Russell Improving In The Pros

Mercedes has single-handedly rejuvenated my interest in the WNBA.

After many years of being an avid fan — I was one of many organizing “founding members” who helped bring the Atlanta Dream to the league, even — several personal changes eventually led to my interest in the league plummeting to “I’ll check out the championship final.”

But watching Mercedes blossom this season has been fun. I always appreciated her leadership as a Lady Vol and had felt so bad that her career at Tennessee wasn’t more successful for her, so now that she’s improving and gaining confidence I find I am watching regularly again.

Mercedes has single-handedly rejuvenated my interest in the WNBA.

After many years of being an avid fan — I was one of many organizing “founding members” who helped bring the Atlanta Dream to the league, even — several personal changes eventually led to my interest in the league plummeting to “I’ll check out the championship final.”

But watching Mercedes blossom this season has been fun. I always appreciated her leadership as a Lady Vol and had felt so bad that her career at Tennessee wasn’t more successful for her, so now that she’s improving and gaining confidence I find I am watching regularly again.

hear here!

She is getting over years of pain from her feet. I know they were surgically repaired a couple of years ago but it takes a while sometimes a long while to gain confidence and lose the fear of the pain that she must have felt every time she cut. Without PHD this take time.

While I
She is getting over years of pain from her feet. I know they were surgically repaired a couple of years ago but it takes a while sometimes a long while to gain confidence and lose the fear of the pain that she must have felt every time she cut. Without PHD this take time.

While I somewhat agree with you and the feet may have been an issue, however, it was apparent that no one really taught her how to run. She wasted a lot of motion running up and down the court. Her stride was not such that see took advantage of her stride possibility. A lot of Mercedes issues also related to a lack of coaching. It happened to Grinder, when she first got into the WNBA she was not prepared for the next level. What the Mercury did was paid Jabar to train her.

Reactions: TrésDay
I am just saying the brain and muscle has to heal and it takes longer to get over it, if there has been chronic pain. It is like this is the way it will be and now it is not but the body, the affected muscle, and the brain have now got to come to term with the new reality.

Kind of silly to be equating a basketball player running up and down a basketball court to someone running TRACK.

That is incorrect running is running no matter what sport you play. The ideology is learning how to run from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. This has to do with the motion of the arms, feet and really the entire body. How you plant your feet affects your speed and your ability to cut. All are important to basketball as well as all other sports which require running.

Kind of silly to be equating a basketball player running up and down a basketball court to someone running TRACK.

There is a difference.... basketball court is fifty feet by 94 feet. A track is usually 400 meters is a oval shape.

In basketball you run in quick and usually short burst. Those who get in shape for basketball knows what the suicide drills are. But 94 feet is the limit for running in one direction! But you have to go from offense to defense to offense etc. so this is a never ending conditioning of short spurts of running until the whistle blows or the time clock stops you. Conditioning for basketball is different than track!
Track conditioning is directly specific for 100 meters , 200 meters, 400 , 800, a mile etc. Sprints are usually all out running as. Fast as you can till you reach the finish line. However you must condition to run further than your specific race or you will tire before your specific race is complete. Then there is distance running which requires a pace running until you near the end of the specific distance event then you run in a final kick pace to finish the race . Then there is hurdles and passing a baton to incorporate into other track events.
But running is running and there are similarities unless you are dribbling a basketball or running backwards getting ready for defense. I don’t know of any event in track that you would run backwards but you do in basketball! I think track would help an athlete condition/ prepare for basketball but playing basketball would not be as helpful for a specific track event . However, being in condition to compete in either sport would be beneficial to any athlete. JMO

I am just saying the brain and muscle has to heal and it takes longer to get over it, if there has been chronic pain. It is like this is the way it will be and now it is not but the body, the affected muscle, and the brain have now got to come to term with the new reality.

You speak the truth My son has lived with chronic pain since he was15 years old- and manages it without pain meds. It’s mind over matter daily.

Highlights from the game played on 7/5/19. Looks like the same Mercedes to me, but again it's just highlights.

Yes, I saw that game and Mercedes did not play as well as she has played. I would give her a break on this one and chalk it up to everyone has a bad game on any given day. Don’t look for her to be a Stewie, because she does not seem to possess Stewie’s game IQ. When Stewie returns, Mercedes is at best, a sub. She still needs a lot of work.

that was pitiful from MR. standing around the ft line, no rebounds, no D... no effort

VN Store

Back