Saturday Down South predicts Vols record...

“and even though Tennessee played well against Kentucky the past 2 years, that’s by no means an automatic win.”

53-14-2 overall record...yet we seem to have only played well against them for the past two years. Give me a break.

We’re Kentucky’s daddy. Please stop trying to make them relevant. That’s a W.

I hate the notion that Tennessee shouldn’t schedule strong OOC opponents just because we play Alabama (or UGA/UF, for that matter) every year. I’m not saying that we should exclusively schedule home-and-homes with programs that have won national titles over the past 30 years, but there’s no reason that a school like Tennessee should be scared to play Oklahoma/Nebraska/Oregon/any other major program once a year in tandem with our eight game SEC schedule.

Last edited:
I hate the notion that Tennessee shouldn’t schedule strong OOC opponents just because we play Alabama (or UGA/UF, for that matter) every year. I’m not saying that we should exclusively schedule home-and-homes with programs that have won national titles over the past 30 years, but there’s no reason that a school like Tennessee should be scared to play Oklahoma/Nebraska/Oregon/any other major program once a year in tandem with our right game SEC schedule.
I think it makes sense not to when your team is down and you’re struggling. But the thing is you schedule these games years out from when they happen. So I agree we need to keep scheduling teams like Oklahoma just because of the potential big win that could happen. Plus I think it’s a good way to get ready for Florida, a lot of the time we go into the Florida game Having only played bad teams.

A good while back I said 20-21 was the year the Vols would take a big step forward and win 10ish games. But, I was assuming we'd have adequate/stable qb play by that point.

Unless Bailey is significantly more ready than Peyton was his first season, I can't see us winning more than 8 in the regular season.

I can’t argue with any of the logic by those writers. They make some valid points.

That is why I’m with Murph above...and why I think an 8-win season would be another big step in the right direction (and no need to freak out even at at 7-5). BUT, with some surprisingly positive QB play, 9 to 10 wins could sneak into view.

This upcoming season will be another challenge for Pruitt. He still doesn’t have the roster completely rebuilt yet, and as mentioned above, we still need more from the QB position.

A good while back I said 20-21 was the year the Vols would take a big step forward and win 10ish games. But, I was assuming we'd have adequate/stable qb play by that point.

Unless Bailey is significantly more ready than Peyton was his first season, I can't see us winning more than 8 in the regular season.
I had us doing the same with JG finally coming into his own late in the 2019 season which he kinda... sorta... did. However that was with the assumption we could continue to install during the off season and keep our momentum going which we did not. We will not be able to expect much from our incoming class either, so... I think 8 games (reg) is realistic... possibly 9.

9-3 for me and I believe we play the pants off all four Top 10 Teams. Physical running Game and Physical DL Play lead the way. JG doesn't have to be Elite just be steady and deliver the ball when the play is there. We shall see if year 2 is his coming out Party with Coach C.

I hate the notion that Tennessee shouldn’t schedule strong OOC opponents just because we play Alabama (or UGA/UF, for that matter) every year. I’m not saying that we should exclusively schedule home-and-homes with programs that have won national titles over the past 30 years, but there’s no reason that a school like Tennessee should be scared to play Oklahoma/Nebraska/Oregon/any other major program once a year in tandem with our right game SEC schedule.
I’m still pissed that we canceled those games with UNC a few years back. That was pussy of us.

I agree, we don't have a permanent OOC opponent like most of the other schools in our division, so we should always have at least one attractive OOC game per year for fans. UF and UGA are going to two P5 opponents annually and we should at least have 1.

I think JG should not even be in the conversation. Anyone who watched Maurer or Shrout either one in the games in which they got to play more than ten seconds should be able to recognize that both have far more potential than JG. If either was given the reins and not yanked after one bad play - how many thousands of times now could JG have been yanked by that same standard - he would develop, and we would no longer be hamstringing an entire team's future by the clear, unmistakable limitations of one player. The other viable option is for Bailey to play like Ainge did as a freshman, in which case Maurer and Shrout could play cards with JG on the bench while we make our way to the SECCG.

I think Pruitt is doing mostly a great job but it is several levels beyond maddening to me that he keeps trotting JG out there when Stevie Wonder could see he ain't got it, and ain't gonna ever get it.

Kentucky will ALWAYS BE AN AUTOMATIC W unless we have a team that's literally already folded it in for the season.

Gotta get to 9-3 somehow this season to keep the momentum going. Can't keep losing to the big boys and still sell recruits on a vision. Something has to give and it's gotta give this upcoming year.

I think JG should not even be in the conversation. Anyone who watched Maurer or Shrout either one in the games in which they got to play more than ten seconds should be able to recognize that both have far more potential than JG. If either was given the reins and not yanked after one bad play - how many thousands of times now could JG have been yanked by that same standard - he would develop, and we would no longer be hamstringing an entire team's future by the clear, unmistakable limitations of one player. The other viable option is for Bailey to play like Ainge did as a freshman, in which case Maurer and Shrout could play cards with JG on the bench while we make our way to the SECCG.

I think Pruitt is doing mostly a great job but it is several levels beyond maddening to me that he keeps trotting JG out there when Stevie Wonder could see he ain't got it, and ain't gonna ever get it.
I get where you’re coming from, but I think it’s safe to say that the coaches know things we don’t know. Maurer has some issues greater than football right now, Shrout won’t ever be our guy. JG is our after this season. It’s his season if/until Bailey takes it for the next 3/4 years! GBO.

How come I never see the "we can't win more than 8 with JG" never mention the fact that our running game needs to make a much bigger jump in yards than does our passing game? Our running game has stunk the last 2 seasons and until that changes our offense is not going to improve regardless of who is playing QB.

How come I never see the "we can't win more than 8 with JG" never mention the fact that our running game needs to make a much bigger jump in yards than does our passing game? Our running game has stunk the last 2 seasons and until that changes our offense is not going to improve regardless of who is playing QB.

I believe if people respected our passing game it would drastically help the running game

“A 15th loss to the Gators in 16 seasons would mean a 2-2 start, with an October slate of Missouri, at South Carolina, Alabama, at Arkanas. That’s generously a 2-2 month, which means they’d have to go 4-0 in November, including a win over Georgia, to beat the number.”

That was a weird paragraph. I think that’s an expected 3-1 month, the idea that we’d be lucky to win two of those is ludicrous

there’s no reason that a school like Tennessee should be scared to play Oklahoma/Nebraska/Oregon/any other major program once a year in tandem with our eight game SEC schedule.

We were one of the first schools to play cross regional games with regularity, starting in the late sixties with UCLA.

Anybody, anytime, anywhere.

Until we get consistent play out of our QB, we won't get out of the 6-8 win rut. I was a huge supporter of JG. But I've come to think that he is what he is.....inconsistent. Without a huge step forward by him, or someone solid stepping into his shoes, we stay right where we are.

Reactions: Frozevol and 08Vol

VN Store

Back