Running Backs Update

Alot goes into the running game from the QB position. Alot goes into the blocking scheme , from the QB position. JG would execute a running play into horrible situations. He also did not recognize obvious blitzes . He obviously did not have the ability to audible or change the play . The offense he was running had been simplified beyond reason. He either didn't have the ability to audible due to limitations placed on him by the coaches or his own inability to recognize defenses pre-snap/

If you wonder why guys like Manning or Brady always seems to have a good running game , no matter who is blocking or who is running , it all comes back to the pre-snap read. A simple example is the UGA game . UGA was overloading one side. An audible to change the run play to the other side , results in a big gain. The play would go right at the overload and die a quick death.

Get the QB play right , we will have a running game
You can't use JG as a scapegoat for everything. That OL was as soft as mashed potatoes last year.

Gray was fast and quick but the next tackle he breaks will be the first one. I wish him well but will not miss him

this is my problem with UT fans. Ppl continue to mk silly statements because a kid left because of a better situation and more stability. Gray is a pro and has game breaking ability. When you hv the work qb in the nation and the OL was average to below average you will never reach your full potential. It’s hard to break a tkl when you have been getting the hell knocked out of you on 3 out of 5 plays and then on those two plays the defense misses on their call and it springs for a positive. At Oklahoma he will go for all conference and be a premier rb in the country.

Totally agree. I’m pissed he left as well but to say things like “good riddance” is pure idiocy. Gray is a stud and if you don’t see it your just stupid I’m sorry. Don’t let your butthurt affect your logic. Honestly like I said, I’m pissed he left but I still can clearly see he’s a great talent. Cuz, you know, I’ve got eyes......

I won't argue with you, for sure, but it's just there's plenty of hype every year and I think we talk ourselves into thinking they're better than they really are. All of these backs are either average or a little above average.
You are right . My only point was that the backs have not been given much of a chance. With a solid audible game the backs fair much better. With a solid running game the passing game improves. It won't seem like everybody is covered by two guys

Reactions: Other_Guy
Totally agree. I’m pissed he left as well but to say things like “good riddance” is pure idiocy. Gray is a stud and if you don’t see it your just stupid I’m sorry. Don’t let your butthurt affect your logic. Honestly like I said, I’m pissed he left but I still can clearly see he’s a great talent. Cuz, you know, I’ve got eyes......
Gray was okay he couldn’t pass block worth a lick though

this is my problem with UT fans. Ppl continue to mk silly statements because a kid left because of a better situation and more stability. Gray is a pro and has game breaking ability. When you hv the work qb in the nation and the OL was average to below average you will never reach your full potential. It’s hard to break a tkl when you have been getting the hell knocked out of you on 3 out of 5 plays and then on those two plays the defense misses on their call and it springs for a positive. At Oklahoma he will go for all conference and be a premier rb in the country.
Hope you’re right. Want the best for the kid. but I won’t be surprised if he isn’t a #2 behind Stevenson. Hopefully they develop the kind of duo that Michel and Chubb had.

Correct. Biggest loss beside To’oto

Reactions: Evergrenevol
So you just pointed out how incompetent your coach was and the fans are the problem because they were complaining? You were the one upset he got canned. Go figure.

Reactions: BP4Prez
As much as it sucked to lose our....like entire production on offense from last season.....I am excited to see how we reload. Small certainly showed promise and Evans is talked up quite a bit.

Just hope this isn’t the beat writers giving is the same false hope that we get every year around spring 🥴

Reactions: vettefool
So you just pointed out how incompetent your coach was and the fans are the problem because they were complaining? You were the one upset he got canned. Go figure.

No that's not it at all because the OL issues didn't start when Pruitt stepped on campus. I do believe OL has been an issue due to Lyle Jones and his poor OL recruiting or lack thereof. Now I will say that Will Friend was not the guy to lead those young OL guys to be great, but it didn't start with neither him nor Pruitt.

No that's not it at all because the OL issues didn't start when Pruitt stepped on campus. I do believe OL has been an issue due to Lyle Jones and his poor OL recruiting or lack thereof. Now I will say that Will Friend was not the guy to lead those young OL guys to be great, but it didn't start with neither him nor Pruitt.
I agree with you on your point.

Huh? Sounded to me like he was just saying to stop bashing Gray because he’s really good and he will show that this upcoming year at OU

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Gray was a good back and would have had a good year in this O. I think Chandler though would have excelled because of the passing game. Gray should have a great year at OK if he stays healthy and I don’t blame him as he has pro potential and our staff hires took a while to get in place. He has good vision, break away speed and balance, not the strongest of the backs, but really good in space.

Reactions: Volinnooga
I'm excited to see the new RBs we'll have carrying the ball for us this year. We needed a total team refresh and we are definitely getting one.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
It didn’t start when Pruitt got here, no. But he sure didn’t help the situation either.

Gray has talent. Travis Henry he is not.

Who said he was Henry? He played more like Traphis Stephens than Henry. Gray was faster and had more burst than T. Hen. Even in a discussion Gray was liked by Jamal, T. Steph, and T. Hen.

It didn’t start when Pruitt got here, no. But he sure didn’t help the situation either.

Your statement isn't true at the least because he definitely helped it. I know your question is how, and my response is just look at the talent in the OL room vs when he arrived. 10x better than what he inherited. I'll say this again his only mistake was hiring the wrong guy. I've said that since day 1.

VN Store

Back