Sam Pittman to Arkansas? (Merged)

Chaney gone to Arkansas if this happens. Who do we look at as OC to replace him? I’m assuming Tee would get the promotion

1. Chaney has stated multiple times he loves Knoxville
2. So much, in fact, that he has said he wants to retire here
3. We are paying Chaney more than Arkansas ever could pay him
4. We would raise his salary if needed (won't be)
5. UT is in an upward trajectory, whereas Ark is in the middle of the desert

Reactions: SCRocket
1. Chaney has stated multiple times he loves Knoxville
2. So much, in fact, that he has said he wants to retire here
3. We are paying Chaney more than Arkansas ever could pay him
4. We would raise his salary if needed (won't be)
5. UT is in an upward trajectory, whereas Ark is in the middle of the desert

You realize they were paying Chief 1.5 this year and 1.6 next year ? Dont underestimate the 7 Billionaires that support them. Arkansas has many problems. Money isn't one of them.

Think Pittman will try and build the team the way Bielema did?

Curious to see this too. Guess it depends on who he hires as OC.

It’s definitely an unorthodox hire and the majority of college football fans will laugh at it because they don’t know who he is but he was one of the first names mentioned when we fired Morris, at least by former players. Our players loved him when he was here and if he never left for Georgia I think Bielema eventually works out at Arkansas. Best recruiter and OL coach in college football IMO. Definitely need to give him a lot of money for assistants since he has a lot of SEC connections. We obviously struck out on some guys but seeing what Coach O is doing with LSU and Dabo with Clemson probably thought we could do something similar I guess. All we need is someone to stabilize the program, not win the SEC or anything.

Curious to see this too. Guess it depends on who he hires as OC.

It’s definitely an unorthodox hire and the majority of college football fans will laugh at it because they don’t know who he is but he was one of the first names mentioned when we fired Morris, at least by former players. Our players loved him when he was here and if he never left for Georgia I think Bielema eventually works out at Arkansas. Best recruiter and OL coach in college football IMO. Definitely need to give him a lot of money for assistants since he has a lot of SEC connections. We obviously struck out on some guys but seeing what Coach O is doing with LSU and Dabo with Clemson probably thought we could do something similar I guess. All we need is someone to stabilize the program, not win the SEC or anything.

I think Pittman is a good hire. Nothing is a sure thing but this was a good move. Will he make the shift to HC from OL? That’s a heckuva leap, but Pittman has been around a long time.

Time will tell

Out of the box choice by Arkansas and I wonder if Georgia would go after Friend to replace Pittman?

Yeah me too and then Dabo changed me.
Dabo is one example. Dooley was another.

Other than Dabo and Fleck, it seems rare to find a first time head coach that's never been a coordinator and been successful.

Ed O was a flop at Ole Miss and seemed to learn a lot from it.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Dabo is one example. Dooley was another.

Other than Dabo and Fleck, it seems rare to find a first time head coach that's never been a coordinator and been successful.

Ed O was a flop at Ole Miss and seemed to learn a lot from it.
Urban Meyer was never a coordinator. Neither was Harbaugh.

It does happen, especially in the NFL, and Urban's first gig was far away from a P5 school.

I'm sure there are some other Dabo examples out there but I'd feel much better hiring Clemson's DC as my HC than I would (for example) Bama's linebacker coach or OSU's d line coach

You realize they were paying Chief 1.5 this year and 1.6 next year ? Dont underestimate the 7 Billionaires that support them. Arkansas has many problems. Money isn't one of them.

You realize that any money they spend on an OC we can match right? They aren’t going to pay a coordinator more than the head coach so we have zero to worry bout.

y’all acting like Arkansas would pay him the rate of a head coach while serving as a coordinator.

Reactions: OldandStillaVol

That would be a great point if they didn't become head coaches at smaller schools first then work their way up to better jobs. Urban Meyer had been a head coach at several stops before coming to UF and OSU as did Harbaugh. It is not as if they just decided to hire them one day. They had already a lot of head coaching experience before being hired. It is extremely rare that a major university hires a position coach with no head coaching experience or coordinator experience

You realize that any money they spend on an OC we can match right? They aren’t going to pay a coordinator more than the head coach so we have zero to worry bout.

y’all acting like Arkansas would pay him the rate of a head coach while serving as a coordinator.

This is the easiest job Fulmer has had as AD. Unless there is some bizarre reason why Chaney wants to be in Arkansas or some unknown reason that Pruitt wants to get rid of him, you just call Chaney into your office, tell him how happy you are with him and that you will match any offer that Arkansas (or anyone else) makes to him.

This is the easiest job Fulmer has had as AD. Unless there is some bizarre reason why Chaney wants to be in Arkansas or some unknown reason that Pruitt wants to get rid of him, you just call Chaney into your office, tell him how happy you are with him and that you will match any offer that Arkansas (or anyone else) makes to him.

From most accounts Pittman wants to go with a power run RPO scheme, not as much pro style as it was under Bielema. I think Rich Rod would be a perfect fit but it sounds like we're targeting Colorado's OC who was the OC at Minnesota under Tracy Claeys.

VN Store

Back