Ryan Spikes moving up

I’m still hopeful. These are the types of guys we have to find a way to hang on to in order to take the next step towards being a consistent Omaha program. Can’t blame the kid if he does go pro but hopefully he sees the allure of coming to college and we get a little bit lucky, too.

I’m still hopeful. These are the types of guys we have to find a way to hang on to in order to take the next step towards being a consistent Omaha program. Can’t blame the kid if he does go pro but hopefully he sees the allure of coming to college and we get a little bit lucky, too.

"Overall, the 2021 class seems weaker than teams would prefer at the very top, but with elite depth that might leave organizations more excited with their draftees on Days Two and Three than in a typical year."

This doesn't help. It means guys in those rounds might be enticed with more money dangled in front of them than in normal years

General question(s): If a prospect is selected in the MLB Draft, how long does he have to make a decision? Will we have a clearer idea about next year’s roster by the end of next week?

General question(s): If a prospect is selected in the MLB Draft, how long does he have to make a decision? Will we have a clearer idea about next year’s roster by the end of next week?

I don’t think it has much to do with it _gal…

If you get drafted in rounds 1 or 2, you are probably going. After that, it becomes whether you can improve your stock, whether you think, a couple of years in college will get you to round one, grades for some guys might make a third rounder go, family finances etc…

On top of all that, is all the stuff unique to this year, in particular. Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. JMO.

GBO!!!

I don’t think it has much to do with it _gal…

If you get drafted in rounds 1 or 2, you are probably going. After that, it becomes whether you can improve your stock, whether you think, a couple of years in college will get you to round one, grades for some guys might make a third rounder go, family finances etc…

On top of all that, is all the stuff unique to this year, in particular. Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. JMO.

GBO!!!

Got it. 👍🏼 Appreciate your insights, 66. It sounds like we're in for more twists and turns before the dust settles. What a summer ride!

Additionally they have until August 15th to decide to go to mlb or college. So it will drag out for a month to see who goes and who stays and some will wait until the last minute negotiating.

Like Mookie Betts…heartbreaking!!! It did work out for him though.

Reactions: BigDave
Saw McDaniel has him (Spikes) at #81 overall on the updated big board (4 spots above Fergie). How are we feeling about him making it to campus? Any talk out there about what it’ll take for him to take the money?

Reactions: TN_gal
Saw McDaniel has him (Spikes) at #81 overall on the updated big board (4 spots above Fergie). How are we feeling about him making it to campus? Any talk out there about what it’ll take for him to take the money?

Great questions. Thoughts anyone?

Piggybacking off of this, given that the draft is this weekend, is there an existing thread to put these questions? If so, I can bump it back to the first page. If not, I can start a general MLB draft thread for questions, updates, discussion re: Tennessee commits and current players and link it back here. Let me know what y’all like to do.

I mean, if this draft is like any of the "normal" ones. If your in the top 10 round picks then your 99.9% of the time gone.

I'm willing to bet if he goes anywhere near #81 then he has already agreed to a deal. They are not gonna waste a #81 overall pick on someone who has not guaranteed them they are going. The draft is more concise than it once was and especially with HS seniors they are more concrete than before. There is very little wasting a pick hoping we can get him to agree.

I'm willing to bet if he goes anywhere near #81 then he has already agreed to a deal. They are not gonna waste a #81 overall pick on someone who has not guaranteed them they are going. The draft is more concise than it once was and especially with HS seniors they are more concrete than before. There is very little wasting a pick hoping we can get him to agree.

Right, thanks. I guess I should have framed the question differently. I was more wondering if it’s been mentioned if he has expressed an interest either way. For comparison, McDaniel also has Burns in the top 100 and, as you said, if he were to be picked there it would be a no-doubter. But, he more than likely won’t be since he’s leaned toward making it to campus.

Here are '21 Draft bonus pools, pick values

#81 slot bonus pays about 800 K. As Preacherman said above, the big clubs don't waste a high third round draft choice on someone for whom if they will sign is unknown. So, if he actually gets drafted there, then both parties have already probably agreed on the money, and he's probably gone.

Reactions: nashvillepanther
Article today by D1Baseball says they believe Spikes will be the only one to make it to campus of the three infielders. They believe Moore and Stephenson will go to draft along with House. Burns is 50/50.

Only issue for Burns that I can see is that he might think that if he goes to college for three years that he, like Rocker and Leiter, would be a top 5 or top 10 pick, and that would be a huge dollars difference to where he would go this year.

Here are '21 Draft bonus pools, pick values

#81 slot bonus pays about 800 K. As Preacherman said above, the big clubs don't waste a high third round draft choice on someone for whom if they will sign is unknown. So, if he actually gets drafted there, then both parties have already probably agreed on the money, and he's probably gone.

Thanks for the link.

And just to further clarify, that #81 was just McDaniel’s ranking and not a mock draft. Interesting to see that Spikes has shot up so much and quickly.

Thanks for the link.

And just to further clarify, that #81 was just McDaniel’s ranking and not a mock draft. Interesting to see that Spikes has shot up so much and quickly.

I didn't understand that was a ranking and not a mock draft slot number. Do you know what his mock draft number is? If so, you can use that link to look up his slot allotment $.

I didn't understand that was a ranking and not a mock draft slot number. Do you know what his mock draft number is? If so, you can use that link to look up his slot allotment $.

He only mocked the first two rounds I believe (with House going #3 overall - which was the only notable). Then he released a ranking of the top 200 (House: #6, Spikes: #81, Ferguson: #85, Burns: #97, Dallas: #122, Rucker: “Just Missed”)

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I would caution against being negative in the 3rd round. 3rd round has a lot of hit-and-miss for guys, dreams, aspirations. Right on the cuff on the big money, but still a good chunk of change after taxes. Unless the family finances are terrible, I would bet a 3rd rounder comes to the SEC and starts for 3 years before going in the 1st/comp round.

Edit: assuming he progresses in-line with his peers.

He only mocked the first two rounds I believe (with House going #3 overall - which was the only notable). Then he released a ranking of the top 200 (House: #6, Spikes: #81, Ferguson: #85, Burns: #97, Dallas: #122, Rucker: “Just Missed”)

Thankfully, they just rank based off projections. Baseball drafting is an entirely different ballgame. Especially after the first round. But agreed with most people - if he’s drafted that high, he’s already let the teams know what he will sign for and they plan to give it.

VN Store

Back