Running out of Gas

Wha I've yet to see posted in this thread is the whole season ZZ has played a TON of minutes. I think it all caught up with him.

For all the things Barnes does well, I've never understood some of his rotations. If we're up by 25 with just a few mins to go, sit ZZ and DK down. I realize he was the linchpin and Barnes didn't trust the Freshmen, but something needs to give in that respect. ZZ is tough but he's still human.

Doesn't change the Edey bs, but it was a factor.

Reactions: BeAllEndAll
Someone has to lose and unfortunately it was our Vols. This loss is still with me as I feel the same way I did after TN lost to LSU in 2001 and Jr in 2022.

We would’ve been a six point favorite over NC State so this loss makes me feel worse.

It’s frustrating as we were so close. I don’t think TN football will contend for a championship over the next few yrs so basketball was our best shot. Plus, I love this team and Coach Barnes.
We were slight underdogs in this game. Losing to LSU in 2001 title game was inexcusable.

I do believe that if Uros Plavsic was on this team that he could guard Edey. He is only a couple inches shorter and he’s probably just as strong.

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
Spot on about not being able to do anything about Purdue dumping the ball to Lurch and he eventually gets a lay up or dunk. There's not much you can do about that without a bigger guy to challenge him. Purdue has done that to every team they played in the tourney and it's worked so far.
Before the game all the talking heads on the pre-game shows including Barkley said Tenn big guy needs to get behind Edey and , well, we saw the result. I wonder if it might disrupt that to bring a player to be in front of Edey and try to keep him from getting the ball. I know this frees up a player that's not going to have a man on him, but you exchange a high percentage dunk shot for a jump shot farther out. Just thinking outside the box in hindsight.

The only chance Aidoo would have had would be to front Edey and and try to deny the entry pass using his length, because he just doesn't have the strength to push him out of the block. UT could have doubled underneath before the pass was made, but then you're exposing yourself to open 3's, and I'd rather give up layups to the goon. It was a 'pick your poison' kind of day, especially with the way the game was called.

We were slight underdogs in this game. Losing to LSU in 2001 title game was inexcusable.

Agreed, this isn't anywhere close to the LSU game, and to me the Carsen Edwards game was the more brutal loss due to the hideous call with the game already won. We just ran out of gas on Sunday.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
I do believe that if Uros Plavsic was on this team that he could guard Edey. He is only a couple inches shorter and he’s probably just as strong.
He'd do better than anyone on this year's team but would've had 2 fouls in 2 minutes.

Santi being out for Creighton was bigger than most realize. Wore ZZ down. It didn't show much in that game, but showed up against Purdue. That's why his shots were off. Short turnaround was ridiculous. On Friday, why an eastern time zone game would start after those out west is just ignorant. Santi really didn't play much at all against Purdue either. Understandably, he didn't have the energy. Not his fault, but, obviously, cost us the game....well that and the ridiculous officiating.

Santi being out for Creighton was bigger than most realize. Wore ZZ down. It didn't show much in that game, but showed up against Purdue. That's why his shots were off. Short turnaround was ridiculous. On Friday, why an eastern time zone game would start after those out west is just ignorant. Santi really didn't play much at all against Purdue either. Understandably, he didn't have the energy. Not his fault, but, obviously, cost us the game....well that and the ridiculous officiating.
West games were on Thursday.

VN Store

Back