Saban contract extension

Does Nick Saban stay at Alabama through 2028?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
I don't think they fall off until they try and replace the guy who replaces Saban.

The guy who replaces Saban is going to be able to coast on momentum for a considerable period of time because Alabama has generated more momentum than any program probably in CFB history. Not only will he inherit a completed loaded and deep roster, but the brand equity Saban has built up will persist for years and years, probably to a greater extent than Bear Bryant's did.

The trap Alabama could fall into is that the guy who replaces Saban is good, not great, and they cut him loose after about 3 years because he doesn't win a title. The momentum starts to slow, they aren't able to replace him with a top-tier candidate, and they start to slip after that.
I think you’ll notice the difference when Bama will drop that game they’re not supposed to more and more regularly. It will be slow, maybe finally a loss to UGA or a real unexpected loss to a Miss State and then the next thing you know it will be every season . I know thats pretty simplistic, but I remember USC starting to lose to an Oregon State or a Stanford and then the wheels went off eventually.

I think you’ll notice the difference when Bama will drop that game they’re not supposed to more and more regularly. It will be slow, maybe finally a loss to UGA or a real unexpected loss to a Miss State and then the next thing you know it will be every season . I know thats pretty simplistic, but I remember USC starting to lose to an Oregon State or a Stanford and then the wheels went off eventually.
I agree. It isn't like Alabama plays an easy schedule. If Alabama loses just 1 or 2 regular season games a year, that loss is likely to be to LSU, Auburn, or a good East opponent. If that persists for just a couple of seasons (especially if they are losing to Auburn), that coach will be run out of town on a rail.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Not only does Bama always have the more talented roster, they get a mulligan as well. Even if they drop one game they will get in. They have won without winning the conference even.

Basically Bama needs to lose 2, and they are other teams that can go undefeated and not even make it in the playoffs. The system is what it is. The rich get richer and rules are stacked in their favor. That is why I still contend this cycle will not stop like in years past. Until the rules are changed this is what we get.

Not only does Bama always have the more talented roster, they get a mulligan as well. Even if they drop one game they will get in. They have won without winning the conference even.

Basically Bama needs to lose 2, and they are other teams that can go undefeated and not even make it in the playoffs. The system is what it is. The rich get richer and rules are stacked in their favor. That is why I still contend this cycle will not stop like in years past. Until the rules are changed this is what we get.

What are you basing this on, since it hasn't actually happened?

Doesn't mean he will stay that long but he might. He doesn't seem to have another hobby like fishing or something and his wife has already said she doesn't want him hanging around the house all day driving her crazy. And his salary goes up every yr he stays. I can tell you all the Bammer fans will have a super meltdown the day he announces his retirement. Can't wait to see that.

Reactions: ArdentVol
So Saban will be at Bama for 7 more years. There is a realistic shot that he wins 5-6 NCs in that time span. That’s absolutely unreal.

All hopes of us beating Bama in the near future just evaporated. This type of success likely will never be duplicated.
We aren’t beating them even after he leaves because they will have a competent replacement and Saban will leave them in great shape and we will no doubt still be a dumpster fire burning bright and high

Here’s a fun fact (or kick in the nuts to start your day) that just occurred to me: This season Saban will be coaching against the 6th different University of Tennessee HFC since he arrived in 2007 …If he remains through the end of his contract it very well could be 7. Obviously hoping Heupel is still here when Saban retire and really hope Heupel can win one and be hoisted up the players shoulders when he shakes Saban’s hand in 2028.
Yea seriously doubt that happens lol but one can dream

I wish we didn't have the last string of 3 coaches. We are beat down. The thing is though, look at 'ol Gus Malzan. He had a way of beating Saban, with inferior talent, that actually brought me joy. He CAN be beaten. Just not by us for a long while.
We should’ve hired Freeze

People think Saban will suddenly morph into Joe Pa and Bowden in his advancing coaching years are wrong he’s gonna win two or three more before that contract extension ends in 2028. He may pass Phil Jackson in championship rings that’s crazy.

What are you basing this on, since it hasn't actually happened?

2017 (UCF went undefeated), 2015, 2012, 2011 (got a second chance at LSU). In 2011, LSU even won more games.

In fact, the last 6 national champions over the past decade with one loss are Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Imagine that?! Almost every other teams absolutely has to go undefeated and even then, it isn’t good enough sometimes. Hell Ohio State got in the playoffs last year after playing half a season.

I realize you can argue specifics of each year in a vacuum, but it is clear that Bama - along with a handful of other schools, absolutely can get a mulligan game and are given priority in the right circumstances.

2017 (UCF went undefeated), 2015, 2012, 2011 (got a second chance at LSU). In 2011, LSU even won more games.

In fact, the last 6 national champions over the past decade with one loss are Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Imagine that?! Almost every other teams absolutely has to go undefeated and even then, it isn’t good enough sometimes. Hell Ohio State got in the playoffs last year after playing half a season.

I realize you can argue specifics of each year in a vacuum, but it is clear that Bama - along with a handful of other schools, absolutely can get a mulligan game and are given priority in the right circumstances.
Well, that is the only way to do it, is it not?

In each of those seasons, who should have been in the CFP/BCSNCG instead of Alabama?

