Sad article on Stanley Morgan by Mr West

I met Stanley when he was walking from Married Housing which was located across the highway from the UT campus. I recognized him on the side of the road at the intersection and offered him a ride. He was going to campus to workout. I was a big fan and excited to spend a few minutes with our football star. I was a UT freshman fraternity guy driving a brand new English sports car. I did not realize it at the time, but looking back, there could easily of been resentment on Stanley's part. He was young, married, with no car, and working so hard to get to the NFL. I on the other hand, had some advantages. We had a wonderful ride and Stanley could not have been a nicer gentleman. I have always remembered that. I always loved him as a Vol, but from that point forward always followed him throughout his NFL career. The one game that stands out in my mind was the playoff game that was played in the fog, and tv was so bad back then, that you could barely see the players. Stanley went off in that game and carried his team. The fact that Stanley was such a great wide receiver, who then excelled the next year at tailback is a testimony to his true athleticism! Stanley would go thru a dozen tear away jerseys a game because everyone was reaching for him from behind. A true Vol legend and a player who deserves to be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

I can still hear my dear old dad hand me his binoculars and telling me to watch Number 21 and saying "He's a speed merchant!".

Here, wishing nothing but the best in the future for Stanley in his battle.

This will become more and more common.

Anyone heard Bill Bates speak recently? Hard to imagine he doesn't have degenerative brain issues happening.

Still my favorite sport but I am amazed people let their young kids play it.

I guess if we just follow the one comment that was left we should get rid of all contact or semi-contact sports. You cannot play football without concussion. I don't care what you say, you are going to get your bell rung. You can't box, fight MMA, play hockey, play lacrosse, or even wrestle without concussion. I guess we should just quit.

I too have many of the symptoms that Stanley has. I am 5 years his junior. I played sports through HS. I may have it but if I do, there really isn't anything I can do. I do find that my headaches go away or lessen with enough rest and sleep. I can't sleep 4 hours a night like I used to. Also, weight is an issue, my knees hurt, I can't run anymore......It's called getting old.

I think it's less an issue of getting a concussion than pro sports (maybe colleges as well) knowingly opting for years to not include medical care for current and former players. Specific to concussions given how dangerous and debilitating they are. It's like a chemical (and the coal industry) knowing what harm their product cause, denying it, turning a blind eye to it, and even refusing to care enough to help their employers when they need it the most. It's the lying, dodging, and ducking behavior that's the real problem.

This will become more and more common.

Anyone heard Bill Bates speak recently? Hard to imagine he doesn't have degenerative brain issues happening.

Still my favorite sport but I am amazed people let their young kids play it.

After playing 11 years with two of those being in college, I often wondered if I had kids if I would let them play football. Soccer is becoming a very popular sport these days.

I am not belittling Stanley's condition at all. However, I am still one of the skeptics. Why don't the other major sports have law suits against them? Why are boxing and MMA even allowed without head gear?

Having had a front row seat for the ultimate destruction of a 10-year NFL center at the age of 50...who’s brain was found to be riddled with CTE after his death...I can tell you that it is very real.

I don’t have any idea on the answers, but the condition—and it’s effects—are very real.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I think it's less an issue of getting a concussion than pro sports (maybe colleges as well) knowingly opting for years to not include medical care for current and former players. Specific to concussions given how dangerous and debilitating they are. It's like a chemical (and the coal industry) knowing what harm their product cause, denying it, turning a blind eye to it, and even refusing to care enough to help their employers when they need it the most. It's the lying, dodging, and ducking behavior that's the real problem.
I don't necessarily agree on the analogy but I do believe that long term care should be dialed into contracts and the union should do something about it. The same could be said for Vets, but they have a much higher mountain to climb in terms of quality care.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Having had a front row seat for the ultimate destruction of a 10-year NFL center at the age of 50...who’s brain was found to be riddled with CTE after his death...I can tell you that it is very real.

I don’t have any idea on the answers, but the condition—and it’s effects—are very real.
My question is this: Are brain disorders becoming more and more common in the general populace and the concussions tend to advance it? I can't say that I knew anyone that had dementia and died from it when I was young. All of my family on both sides either died of cancer, heart disease or general old age. My mom passed from this terrible disease and one of my best friends from high school lost a sister in law and his mom is suffering from it also. Several other HS friends have either lost parents or have parents that are suffering from dementia. I just wonder if CTE is a disease caused by concussion or aggravated by them?

My question is this: Are brain disorders becoming more and more common in the general populace and the concussions tend to advance it? I can't say that I knew anyone that had dementia and died from it when I was young. All of my family on both sides either died of cancer, heart disease or general old age. My mom passed from this terrible disease and one of my best friends from high school lost a sister in law and his mom is suffering from it also. Several other HS friends have either lost parents or have parents that are suffering from dementia. I just wonder if CTE is a disease caused by concussion or aggravated by them?

