Saban Lashes Out at A&M - Bama is a NIL Dinosaur

MontyPython

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Good news for us that Saban's not adjusting to the new NIL landscape. Old dogs and new tricks, I guess.

Per USA Today:

"...Saban said Alabama didn't offer NIL deals to its recruits.

"We were second in recruiting last year," he said. "A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness. We didn’t buy one player. But I don’t know if we’re going to be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it."

rivals2.png

rivals3.png

Good news for us that Saban's not adjusting to the new NIL landscape. Old dogs and new tricks, I guess.

Per USA Today:

"...Saban said Alabama didn't offer NIL deals to its recruits.

"We were second in recruiting last year," he said. "A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness. We didn’t buy one player. But I don’t know if we’re going to be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it."

View attachment 456387

View attachment 456388

He’s just shoveling shat.

He did everything but drool when Young got all his money. Now that everyone is doing there’s a problem? Fk off Saban.

Like I said before it’s only legal if they (Bama and Uga) are the only ones doing it.

Those Alabama folks would rather cheat to win than to win above board.
Pruitt had us cheating as well. I guess you could say we cheated to lose. I know.. I know.. everybody was doing it. Bama made us look like amateurs at it. And when I say Bama, add Pruitt to that. Pruitt was always a Bama man. No orange in his veins and there never would have been.

Bama hasn't gone all-in on NIL yet. They are basically lobbying for federal legislation, if it doesn't happen, they will eventually. They are hesitant to upset their winning apple cart whereas us, USC, Miami, etc. have less to lose in that regard. I disagree with retroactive regulation but there needs to be rules going forward. The wild west will not end well for anyone.

Pruitt had us cheating as well. I guess you could say we cheated to lose. I know.. I know.. everybody was doing it. Bama made us look like amateurs at it. And when I say Bama, add Pruitt to that. Pruitt was always a Bama man. No orange in his veins and there never would have been.

Players getting under the table benefits has been wide spread for a while. I was listening to sports radio show and a former baseball play in the SEC told how he was paid $60k just to make an official visit to a school that they knew he wouldn’t end up at just to generate some excitement for the program he went to visit. It was 20 years ago that happened.

I’m glad with NIL money players don’t have to get dirty with the cheating. It’s really a bad look for to have systematic cheating going on so widespread when it comes to young guys.

They are kids until they cross a line then they are considered adults because they are old enough to vote and get drafted by the military and fight for my freedom, but 18 year olds shouldn’t be exposed to such unscrupulous actions as if that’s how things are done when you are an adult.

There’s always going be loop holes that are exploited, but in their face cheating might be a thing of the past.

Now how can we fix the ethics of flopping?

Look, I'm not going to pretend like I'm not happy that NIL is helping CJH rebuild our roster much, MUCH faster than it would've been otherwise. Having said that, I agree with everything Saban is saying here. This really isn't what NIL was supposed to be. Saban described the original intent of NIL perfectly. It's amazing just how quickly it's been perverted.

Ole Boogie at Talkin’ VAWLS made a very interesting assertion: that ‘Bama can’t compete with Tennessee in terms of raising NIL money. And think about it; you’re talking B’ham, Montgomery, and Mobile vs Nash, Knox, Memphis, and Chatty.

True, and Hunstville is more orange than crimson.

Ole Boogie at Talkin’ VAWLS made a very interesting assertion: that ‘Bama can’t compete with Tennessee in terms of raising NIL money. And think about it; you’re talking B’ham, Montgomery, and Mobile vs Nash, Knox, Memphis, and Chatty.

I have a hard time believing that. I'm sure Alabama has just as many big money boosters as we do. They just haven't gotten organized with it yet and just like every other major Power 5 program, they'll have their own collective by this time next year, doing exactly what we're doing. Then it will just come back down to what it always comes down to. Which programs are winning championships and putting players in the league.
True, and Hunstville is more orange than crimson.

I REALLY have a hard time believing that!

Reactions: CigarDawg
This the same Saban that said he is all for parity in college football and that NIL would ruin that? Same dude that has owned college football for a decade and a half? Same guy that has player posing with new dodge chargers? Yeah, he may be the best to ever coach at the collegiate level, but he’s also the biggest hypocrite.

I have a hard time believing that. I'm sure Alabama has just as many big money boosters as we do. They just haven't gotten organized with it yet. They'll have their own collective by this time next year, doing exactly what we're doing.

I REALLY have a hard time believing that!

It may not be so much currently, but back in the day, Redstone Arsenal was full of UT graduates, and Huntsville used to have a HUGE Big Orange Alumni Association. I had a great uncle that lived in Hunstville and was on Von Braun's staff. He was a 1939 UT graduate and president of the Huntsville UT Alumni Association for awhile. Lots of Big Orange in Hunstville.........

Old age rage…Saban is slipping. I give him 3 more years of coaching. Would love to beat him before the calls it quits.

I like Boogie but I think he's connecting dots that aren't there right now. We are committed to NIL at the moment, they aren't. Once they commit there will be more give and take. They just fear the instability and disruption to their winning culture which may be caused by paying kids top dollar fresh out of high school. Once (if) it becomes clear wild west NIL isn't going away anytime soon they'll go all-in and we'll have a fight on our hands. We're all going to be running second to Texas or whoever convinces an Elon Musk type to throw in behind them.

Nick Saban is shooting himself in the foot....
Best thing we can do is help him reload the gun.
Recruits are going to see these rants and move on from Alabama.
The more he speaks out against this the better we are.
He can't do anything about it and the NCAA does not have the answer either.

Sit back get your Popcorn ready and Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back