Running Game

OWB

Never
Staff member
Hey all, I am new here. I live in Virginia about two hours away from Knoxville. I am stressed about our running game. I am starting to see a trend here! We run like crazy against all of the patsy teams, but when the SEC play starts we are lucky to get 100 yards rushing. I know a lot of things have to happen in order for the run game to be successful, but it is getting ridiculous. To me, 1 yard of total offense until almost the middle of the second quarter against Bama is not acceptable to me. Where are our recruits? Where are the backs that hit the holes and break tackles? I hope it gets a little better against USC, but I will not bet on it. I feel better now that I have that out of system! Thanks for listening.....

I am kinda worried also but I am wondering why Houston is not starting! I thought he was doing a wonderful job! Hitting the holes hard.

Ever since Riggs has started anyone noticed a difference in the running game? I think it has.

I am wondering did Houston do anything to lose his starting job?

Houston has been hurt and he has also been missing cutbacks, Plus Riggs has proven he can pass block and since Trooper said during fall practice Riggs was running better than Houston then actually it should come as no surprise that Riggs has been starting. As for the run game its a combination of things like Munoz, Respert, Douglas and Sears being hurt, playing out of position(Sears) and missing games(Douglas). plus first Houston Hurt and now Riggs. Riggs was hurt the first part of the Bama game and come to find out he has been passing blood and trying to keep it from the coaches.

Glad they figured out that Riggs had a problem. That can be really dangerous.

Unfortunately, I think TNVOLS1 is 100% right. I think we've been banged up worse than advertised. I think that may have a lot to do with the limited offense that we've seen that last couple of weeks.

Please don't forget that the O line is real banged up right now..Munoz thigh bruise.Toiena Knee Douglas Out. Hopefully this week the all will be 100%

Lt Lg C Rg Rt TE
Munoz Smith Respert Sears Toiena Mcclure

Line avg's 317 lbs If they are all healthy I bet we get the running game going against SC

My predciction: 195yrds

I jsut wish they would utilize Cory Anderson on those short yardage plays;;
270 lbs dear god he should be able to lean for two yards.

First of all, welcome the the Nation.

We have a group of guys who are playing hurt, but are still able to do some things well in order to keep up an effective pass attack. I think you will see the Vols from earlier in the year on Saturday.

Yeah, I know our OL is banged up and I admire the toughness of these guys playing anyway. It will be interesting to see if everything gets rolling again once Douglas is back and everyone is back in the normal place. :cross:

:welcome:

Our O line is definitely banged up and the running production has seen the effects.

Riggs started because he deserved to start, but Houston being banged up could have made the decision easier.

All our backs need to step it up!

What is this about Riggs passing blood? I haven't heard that yet, please share.

Originally posted by Vols4life@Oct 26, 2004 7:45 PM
I am kinda worried also but I am wondering why Houston is not starting! I thought he was doing a wonderful job! Hitting the holes hard.

Ever since Riggs has started anyone noticed a difference in the running game? I think it has.

I am wondering did Houston do anything to lose his starting job?

His yards-per-carry average the last 3 games is 2.1

same scenario as last year Houston comes out of the gates blazing then we get to the meat of the schedule and he goes to squat, Riggs banged up too not good for us and Davis I don't think is the answer either, maybe it's time the redshirt comes off? :ph34r:

gotta remember too that while there may be some backs on the bench who have the talent to contribute, they arent up on the playbook or the offensive schemes....what with ainge having to checkoff with sanders on almost every play...id doubt thered be time left on the playclock doing all that and telling a back what to do every single play.

Re: Houston, bad ankle for 3 weeks. When he was given the ball against Bammer last week, he looked good. I suspect you'll see improvement in our running game this week with the return of Douglas and the improved health of a few others. Ced may actually be able to make a cut as well this week.

Attachments

• footballhead.jpg
    footballhead.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0
Why are we not utilizing Cory Anderson On short yardage plays I mean come on this guy his 6-3 270lbs already proven he can move 7 catches for 69 yards.. I would hope that he could get 2 or three yards

When someone finds out the status of Rigg's,let us know.Where did that info come from that he was passing blood?

