Saban contract extension

Does Nick Saban stay at Alabama through 2028?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters
If he stays healthy, then yes I think he’ll absolutely coach until 77, and probably longer.

He is and will be a legend. I don't see him being surpassed until the game evolves like it did from the era of Neyland, Rockne, etc..

In all seriousness is his job really that stressful?
Not saying he’s not a great coach but when’s the last time he had to get more with less?
The last season that he took the field with a team less talented than some of the opponents he played against was probably 2008. I'd say it was incredibly stressful early on when he was initially building the machine, yes. However over the last 5 years or so, his recruiting is on autopilot and it is easier to fill assistant coach vacancies because everybody wants to come work there.

But that's the whole point...the entire reason you recruit like he does is so you don't have to do more with less. It is incredibly difficult, almost impossible, to consistently win at a high level with less talent than your opponents. And when your success is as embedded as Saban's is, he basically doesn't even have to recruit anymore. He'd never admit that because it would be totally against his ethos, but all the top players for the last several years simply just want to come to Alabama without him even having to court them. He just picks and chooses the ones he wants.

So Saban will be at Bama for 7 more years. There is a realistic shot that he wins 5-6 NCs in that time span. That’s absolutely unreal.

All hopes of us beating Bama in the near future just evaporated. This type of success likely will never be duplicated.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
So Saban will be at Bama for 7 more years. There is a realistic shot that he wins 5-6 NCs in that time span. That’s absolutely unreal.

All hopes of us beating Bama in the near future just evaporated. This type of success likely will never be duplicated.

And all because Rich Rod got cold feet

My dream is that someone will release a tell all book during that time span about all the new cars and money he was/is giving players and the NCAA strips him of all his wins.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I wish we didn't have the last string of 3 coaches. We are beat down. The thing is though, look at 'ol Gus Malzan. He had a way of beating Saban, with inferior talent, that actually brought me joy. He CAN be beaten. Just not by us for a long while.

As I say this, it has nothing to do with Saban, who is the best college football coach ever... There is a pervasive loser's mentality on VolNation. Some of these posts are over the top with defeatism. There is no pride here. Of course, there is going to be a smug Alabama fan among us, eating it up.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Here’s a fun fact (or kick in the nuts to start your day) that just occurred to me: This season Saban will be coaching against the 6th different University of Tennessee HFC since he arrived in 2007 …If he remains through the end of his contract it very well could be 7. Obviously hoping Heupel is still here when Saban retire and really hope Heupel can win one and be hoisted up the players shoulders when he shakes Saban’s hand in 2028.

We can only hope that Saban is followed by another Mike Shula
I don't think they fall off until they try and replace the guy who replaces Saban.

The guy who replaces Saban is going to be able to coast on momentum for a considerable period of time because Alabama has generated more momentum than any program probably in CFB history. Not only will he inherit a completed loaded and deep roster, but the brand equity Saban has built up will persist for years and years, probably to a greater extent than Bear Bryant's did.

The trap Alabama could fall into is that the guy who replaces Saban is good, not great, and they cut him loose after about 3 years because he doesn't win a title. The momentum starts to slow, they aren't able to replace him with a top-tier candidate, and they start to slip after that.

VN Store

Back