Salaries for college athletes

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Is going to happen. Just think this fact should be fully grasped when discussing conference realignment.

I’m not talking NIL. That is just a secondary form of pay. It will certainly have a negative influence on athletic department revenues but it’s not the main issue.

The Supreme Court made it very clear that universities cannot make money on college athletics without “just” compensation for the players.

Colleges rake in well over $11 BILLION in revenues from college athletics. The cost of paying just compensation to athletes is going to be astronomical and schools are not even close to being able to deal with that as things stand now. (Look at USA Today’s database and see how many programs make a profit, let alone anywhere close to affording “just compensation”. The latter of which is 0).

Even w the huge revenue increases that the SEC is poised to gain with the addition of Texas and OU, it will still leave SEC ADs forced to cut costs by tens of millions in order to address. And that’s in the SEC. For many college programs it will be impossible for them to do (and also support non-revenue title IX programs).

The landscape has changed. If you thought colleges treated athletics like a business before, just wait now that they’ve effectively lost their anti-trust protection. It’s hard to imagine because it’s existed this way for so long, but it’s over. Anything that previously seemed unimaginable is not just possible, but likely. Texas, OU and the SEC seem to recognize this. Athletics departments that ignore this will die or be relegated to basically D3 status.

Last edited:
On a side note as it relates to Tennessee, but also many other college towns. I think the university should take cues from pro leagues (since we are going the way of professionalization) and strong arm local governments into supporting the athletics departments. Tennessee athletics brings in massive amounts of revenue to local businesses and taxes to the city of Knoxville. They need to figure out how to strike a mutually beneficial balance.

There will have to be more Supreme Court rulings to put into law what is transpiring here. That means more lawsuits.

Even with the previous ruling, no one really knows what is going on and what they can and can’t do. With this, the NCAA is a lame duck.

How are scholarships paid for? Does that money come from athletic budgets, or is it tax money from the state?

I think that you’re right, it is going to happen at some point if college football is going to continue at the big time level. I wonder when it does come to that, will they be like full time staff where they get paid and get their college paid for in the form of fee waivers, like some staff and faculty have the option to? Or will it be more like a student with a job on campus, where they still have to remain a student and get paid and maybe get scholarships as well. I know some of these notions may seem unlikely, but if it comes to paying then I doubt it’ll be like an hourly job where they get 12-15 an hour, I would think it would be way higher or eventually get to that. It creates many, many questions. It may take schools several years to work out systems without guidance.

Reactions: golfballs
I don’t think it is sustainable to have the major football programs remain in the same organization as the other sports. It is just too much of an outlier and the amounts of money heading the player’s way make it more obvious. Probably some sort of football corporation spun out and owned mostly by the university, with them paying a license to the university for the name. The license revenue can be used to fund the other sports.

It’s basically a pro league now, need to cut the ties so it can act like one without the compromises necessary to maintain the amateur fiction.

Donation for each scholarship actually.
Each scholarship has a family name attached that to it that donates it. You can look them up
Yeah, that's why I can't imagine that scholarships will go anywhere. Legally, I believe most people have given that money with the stipulation they go towards scholarships, or at least that's what the understanding is. It will just get lumped in as part of the total compensation.

I don’t think it is sustainable to have the major football programs remain in the same organization as the other sports. It is just too much of an outlier and the amounts of money heading the player’s way make it more obvious. Probably some sort of football corporation spun out and owned mostly by the university, with them paying a license to the university for the name. The license revenue can be used to fund the other sports.

It’s basically a pro league now, need to cut the ties so it can act like one without the compromises necessary to maintain the amateur fiction.
I've had the same thoughts. From a business perspective (which is what they've been deemed), it's a terrible model in which you're burdened with so many other costs not related to college football itself (education, title iX, etc). Will be interesting to see how it shakes out

The Supreme Court made it very clear that universities cannot make money on college athletics without “just” compensation for the players.

That's not really what they said, the were only pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA in their stance. They never once said the schools can't make money without compensating the players. NCAA's stance had nothing to do with the law, so all the Supreme Court did is point out that they're hypocrites on top of breaking the law.

You went from one extreme to the other extreme in like a month.

Some schools will pay, others won't. Its not a one size fits thing.

The schools need to start coming up with litigation money and eventual liabilities.

That's not really what they said, the were only pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA in their stance. They never once said the schools can't make money without compensating the players. NCAA's stance had nothing to do with the law, so all the Supreme Court did is point out that they're hypocrites on top of breaking the law.

You went from one extreme to the other extreme in like a month.

Some schools will pay, others won't. Its not a one size fits thing.

The schools need to start coming up with litigation money and eventual liabilities.
Kavanaugh’s separate opinion specifically talks about pay. That along w the court opinion on the case they ruled on, it makes it 100% clear on what it will happen. I agree that some colleges will pay and others will not. The anti-trust has to do with the fact that the ncaa held a monopoly. Considering the ncaa is essentially breaking up and these rules will be determined by the conferences, then that will no longer be the case. But in that environment schools that don’t pay will basically become to the leagues that do what FCS is to FBS. Then whatever revenue they had coming in from football will go away. So yeah they might have that option but it’s not going to happen at the major programs. They’ll all pay if they can make it work.

I had my own opinion on the NCAA’s case and thought the court was wrong in some ways, but of course that makes no difference.

Last edited:
Has to be. These greedy a$$holes can't keep all the money as they try to ruin cfb.

Donation for each scholarship actually.
Each scholarship has a family name attached that to it that donates it. You can look them up

Me too. Done with pro sports except for F1 because of the anti-American, woke, leftist garbage, now, CFB is changing so rapidly, money, money, money, just ruining the sport, the changes and traditions are dying. These leagues just don't people like me as fans anymore.

Universities directly paying athletes more than a token sum will never happen. The current interpretation of Title IX will require equal pay for female athletes and there isn't enough money to also pay the women's crew, volleyball, soccer, etc.

Universities directly paying athletes more than a token sum will never happen. The current interpretation of Title IX will require equal pay for female athletes and there isn't enough money to also pay the women's crew, volleyball, soccer, etc.
It will 100% happen. Read the opinion by Justice Kavanaugh. He addressed it specifically saying the challenges caused by Title IX aren’t a reason not to compensate players that bring in tens of millions in revenue. He suggested a collective bargaining model, perhaps like in the NFL. Which allows their players up to nearly 50% of revenue. Tennessee’s athletic department brought in $140M in revenue last year. There are currently ~450 varsity athletes at Tennessee. You can do the math. Even if you cut that in half, or by 75%, that’s still an expense that not a single college is prepared to deal with. Many will be faced w cutting all but revenue generating programs, and the women’s side will be ones that lose the least amount of money. In his opinion he stated there’s no excuse for paying coaches millions of dollars but the athletes get none and when it comes down to it, schools will choose to pay their football coach instead of paying for a men’s golf team. The ones that cannot do this will basically form their own division and become basically like D2 programs.

Coaches and administrators have acknowledged that the landscape has completely changed and the only answer is to do everything they can to position themselves financially to deal with it “or be left out” as Kyle Whittingham said.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back