UCF: The G5 aren't getting in unless they go absolutely bonkers with their scheduling. Until they do (and it won't happen any time soon), they are ineligible for the playoff. But, for the sake of argument, why is it a problem that 1 loss Alabama got in over unbeaten UCF, but not any of the other three 1 loss teams that made it in? Or, for that matter, what about any of the 12-1, 11-2, 10-2, or 10-3 teams that were all ranked above UCF in the final CFP poll (and in the AP and Coaches polls as well)? As always seems to be the case with your positions, Bama seems to be the issue at the expense of all else.

As for 2015, 2012, and 2011, they doesn't fit your argument ("Basically Bama needs to lose 2, and they are other teams that can go undefeated and not even make it in the playoffs.") Which undefeated teams didn't make the playoff (or BCSNCG) that Bama jumped over? And as for 2011 LSU, that's irrelevant to your argument since Bama did not get in at their expense. Bama got in over an Okie Lite team with the same record.

In fact, the last 6 national champions over the past decade with one loss are Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. Imagine that?! Almost every other teams absolutely has to go undefeated and even then, it isn’t good enough sometimes.

Which undefeated teams were available to be selected in any of those years?

2011 Alabama - Beat lone unbeaten LSU in BCSCNG
2012 Alabama - Beat lone unbeaten Notre Dame in BCSNCG
2014 Ohio St - (edit) FSU was the lone unbeaten. They lost to 1 loss Oregon in CFP semifinal
2015 Alabama - Beat lone unbeaten Clemson in CFPNCG
2016 Clemson - Beat lone unbeaten Alabama in CFPNCG
2017 Alabama - no unbeaten teams

Hell Ohio State got in the playoffs last year after playing half a season.

Who should have been in over tOSU? Texas A&M? That's the only 1 loss team that played close to a full schedule, and they lost to Alabama by the exact same score as tOSU.

Apparently "the right circumstances" means "there weren't 4 undefeated teams in a given year."

Last edited:
Well, that is the only way to do it, is it not?

Sure, if you are a Bama, OSU, and Clemson fan. For everyone else the totality is the point I’m arguing when there are other undefeated teams and conference champions being left out on a yearly basis.

Which undefeated teams were available to be selected in any of those years?

2014 Ohio St - no unbeaten teams
2015 Alabama - Beat lone unbeaten Clemson in CFPNCG
2016 Clemson - Beat lone unbeaten Alabama in CFPNCG
2017 Alabama - no unbeaten teams

This is the heart of my point. The question is not how many other undefeated teams could have made it in. My question is how many other 1-loss teams didn’t get the opportunity in each of those years?

The only time Bama hasn’t made the playoffs is when they have lost more than one game. How many other teams can say that?

Edit: 2017-2018 they didn’t

This is the heart of my point. The question is not how many other undefeated teams could have made it in. My question is how many other 1-loss teams didn’t get the opportunity in each of those years?

2014 - Baylor and TCU were the only 1 loss teams. Because this was before the Big XII started playing a title game, they had fewer wins than the teams that got in over them.
2015 - 1 loss Michigan St handed tOSU and Iowa their only losses and made the CFP. There were no other 1 loss teams.
2016 - There were no 1 loss teams outside of the CFP
2017 - Wisconsin was the only 1 loss team outside of the CFP. They finished ranked #6 behind 2 loss Big 10 champ tOSU.

The only time Bama hasn’t made the playoffs is when they have lost more than one game. How many other teams can say that?

Literally every SEC program can say the same except for A&M last year. Again, would you like to make an argument for A&M being in over any of the four teams that made it in?

2014 - Baylor and TCU were the only 1 loss teams. Because this was before the Big XII started playing a title game, they had fewer wins than the teams that got in over them.
2015 - 1 loss Michigan St handed tOSU and Iowa their only losses and made the CFP. There were no other 1 loss teams.
2016 - There were no 1 loss teams outside of the CFP
2017 - Wisconsin was the only 1 loss team outside of the CFP. They finished ranked #6 behind 2 loss Big 10

There were more than that. Your 2015 immediately jumps out:

2015-2016: Iowa,OSU, G5: Houston
2016-2017: G5: Western Michigan
2017-2018: Wisconsin, G5: UCF undefeated
2018-2019: OSU, G5: UCF undefeated
2020-2021: TAM, Indiana, USC

Again, I don't care about G5 teams as they aren't making the playoff barring unbelievable scheduling. The other teams I already mentioned.

I stopped at 2017 because that's all you listed. But let's dive into these years:

2018 - Who should tOSU have been in over? Only one CFP participant had a loss. Should tOSU have been in over Oklahoma?
2020 - I've asked you about A&M multiple times, and you haven't responded. Who should they have been in over? I'll ask the same of USC and Indiana. I imagine you won't make any argument for them as you dismissed tOSU's truncated schedule.

And I notice that you glossed over my answer to this question:

Was it inconvenient to realize that the answer is "every single SEC team except for A&M?"

Last edited:

You really think Western Michigan should have been in over Clemson, Washington, Ohio St, Penn St, and Oklahoma that year? Really? I include Penn St and Oklahoma because they were 2-loss P5 conference champs that year who also didn't make it.

You really think Western Michigan should have been in over Clemson, Washington, Ohio St, Penn St, and Oklahoma that year? Really? I include Penn St and Oklahoma because they were 2-loss P5 conference champs that year who also didn't make it.

No, I’m saying there are one loss teams that don’t get the opportunity. OSU, meanwhile, gets in while playing half a season.

VN Store

Back