It is a fair question. And I have no idea.

But it seems like a high percentage of these football players show problems starting in their early 40s. Some folks develop dementia that young, but it is very rare.

Apparently, soccer players show a high percentage of CTE problems too, and speculation is that it comes from heading the ball. But, again, who knows. I’m certainly no expert on any of it.

It is a fair question. And I have no idea.

But it seems like a high percentage of these football players show problems starting in their early 40s. Some folks develop dementia that young, but it is very rare.

Apparently, soccer players show a high percentage of CTE problems too, and speculation is that it comes from heading the ball. But, again, who knows. I’m certainly no expert on any of it.
It says volumes that heading a soccer ball can cause CTE. Football, Hockey, Lacrosse, etc. don't stand a long term chance.

It says volumes that heading a soccer ball can cause CTE. Football, Hockey, Lacrosse, etc. don't stand a long term chance.

Maybe getting back to football basics as they were meant to be will help. Was a time wrapping up the ball carrier and taking him down was the proper way to do it. Now, we got players using their bodies as spears and guided missiles, further, being praised as head hunters. Unconditionally forbid this type of activity and maybe we see far fewer CTE incidents.

Is this a real study that 90% of all football players suffer from CTE?

My understanding, and someone correct me if I'm mistaken, is the percentage is strictly from brains which were tested. This wouldn't necessarily be indicative of all players as those tested were men who exhibited lots of symptoms. That would skew the percentages quite a bit.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
After playing 11 years with two of those being in college, I often wondered if I had kids if I would let them play football. Soccer is becoming a very popular sport these days.

My son is 10 and I won't let him play. Risk/reward is not worth it to me. High school football would be as far as he would make it. Given that, I see no reason to let him play.

As a student, I watched Stanley play 1974-1976. He was all that with sprinkles to everyone on campus. When not on the field, he moved around like everyman. He was relaxed and genuine in person.

635810941228719682-UTvsLSU-01.JPG

besides Streater, maybe my favorite Vol. Prayers his way!

Reactions: Remy and Tin Man
That’s a shame. Outstanding player and a real difference maker on the field.

I am not belittling Stanley's condition at all. However, I am still one of the skeptics. Why don't the other major sports have law suits against them? Why are boxing and MMA even allowed without head gear?

I believe the major reason the NFL was sued was they supposedly had information regarding brain injuries and it’s impact on quality of life later and withheld this from the players association during negotiations. $1 billion sounds like a lot of money but it’s getting spent pretty quick. After that’s gone, either NFLPA is going to have to negotiate more money or players are going to be left out.

I believe the major reason the NFL was sued was they supposedly had information regarding brain injuries and it’s impact on quality of life later and withheld this from the players association during negotiations. $1 billion sounds like a lot of money but it’s getting spent pretty quick. After that’s gone, either NFLPA is going to have to negotiate more money or players are going to be left out.
I believe that the NFLPA should negotiate long term care for the players. There are a multitude of issues besides this one that players deal with after retirement.

I believe that the NFLPA should negotiate long term care for the players. There are a multitude of issues besides this one that players deal with after retirement.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the NFL pension pretty solid, especially for a 10+ year player like SM? Of course, the sport creates lasting health issues, and one would think that the NFLPA would negotiate that into the deal.

What will be interesting is when the lawsuits start flying against the colleges from players who didn’t make the next level.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the NFL pension pretty solid, especially for a 10+ year player like SM? Of course, the sport creates lasting health issues, and one would think that the NFLPA would negotiate that into the deal.

What will be interesting is when the lawsuits start flying against the colleges from players who didn’t make the next level.
I think you are right on pension, I was just drawing a supposition off of SM's suit being denied. If he is showing symptoms, how was he denied I wonder?

The issue for retired players is health care. Most need multiple knee replacements and other surgeries even without head trauma. Many cant afford the cost, even with ins these days with high deductibles and medications being so expensive. You’d be surprised how many former NFL players are financially broke these days.

If fists were harder than the head the human race would’ve died out a long time ago

Along with the sources of my screen name, Stanley Morgan was one of my favorite players when I was growing up. I hope he and his family can find peace.

I can still hear John Ward calling out Stanley Morgan’s name..... from Easley S.C.
give him six, touch down Tennessee..... cold chills!
Oh the memories of Tennessee football!

Soccer may be more dangerous. I have a niece who has gone through horrible issues over concussions. Will never play soccer again.

VN Store

Back