The running game is in reverse since Coach Barry left for NC State. To note also, this is the worst accumulation of running backs since the 1986-87 squad. ( cobb, webb,thompson,stewart,hayden,garner, graham, lewis, henry, stephens) The opponents have figured out our unchanging blocking schemes combined with unchanging tendencies and as mentioned earlier lack of talent toting the rock! I know you guys are die hard fans, as am I but, don't let that allegiance blind you from what you watch on game days. :twocents:

it is true that our o line is banged up and we have some talent at rb on the bench , but the bama D is one of the best in the confrence.

The running game started going in the tank when Barry was here. His last year at UT was worse than this one.

Well don Coach Neyland never changed his blocking schemes or his tendencies and they worked very well plus he never had more than 20 plays his whole career at UT, it comes down to execution and UT has not been doing a good job of that. Injuries have played a bigger part in that than you realize.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Oct 27, 2004 9:47 PM
The running game is in reverse since Coach Barry left for NC State. To note also, this is the worst accumulation of running backs since the 1986-87 squad. ( cobb, webb,thompson,stewart,hayden,garner, graham, lewis, henry, stephens) The opponents have figured out our unchanging blocking schemes combined with unchanging tendencies and as mentioned earlier lack of talent toting the rock! I know you guys are die hard fans, as am I but, don't let that allegiance blind you from what you watch on game days. :twocents:

In 1986, William Howard led the Vols in rushing with 787 yards (4.4 avg) and 14 tds. Charles Wilson had 301 yards (4.9 avg) and 2 tds... and Keith Davis had 293 yards (5.1 avg) and 3 tds. As a team the Vols had 1823 yards and 21 tds. The average per game was 165.7 yards. Howard was AP All-America (Honorable Mention) and AP All-SEC (2nd Team). Howard still holds the Tennessee record for consecutive rushing attempts with 16 in-a-row in the Vols victory over Ole Miss. The Vols lost 5 games that season: Miss State (27-23), Auburn (34-8), Army (25-21), Alabama (56-28), and Ga Tech (14-13). Through 7 games, the Vols were 2-5....... in contrast, this season's Vols are 6-1......

Currently, Gerald Riggs leads the Vols in rushing with 560 yards (4.6 avg) and 2 tds. Cedric Houston has 427 yards (5.3 avg) and 2 tds. As a team the Vols have 1205 yards and 8 tds. The average per game is 172.1.

At their current pace, Riggs would finish with 960 yards and 4 tds.... Houston with 732 yards and 4 tds. That is a total of 1692 yds. But of course with Vanderbilt and Kentucky looming on the schedule, those numbers could be considerably higher?

Other recent running back combos with similar numbers at Tennessee:
1989 Webb 1236 yds, Cobb 616 yds = 1852 yds
1991 Stewart 939 yds, Hayden 704 yds = 1643 yds
1992 Garner 928 yds, Stewart 386 yds, Hayden 321 yds = 1635 yds
1993 Garner 1161 yds, Stewart 537 yds, Hayden 217 yds = 1915 yds
1994 Stewart 1028 yds, Hayden 819 yds = 1847 yds
1998 Henry 970 yds, Lewis 497 yds = 1467 yds
1999 Lewis 816 yds, Henry 790 yds = 1606 yds
2000 Henry 1314 yds, Stephens 359 yds = 1673 yds
2002 Houston 779 yds, Davis 587 yds = 1366 yds
2003 Houston 744 yds, Davis 565 yds = 1309 yds

Did some looking and can find nothing on Riggs's condition. Anyone with info? He's not even listed on the Injury Update from yesterday's practice.

I still don't know anything about Rigg's condition.It seems he was hit pretty hard in the Bama game and had some kind of internal injury.

It is mentioned in this morings News Sentienal that Riggs (ribs) and Houston (ankle) Trooper mentioned that Riggs Side was black and blue.

I think the best thing that could of happened this week was everyone writing and talking about the lack of offense. I expect big things this weekend.

RUN GERALD (OR CEDRIC) RUN!

VN Store

Back