Sad Story about former Vol LB Alvin Toles’ son

wow how in the heck he get all the way down to Key West. That's a far trip only one way down and one way up. Sad because seems like he is beyond saving almost at this point due to his mental illness. Praying for him.

Last edited:
Mental illness is real. I’ve got a childhood friend struggling with very similar issues as Toles. He refuses to get help. It’s so heartbreaking.

Reactions: Smokebern20
wow how in the heck he get all the way down to Key West. That's a far trip only one way down and one way up. Sad because seems like he is beyond saving almost at this point due to his mental illness. Praying for him.
Bi polar disorder is a mean condition. A person suffering from it will make really bad decisions, stop taking their meds, abuse their meds, drink alcohol, which is a no-no for someone with it. I deal with that situation on a daily basis, and no matter what you do or how many promises are made, the afflicted person will continue to make bad decisions, and then when you confront them, they will try to deflect you from the issue. Hard life to live. Sometimes you pretty much are forced to make decisions you don't want to make. Like I said, it's a hard life to live when someone you love is incapable of making good choices.

Bi polar disorder is a mean condition. A person suffering from it will make really bad decisions, stop taking their meds, abuse their meds, drink alcohol, which is a no-no for someone with it. I deal with that situation on a daily basis, and no matter what you do or how many promises are made, the afflicted person will continue to make bad decisions, and then when you confront them, they will try to deflect you from the issue. Hard life to live. Sometimes you pretty much are forced to make decisions you don't want to make. Like I said, it's a hard life to live when someone you love is incapable of making good choices.

So true and well said. I understand exactly where you are coming from because I am in a very similar situation. It's not easy at all when it's someone you love so dearly. I count each good day as a blessing from God and do the best I can on the many bad days. Thoughts and prayers for you fellow Vol brethren.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
Persons with mental illness are not beyond saving, if they have access to appropriate treatment. His family should get him into treatment right away. There are meds and community rehab programs that are very effective at managing behaviors of persons with mental illness.

Praying for him and his family. Tough situation with a loved one or dear friend. Mental illness is nothing anyone chooses for themself or a loved one It happens and nothing much anyone can do especially with the high price medications that seem to temper the illness. Prayers prayers prayers.

Reactions: Tennessee Cowboy
So true and well said. I understand exactly where you are coming from because I am in a very similar situation. It's not easy at all when it's someone you love so dearly. I count each good day as a blessing from God and do the best I can on the many bad days. Thoughts and prayers for you fellow Vol brethren.
And right back at you my friend.

Reactions: Tennessee Cowboy

VN Store

Back