Saudi Arabia

I would bet SA remaining an allies has a lot to do with they are the 2nd highest oil producing country in the world behind Venezuela.

Neither of us know if the documents are a matter of national security, you don't think so and I do but until the government decides the public can see them we'll never know.

You are in the ballpark about the reasoning. It has more to do with the fact that The Saudis also prop up the USD by making sales of oil in dollar terms and reinvest the profits into US Treasuries.

What most people don't know is that if Iran is able to get its infrastructure and refining capabilities upgraded, they would be just about as cheap and plentiful of a supplier of oil as the Saudis... Which poses a serious threat to the USD if Iran sells oil for Euros, Yuan, gold, etc...

Seems to me that for the last 40 plus years, the US has more or less backed three horses in the ME, even when their interests or actions might have deserved a second look: Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.

How's that working out for us ?

Maybe we should back them IF they act in OUR interests. Watch how quickly the antagonism fades if our military might is not guaranteed at every turn.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems to me that for the last 40 plus years, the US has more or less backed three horses in the ME, even when their interests or actions might have deserved a second look: Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.

How's that working out for us ?

Maybe we should back them IF they act in OUR interests. Watch how quickly the antagonism fades if our military might is not guaranteed at every turn.

Useless Ally? Saudi Arabia 'Loses Confidence' in US Ability to Defend It

Riyadh was particularly displeased with Obama making it clear that “Iran is a fact of life” and a “major power,” with which Saudis must “share their neighborhood.” Ben-Meir stressed that the standoff between the two Middle East countries could only be “mitigated by peaceful means.”

The house of Saud is bought and paid for. Looks like we are reneging again...

Last edited:
Why we don't drill for our own oil and become engery independent still pisses most of us off

as with everything its about profit. right now we would have to subsidize the oil companies even more to make it profitable. so that we the people don't pay for it on the front end, but it gets us on the back end.

as with everything its about profit. right now we would have to subsidize the oil companies even more to make it profitable. so that we the people don't pay for it on the front end, but it gets us on the back end.

I thought supply and demand drive drove prices

yeah right now there is still a global glut on oil and it is cheaper to buy from elsewhere than drill/refine our own.

and when the prices spike back up you will see a lot of people also jump back on. Unless someone is driving the prices down, the Sauds, a glut doesn't seem to decrease prices. not really following supply and demand. imo.

Reactions: 1 person

Most of the domestic/Canadian oil doesn't become profitable to drill for until prices get to about $70/barrel.

What good does it do us to have all of this oil if it isn't profitable to drill for?

Now natural gas and coal are other options...

Most of the domestic/Canadian oil doesn't become profitable to drill for until prices get to about $70/barrel.

What good does it do us to have all of this oil if it isn't profitable to drill for?

Now natural gas and coal are other options...

If that is true with oil... Why are we seeing tons of bankruptcies.. As oil collapsed 8-9 months ago

It is amazing to me how little chatter we have about Saudi Arabia basically trying to blackmail the US (and in essence admitting guilt) by threatening to dump $750 billion of treasuries. It is amazing that we don't have any of these McCain/Romney/Cruz voters standing up and pointing out that our country is choosing to protect a foreign country believed to be involved in 9/11 over the rights of the 9/11 victims and their families to know the truth and punish those truly responsible.

This should be headline news and the talk around every water cooler in this country...

It is amazing to me how little chatter we have about Saudi Arabia basically trying to blackmail the US (and in essence admitting guilt) by threatening to dump $750 billion of treasuries. It is amazing that we don't have any of these McCain/Romney/Cruz voters standing up and pointing out that our country is choosing to protect a foreign country believed to be involved in 9/11 over the rights of the 9/11 victims and their families to know the truth and punish those truly responsible.

This should be headline news and the talk around every water cooler in this country...

distraction method from the media. you can never expect real discussion during election years. both parties are neck deep with the Sauds and even Trump probably has billions of investment dollars tied up with them. none are going to stir the pot. Unless a candidate brings it up the news wont discuss it. even if they do it might just get mentioned.

I think the main thing is few people understand, or even attempt, to understand global politics. and no one is willing to be wrong. Invaded the wrong country, hate the wrong people. neither side wants to question their values.

But but but. They're our friends.

distraction method from the media. you can never expect real discussion during election years. both parties are neck deep with the Sauds and even Trump probably has billions of investment dollars tied up with them. none are going to stir the pot. Unless a candidate brings it up the news wont discuss it. even if they do it might just get mentioned.

I think the main thing is few people understand, or even attempt, to understand global politics. and no one is willing to be wrong. Invaded the wrong country, hate the wrong people. neither side wants to question their values.

Unfortunately, we're going to just have to mind the Sauds and the Turks. That's just the way imperialism works. You want a global empire, like the US clearly does (although it won't ever admit it, even to itself), then you're just going to have to stomach some undesirables along the way.

Dogged idealism did no great empire ever make.

Doesn't make us moral. What it makes us though is powerful.

What we should do over the next twenty to thirty years is now clear, however: we should slowly, but smartly, wing ourselves off of Middle Eastern energy and allies, slap the crap out of our Big Oilmen that are keeping our economy from advancing, and invest in our own domestic energy and alternatives.

It's the future anyhow, so we may as well have a leg up on the rest of the world's nations when it comes to building all of their high tech star simulation energy reactors, or other such things that are surely coming our way.

Unfortunately, we're going to just have to mind the Sauds and the Turks. That's just the way imperialism works. You want a global empire, like the US clearly does (although it won't ever admit it, even to itself), then you're just going to have to stomach some undesirables along the way.

Dogged idealism did no great empire ever make.

Doesn't make us moral. What it makes us though is powerful.

What we should do over the next twenty to thirty years is now clear, however: we should slowly, but smartly, wing ourselves off of Middle Eastern energy and allies, slap the crap out of our Big Oilmen that are keeping our economy from advancing, and invest in our own domestic energy and alternatives.

It's the future anyhow, so we may as well have a leg up on the rest of the world's nations when it comes to building all of their high tech star simulation energy reactors, or other such things that are surely coming our way.

I would like to see us start stepping back from some of these guys. No idea if there is a means to kick someone out of NATO so we might be married to Turkey for a while but Saudi Arabia I think we could take some major steps back from. but again too many people are making too much money to ever want to challenge it. and its not just the US making money before Ras or Pacer jump all over this.

The Saudi-Israeli-USSA alliance cares nothing about the Palestinians after all...
“UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Muslim allies of Saudi Arabia piled pressure on U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon over the blacklisting of a Saudi-led coalition for killing children in Yemen, with Riyadh threatening to cut Palestinian aid and funds to other U.N. programs, diplomatic sources said on Tuesday.

Several diplomats cited the U.N. decision not to blacklist Israel last year over child casualties in the Gaza Strip after the Israeli and U.S. governments lobbied Ban hard, saying that it was clear the current U.N. chief was vulnerable to threats.

Don't think SA has nuclear weapons. In the region it's alleged that Iran, Syria and Israel have nukes, but I don't think any of them are "official". I guess the closest declared weapons would be in India and Pakistan?

If SA had nukes Israel would have been a smoking cinder the day they aguired them.

VN Store

Back