Safety Razor vs. Cartridge Razors

Been using a safety razor since last last year, and I love it! I have a Wilkinson Sword and King C. Gillett safety razor.

I’ve been using safety razors for about a year now. Love it! I have a Wilkinson Sword and King C. Gillett safety razor. However, I’m still not the greatest with shave soap. I still mostly use Barbasol!

I wouldn't call it a safety razor, but I remember my dad using that type of single blade double side razor growing up. After what I saw sometimes, I don't get the safety part of it. Then again those bic disposable single blades would cut you bad.

Reactions: headhunter15
I'll say my bit for van der Hagen blades. I get good use out of them and they haven't nicked me as much as the others I've used.

I'll say my bit for van der Hagen blades. I get good use out of them and they haven't nicked me as much as the others I've used.

Are they good? I’ve used Wilkinson Sword and King C. Gillette blades and those Gillette’s do well on my neck and when I go against the grain on my upper lip.

I wouldn't call it a safety razor, but I remember my dad using that type of single blade double side razor growing up. After what I saw sometimes, I don't get the safety part of it. Then again those bic disposable single blades would cut you bad.

I do like the single blade going across my face as compared to the 3-5 blade disposable ones I had been using since I learned to shave.

I wanted to like safety razors ... I really did. I like the idea of the classics ... Sinatra, wingtips, a nice shaving brush and safety razor. I bought a nice razor and a multipack of blades ... Astra, Wilkinson, Gillette ... but I could never replicate the smoothness I get from the Gillette Fusion. Granted, I may not have given it enough time, but I get a crazy good shave from a Fusion paired with St James Collection shaving cream by Taylor of Old Bond Street and a badger brush. I shave in the shower and haven’t been able to do better than that.

For me, shaving with a safety razor is like camping … It’s a lot better in my head than it is in practice. Kudos to those of you who can get a good shave with a safety razor, but I’m going to have to stick with my Gillette fusion!

I wanted to like safety razors ... I really did. I like the idea of the classics ... Sinatra, wingtips, a nice shaving brush and safety razor. I bought a nice razor and a multipack of blades ... Astra, Wilkinson, Gillette ... but I could never replicate the smoothness I get from the Gillette Fusion. Granted, I may not have given it enough time, but I get a crazy good shave from a Fusion paired with St James Collection shaving cream by Taylor of Old Bond Street and a badger brush. I shave in the shower and haven’t been able to do better than that.

For me, shaving with a safety razor is like camping … It’s a lot better in my head than it is in practice. Kudos to those of you who can get a good shave with a safety razor, but I’m going to have to stick with my Gillette fusion!

As long as you get a good shave, that’s all that matters!

Reactions: TnWalker
Been using a safety razor for years. The handle will be more expensive up front (around $30 on Amazon I think), but the blades after that will be dirt cheap. It's definitely much more of an art than disposable razors are. My suggestions would be:

1) get a good handle. Butterfly open to secure the blade is common. Make sure it's stainless. If you can apply adjustable pressure to the blade to change the angle it meets the skin, that can be helpful.
2) know you will cut yourself more at first. The blades can be wicked sharp depending on the brand you get. You'll have to teach yourself how to keep tight skin under the blade and not apply probably as much pressure to the blade as you're currently used to. Let the blade do the cutting on its own.
3) Astra blades are cheap and rather sharp off Amazon.
4) learn how to actually shave. One pass will make you presentable, but you'll do better if you think of going in three stages on any area. With the grain, across the grain, and finally against the grain in that order. Reapply cream or lubricant as needed.
5) speaking of cream, look into cremo shave cream. Imo works better than traditional gel or cream, but other people hate it.
6) a good after shave balm like Nivea can help relieve shaving burn that will likely happen early on.
7) done correctly, a safety razor will give you a much closer shave. If you really want to step it up, look into straight razor handles that use the same blades. Those are much harder to master on keeping a good angle to your skin though.

Got some Cremo shave cream for Christmas. How do you get it to be a good cream instead of what comes out of the tube. I even used my shave brush, and it seemed like it couldn’t lather.

Got some Cremo shave cream for Christmas. How do you get it to be a good cream instead of what comes out of the tube. I even used my shave brush, and it seemed like it couldn’t lather.
Hot water. It takes hot water to make it spread and activate. Apply cream, then add in small amounts to it get to spread over the area you want to shave. Don't expect it to lather up like a foam or gel shaving cream. Look for more like an ultra slick surface that is hazy white to apply the razor against. It works real well albeit differently than I initially expected.

Reactions: headhunter15
I make my own pre-shave oil and can't find any cream better than AOS. I always shave in the shower with a fog-free mirror, brush, and Fusion razors.

Hot water. It takes hot water to make it spread and activate. Apply cream, then add in small amounts to it get to spread over the area you want to shave. Don't expect it to lather up like a foam or gel shaving cream. Look for more like an ultra slick surface that is hazy white to apply the razor against. It works real well albeit differently than I initially expected.

Thanks!

Haven't tried them, no.

Highly recommend them! I love Heritage Hill Shave Company. I still use Barbasol occasionally, but there is a massive difference with how your face feels after shaving. A shave soap leaves your face feeling like you haven’t shaved.

What’s your favorite brand? You heard of Heritage Hill Shave Company?
I've heard good things of it but have never tried it.

My "go to" soap is The Art of Shaving Sandalwood. It's as nice of a sandalwood as you can get.

Can anyone recommend a good synthetic shave brush? I have a good one from Heritage Hill Shave Company, but I am wanting a new one.

VN Store

Back