses beyond the obvious that her daughter was last in line for playing time. Saylor, unfortunately was plagued with injury and her little girl is warming the bench. There is zero/zilch/nada social life in Storrs even on a great day without covid in the mix. There's fields, cows, dairy farms. She knew that coming in. Most players are more than willing to deal with it to learn from that staff. C'mon...this is the stuff of dreams, and mom's dream just isn't happening. She has no business even revealing this even if it is what Saylor said. And as far as academics...it's just ridiculous. EVERY freshman course of study is boring AF. math 101, social skills, English 101, and on and on. What freshman was ENGAGED in class. Excuses. Does she think her classes are going to be any better anywhere else as a freshman? Nope, core classes. She doesn't even need a 4 year school to be a mortician, which is her dream. She is using these schools for basketball, and MOM can't handle the backseat she has been handed. It really is that simple. I wish her well, but I'm almost embarassed for her, having her mommy go public with her private conversations. Sad all the way around, as I know this was a hard decision for Saylor, and I belive she will stay close to home. Mom needs to take a step back.

Not sure why "Amy/mom/whiner is even commenting on the reasons her daughter is leaving. Seems like some sour grapes to me. Both Geno and Saylor gave public announcements about her decision and both were professional and enough. But no.....mom has to take it to another level and find some sad excuses beyond the obvious that her daughter was last in line for playing time. Saylor, unfortunately was plagued with injury and her little girl is warming the bench. There is zero/zilch/nada social life in Storrs even on a great day without covid in the mix. There's fields, cows, dairy farms. She knew that coming in. Most players are more than willing to deal with it to learn from that staff. C'mon...this is the stuff of dreams, and mom's dream just isn't happening. She has no business even revealing this even if it is what Saylor said. And as far as academics...it's just ridiculous. EVERY freshman course of study is boring AF. math 101, social skills, English 101, and on and on. What freshman was ENGAGED in class. Excuses. Does she think her classes are going to be any better anywhere else as a freshman? Nope, core classes. She doesn't even need a 4 year school to be a mortician, which is her dream. She is using these schools for basketball, and MOM can't handle the backseat she has been handed. It really is that simple. I wish her well, but I'm almost embarassed for her, having her mommy go public with her private conversations. Sad all the way around, as I know this was a hard decision for Saylor, and I belive she will stay close to home. Mom needs to take a step back.

lol we don't know the conversation she and her mom had. Maybe it was ok'd to say that. Maybe she actually thought that. Maybe she didn't want to deal with this, along with the injuries, and maybe her dream school turned out not to be a great fit. This totally could be about playing time but i'm sure she will have her number of suitors and mom's comments won't interrupt that. Seems like she is leaving on good terms so i guess that's all that matters. I won't be surprised to see more transfers from top teams and if there is a better opportunity out there she should take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bballnut1952
If she's certain that campus experience isn't a good fit for her, it sure is better for her to know that after only 11 months instead of dragging it out. Not everyone is satisfied with college being all basketball all the time, and that's okay. It's also a-okay if all basketball all the time IS what you want out of college. I imagine she'll enjoy Nashville if that's where she lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Top players choose UConn for the basketball. If the "social scene" at UConn is so important to basketball players why do they keep coming? Every US player on the current roster was ranked including 6 ranked in the top 5. All of them were McD's AA save one. At least 6 of them (probably more) will go on to the W. The 3 foreign players all play for their national teams.

on edit - UConn's Princeton review ranking of party schools was #20 out of 385 schools.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back