Sad article on Stanley Morgan by Mr West

Very sad. I hope he and his family don’t suffer any much longer.

I guess if we just follow the one comment that was left we should get rid of all contact or semi-contact sports. You cannot play football without concussion. I don't care what you say, you are going to get your bell rung. You can't box, fight MMA, play hockey, play lacrosse, or even wrestle without concussion. I guess we should just quit.

I too have many of the symptoms that Stanley has. I am 5 years his junior. I played sports through HS. I may have it but if I do, there really isn't anything I can do. I do find that my headaches go away or lessen with enough rest and sleep. I can't sleep 4 hours a night like I used to. Also, weight is an issue, my knees hurt, I can't run anymore......It's called getting old.

I was very young when he was playing. But, I always enjoy seeing the videos of his days wearing the orange!

Reactions: malinoisvol
I remember Stanley Morgan's first game as a Vol in 1973 against TCU (I was there as a 12 year old youth). He ran wild that day and he would go on to have a great career worthy of the greats to ever play at Tennessee.
What i remember most abour Stanley was his TD run against Alabama when he broke through the line ran pas the LBs and ran over a
safety/CB for a long TD when the game was on the line. He was as good as any RB/WR I remember at Tennessee and I whave watched Tennessee games since 1945. I wish him peace and comfort for many years.

I am not belittling Stanley's condition at all. However, I am still one of the skeptics. Why don't the other major sports have law suits against them? Why are boxing and MMA even allowed without head gear?
I totally agree with you. In the grand scheme of things, anybody can see that football, boxing, MMA, etc are high-risk sports that can lead to potentially severe consequences. If you play, you choose to take those risks, and you know going in of possible consequences.

Reactions: feathersax
I totally agree with you. In the grand scheme of things, anybody can see that football, boxing, MMA, etc are high-risk sports that can lead to potentially severe consequences. If you play, you choose to take those risks, and you know going in of possible consequences.
You are talking about something completely different from what 82_VOL_83 is talking about. He seems to be talking about proximate causation between the sport activity and injury. You are talking about assumption of the risk.

You are talking about something completely different from what 82_VOL_83 is talking about. He seems to be talking about proximate causation between the sport activity and injury. You are talking about assumption of the risk.
He "seems" to be talking about, but you tell me I'm talking about something completely different? Maybe you should understand what you're talking about before making that statement. But, you are pretty hilarious. Made me laugh.

What i remember most abour Stanley was his TD run against Alabama when he broke through the line ran pas the LBs and ran over a
safety/CB for a long TD when the game was on the line. He was as good as any RB/WR I remember at Tennessee and I whave watched Tennessee games since 1945. I wish him peace and comfort for many years.

1974. After Stanley's long run, the score was 7-6. It didn't last, unfortunately. Alabama would win 28-6.
635485222074600274-74UTvsAlabama-20.JPG

He "seems" to be talking about, but you tell me I'm talking about something completely different? Maybe you should understand what you're talking about before making that statement. But, you are pretty hilarious. Made me laugh.
No offense intended. Just trying to help. Hope it made your day.

No offense intended. Just trying to help. Hope it made your day.
In the end, we're talking about the possibility here of catastrophic injuries, and the assumption that football caused said injuries. In life, we make choices, sometimes not wisely, that we regret or want to blame others for. We are all responsible for our own behaviors. I assume you're an attorney, and they can have a way of bending and twisting words.

The NFL setting aside $1 billion dollars towards a class action suite speaks volumes. There is a problem with getting your 'bell rung'. But it's been a process. Now, every student athlete at the high school level has to have a concussion base line via testing before they can participate in any high school sport. After any event, a doctor has to clear the kid for play. Too many events and they don't get to play. Not having this base line didn't make us tougher in the old days. Quite the contrary.

The NFL setting aside $1 billion dollars towards a class action suite speaks volumes. There is a problem with getting your 'bell rung'. But it's been a process. Now, every student athlete at the high school level has to have a concussion base line via testing before they can participate in any high school sport. After any event, a doctor has to clear the kid for play. Too many events and they don't get to play. Not having this base line didn't make us tougher in the old days. Quite the contrary.
I don't disagree. I actually made two opines and maybe the first wasn't as clear. Why is it that only the NFL is being sued? Why not other sports that have just as many concussions or maybe even more? Is it that the NFL as an organization has money that the other sports don't have? And two, how does one separate the symptoms that Stanley is having from simple old age? I know my memory sucks and it is getting progressively worse. About the only thing that I can do to alleviate the headaches and mental blurriness is get plenty of sleep. That has happened in the last two or three years. Is this a real study that 90% of all football players suffer from CTE? Is CTE just a symptom of old age and is exacerbated by concussion?

In the end, we're talking about the possibility here of catastrophic injuries, and the assumption that football caused said injuries. In life, we make choices, sometimes not wisely, that we regret or want to blame others for. We are all responsible for our own behaviors. I assume you're an attorney, and they can have a way of bending and twisting words.
For the record, I take no offense. Like I said, I'm just tryin' to help.

Last edited:
How do you sue boxing?

Great question. How do you sue football? I do not know the answer to either.

Would a boxer be able to sue Ali for knocking him out? Would a football player be able to sue Al Wilson for ringing his bell? Do you sue the organization or do you sue the individual? Most of the time the individual does not have any money so there is no point in suing. It is honestly a big mess and IMO there is not a right or wrong answer. Both sides make a legit argument that they are correct....

Early today I read in another thread folks were talking about the fastest Vol ever. Stanley popped in my head immediately. I think he was the fastest Vol ever. When he broke loose John Ward's call was never even as dramatic as usual because he had to speed it up!

I don't disagree. I actually made two opines and maybe the first wasn't as clear. Why is it that only the NFL is being sued? Why not other sports that have just as many concussions or maybe even more? Is it that the NFL as an organization has money that the other sports don't have? And two, how does one separate the symptoms that Stanley is having from simple old age? I know my memory sucks and it is getting progressively worse. About the only thing that I can do to alleviate the headaches and mental blurriness is get plenty of sleep. That has happened in the last two or three years. Is this a real study that 90% of all football players suffer from CTE? Is CTE just a symptom of old age and is exacerbated by concussion?

There is no governing body in boxing worth multiple billions of dollars. MMA is protected due to risk assumption/no fighters union. Hockey still exists in the tough guy mode. The NFL also knew of the situation years ago, ignored and hid it.

Great question. How do you sue football? I do not know the answer to either.

Would a boxer be able to sue Ali for knocking him out? Would a football player be able to sue Al Wilson for ringing his bell? Do you sue the organization or do you sue the individual? Most of the time the individual does not have any money so there is no point in suing. It is honestly a big mess and IMO there is not a right or wrong answer. Both sides make a legit argument that they are correct....
In football, you could sue the NFL. There is no pro boxing league or even a sanctioning body beyond each states commission.

VN Store

Back