Saban Lashes Out at A&M - Bama is a NIL Dinosaur

"It’s clear that Saban is concerned about NIL deals. And it’s all because these NIL deals level the playing field in recruiting — something that’s ultimately a good thing for college football."

Um...no...no it won't. Unless...Vanderbilt galvanizes/unleashes it's metric F-ton of millionaires. I mean my freshman clash was the highest in wealth/capita in the COUNTRY. Finding a Vandy grad without a couple million in assets would probably be like finding a Unicorn. I'm at a spa right now and there are 3 other Vanderbilt grads here and this place ain't cheap. Furthermore, if Vandy concentrated their NILs in one sport....say like basketball...the final four every year could be Vandy/Stanford/Duke and the new sports powerhouse and newest Big Ten member Harvard. I mean no offense but Harvard might be able to buy BAMA's whole University with their endowment fund.

Since this ain't likely, I sincerely doubt there will a whole lot of leveling of the playing field. More imbalance and fewer elite teams is the most likely. Oh and don't think USC [cal not s.c.] grads aren't Rich as F. Seriously, TN's advantage was organizing so quickly but without regulation we will fall back to the middle of the pack.

Something about 4 Vandy guys together in a shower idk TLDR

Maybe the NIL will put Nick into retirement soon. I'll give you that he can coach, but when you are consistently No. 1 in recruiting pre NIL I think it's very safe to say Nick was paying players, and able to get away with it. Now that it is legal for all with NIL and he may not have No. 1 classes he's upset...poor Lil Nicky!

I have learned watching Saban over the yrs if there was an NCAA rule he was lobbying against it was because it was hurting his team and rather than adjust he would just get the rule changed. Glad to see this is causing him problems and hopefully he can't get this changed. But wouldn't bet against him.
Saban will whine about pretty much anything, even while he's on top of the world. In 2012, he publicly whined about how so many of Alabama's opponents had scheduled their bye the week before playing Alabama. They were on their way to winning a 3rd National Championship in 4 seasons at the time.

"It’s clear that Saban is concerned about NIL deals. And it’s all because these NIL deals level the playing field in recruiting — something that’s ultimately a good thing for college football."

Um...no...no it won't. Unless...Vanderbilt galvanizes/unleashes it's metric F-ton of millionaires. I mean my freshman clash was the highest in wealth/capita in the COUNTRY. Finding a Vandy grad without a couple million in assets would probably be like finding a Unicorn. I'm at a spa right now and there are 3 other Vanderbilt grads here and this place ain't cheap. Furthermore, if Vandy concentrated their NILs in one sport....say like basketball...the final four every year could be Vandy/Stanford/Duke and the new sports powerhouse and newest Big Ten member Harvard. I mean no offense but Harvard might be able to buy BAMA's whole University with their endowment fund.

Since this ain't likely, I sincerely doubt there will a whole lot of leveling of the playing field. More imbalance and fewer elite teams is the most likely. Oh and don't think USC [cal not s.c.] grads aren't Rich as F. Seriously, TN's advantage was organizing so quickly but without regulation we will fall back to the middle of the pack.

Endowments arent the same as a slush fund...they cant be used for whatever purpose the university decides. Each endownment is earmarked for a specific cause/program/project etc.

The operative word in the current state of the NIL is collective. While Vandy alum are on average are in a different tax bracket, Tennessee's rabid and sizeable fanbase will most likely insure more money flows into the Big Orange collectives than all the Harvard/Vandy/Stanfords of the college landscape.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Monty Python and others,Sabin is just playing all of you with his talking.You guys say he is a dinosaur,a dinosaur fox.Someone showed that Bama is ranked 34 in recruiting now.Look at the last several years at this time,Bama was about the same.Then look at the season end,Bama is one or two ranked.it's way too early to call this horse race.This is just off season make headlines for writers who fall all over themselves to get a big headline only to find out they have been had.Still three months plus till season and two plus til fall camp.You need to watch flowers grow and leave soap operas alone.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Endowments arent the same as a slush fund...they cant be used for whatever purpose the university decides. Each endownment is earmarked for a specific cause/program/project etc.

The operative word in the current state of the NIL is collective. While Vandy alum are on average are in a different tax bracket, Tennessee's rabid and sizeable fanbase will most likely insure more money flows into the Big Orange collectives than all the Harvard/Vandy/Stanfords of the college landscape.

Obviously, concerning the endowment fund. That was more tongue-in-cheek. I agree with you concerning the fanbases, which is why it's unlikely. USC, however, is gonna get very good, very quickly.

Monty Python and others,Sabin is just playing all of you with his talking.You guys say he is a dinosaur,a dinosaur fox.Someone showed that Bama is ranked 34 in recruiting now.Look at the last several years at this time,Bama was about the same.Then look at the season end,Bama is one or two ranked.it's way too early to call this horse race.This is just off season make headlines for writers who fall all over themselves to get a big headline only to find out they have been had.Still three months plus till season and two plus til fall camp.You need to watch flowers grow and leave soap operas alone.
I hear what you're saying, and I'm sure that Alabama will finish with another top 2 or 3 class for the 2023 cycle, but I think Saban is genuinely perturbed. They normally do have more than 3 commitments going into Memorial Day weekend. Elite recruits are signaling an intention to wait longer into the cycle before announcing a commitment. Saban evidently thinks that is attributable to the Benjamins being thrown around over NIL, and he has a chapped butt over it.

Reactions: feathersax

All monies being fungible, a donation to a specific program means little. My family wanted to give a sizable donation to a university Library system, but with on caveat, the regular budget could not be cut. The university refused and they got nothing.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I hear what you're saying, and I'm sure that Alabama will finish with another top 2 or 3 class for the 2023 cycle, but I think Saban is genuinely perturbed. They normally do have more than 3 commitments going into Memorial Day weekend. Elite recruits are signaling an intention to wait longer into the cycle before announcing a commitment. Saban evidently thinks that is attributable to the Benjamins being thrown around over NIL, and he has a chapped butt over it.

Yup, the slaves are leaving the plantation and the Massa don't like it one bit.

They preferred it when they could pay under the table and Sankey/NCAA turned a blind eye. You know, for fairness' sake and all.

The last time Saban competed against coaches who could all buy their players, he became a mediocre coach. Left NFL Big boy football across the entire league and went back to college. Where he could get 10, 1st round picks in essence. He is a coach that is always looking for an edge I don't buy his BS, he couldn't get an edge in NFL and tucked tail and left. I admire the way he has figured out how to navigate the college game coaching for blue blood but IMO that makes him a great organization Czar.

Reactions: OffTackleVol

VN Store

Back