Saftety Stephen Griffin leaving the program (and Gavin Bryant)

Does that mean he couldnt do anything last year? What did Darrel Taylor do last year? How about Jeff George? You are missing the point.

No I'm not. We were dinged up at safety too last year. Don't remember Griffin doing the filling in...had some good plays. If Barnett had been limited in games and Taylor had logged a similar number of minutes, he'd be a bigger question mark. Not sure why you brought up George...he's a project that needed some physical development. POINT is that we could have used that DEPTH last year and for whatever reason he didn't provide it...next.

Reactions: 5 people
He'll make a great player for some team. He was injured a good while here and safety has been one of our better recruited positions.

Good luck Griffen and may we use your scolly for a top shelf grad transfer CB, WR or DT.

Reactions: 3 people
THIS is huge as he provides UPPER classmen depth......you don't want TRUE freshmen as your depth as we know Butch will make all the excuses if he has to play True freshmen

And possibly an excuse for losing games.

Have to get to 85 scholarship players including the fall recruits. Wait until we lose a quarterback or two.

Fact
By my count we were two over the 85 limit with signees coming into spring practice. The two leaving today should get us to 85 if my math if right

Reactions: 2 people
Fact
By my count we were two over the 85 limit with signees coming into spring practice. The two leaving today should get us to 85 if my math if right

true...

likely be additional transfers after spring...

Murphy a longshot to qualify as well... might be others as several still have work to do

So, they'll be able to sign a full 25 in the 2018 class?

with more leaving yes. Only 16 seniors so if they sign 25 that qualify (likely will sign 25) then they will need 9 underclassman to leave by August of 2018...

this is going to be constant for next several years, signing 25 every year means attrition required every year.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't remember when football wasn't cut throat.

They throw a flag if you gesture a throat slash, but end a career with a cut block, you get voted Player of the Week.

Good luck to these two guys. I'm sure it was fun while it lasted.

Gavin Bryant is also transferring out

Sorry to hear that. I kept looking forward to him getting more reps on the field and hammering somebody. We wish them all the best.

Meanwhile, I think there are also people saying they thought I would have done more in my field. :question:

He tweeted out that people don't know the half of it. Maybe he was encouraged to leave. Just a thought but who knows.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

He tweeted out that people don't know the half of it. Maybe he was encouraged to leave. Just a thought but who knows.

It can't be that hard to figure out. He got cut to make room for the new guys.

It's dirty to "let someone go" at the end of their shift.

Must be somehow entering the NFL supplemental draft or something, cause he's easily a first round talent, one of the best safeties in the country, hands down.

-D4H

He's right. It's just that we have 3-4 future NFL HoFers playing in front of him. UT is loaded like that.

With Abernathy out this spring and Griffin now gone, I fully expect Warrior to seize control of one of the safety spots.....the others can vie for the other safety spot next to him, but Warrior needs to anchor the back end of our defense....we desperately need his athletic ability back there.

I don't know the daily grind of all our safeties. But, I agree that Nigel Warrior played with a strong athleticism and swagger last season as a learning true freshman. It reminded me of players like Demetrius Morley, Carl Pickens, Dwayne Goodrich, Deion Grant and Eric Berry when they stepped foot into the defensive backfield for the first time at UT. Maybe you call it the "it" factor or whatever. But, I think, its just a confidence based on ability. Warrior has it.

To those of you saying this is no big deal, have you forgotten how many injuries we had last year? Depth is always important. Now, this may not be that bad but automatically assuming it wont be is very shortsigthed imo.

I don't think he's still eligible to play last year. So that wouldn't matter. :thumbsup:

Gavin Bryant is also transferring out

Dang it. I had high hopes for him after his FR season. Thought he was impactful on ST. But, he kinda disappeared (with some others) in that dismal LB corps we played with last season. So, I guess if your not rising to the top in that situation, your toast when everyone gets healthy.

I guess that gets us to 85 now then. Right?

VN Store

Back