(Rumor) Chaney reached out to Hurts

Based on what? And if they are much improved, that’ll make them what, only well below average rather than literally the worst OL in all of college football?
He is probably basing it off the fact that we can only go up?

If he just wants to play qb fine its his prerogative. But if he wants to make one last audition for the NFL. He should find a school that can make him the focal point and move him around like Randall Cobb was used at Kentucky. He will not be a qb in the NFL outside of a few packages a game. He is very athletic. So let him show he can catch some balls down field. Make some runs from running back position and occasionally throw out of wildcat and someone will be able to find a roster spot for him.

Unlike everyone else on this site, I don’t have any insider knowledge. But I would expect Hurts to go to a school where there won’t be much of a QB competition, if at all. He’s been through that and probably doesn’t want to deal with it again.

Would it be worth burning a scholarship on him when your goal is building a foundation (starting with block -not bricks) for the future?. I think CJP would let Chaney bring in who he wants, though. It might be more telling that Chaney has put this on the table. Perhaps, pschologically, to foster competition among the QBs? Heck, I don't know. When do we get the countdown?

Unlike everyone else on this site, I don’t have any insider knowledge. But I would expect Hurts to go to a school where there won’t be much of a QB competition, if at all. He’s been through that and probably doesn’t want to deal with it again.
He wouldn't have much competition here

Hurts would be an immediate impact player for UT. He already has a relationship with Pruitt even though they were on different sides of the ball. I cant see next years OL being much worse than what Dobbs had his entire career at UT. Now with all that said. I don't see him coming to UT. Would be awesome if he did though.

I doubt Hurts wants to come to a place where he will have to run for his life. He has a lot of better offers.

G
The boy is a winner, plain and simple. He could help us a lot if he decided to come here. Plus the NFL already knows about him, playing for us wouldn't hurt him at all.
Guarantano would be a “winner” if he had been playing with the talent that Hurts has had around him the last 3 years.

Really? You never made a typo before? Like I posted to the other smartass that pointed it out, was it not obvious what year I was alluding to given the context and the fact that it obviously couldn’t be 2012?

Smartass IMO...🤓
GBO!!

O line will be more than ok next year.

Feels like we've been saying this since Dooley had the stud senior offensive line developed by Phil Fulmer. We haven't had one since.

As much as I like JG, Tennessee would be insane not to pursue Hurts if interested. Hurts is clearly interested in having an "internship" under an OC who has developed great NFL QBs. I think Chaney has potential to be a Championship OC. I saw weaknesses with his offense during his stint here but he has now shown Championship potential. What is clear is that he has been around and helped develop elite QBs at the next level. I think that means more to Jalen Hurts than a gazillion meaningless yards in the No Defense Belt conference.

This is a terrible place for Hurts. He needs a dominant offensive line.

Bring a Mobile QB actually alleviates having a crappy line. Plus our line will somewhat improve with bigger bodies coming in. Having a mobile QB on our team would be an automatic upgrade alone.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Dobbs made it work for him, not saying he had stellar OLs. Although were it me or my kid, I'd recommend he go where the OL was in better shape.

Dobbs was a freak, a much maligned one in fact based on what Vols fans who were Dobbs critics said throughout his starting career. I don't think Hurts has the freakish running ability of Dobbs. And run he'd have to given our OL's contemporary performance. Further, bringing him here would likely disrupt the team as JG has his mates respect now. Hurts needs to go a team that has weak QB play so as to make the most of his final year to play. He shouldn't put himself in a Keller Chryst situation.

We already have a QB. A couple more on scholarship (including Maurer) and another committed for 2012. Exactly why would we need him or better yet why would he want to come here? I’m calling BS.

2012??? My gosh!!! Irwin Allen was right.

1547212316895.png

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
They'll help, but there's a reason most true freshmen o-linemen never see the field.
There is also a reason UT has started true freshmen OL over the past 4 or 5 years. A testament to just what kind of talent we have up front. I'm excited about our OL signees and expect at least one to start. We get Wright and that is at least 2. IMO of course.

I'm not sure who all wants him. But he needs to avoid places like UT,Kansas, Maryland, etc.

A place like Duke might be good for him.

When you're young and bullet proof, we tend to make decisions based on our emotions. We all know how Hurts saved Bama in the SEC Championship game only to sit on the bench during National Championship. I for one think he should have started the second half and I'm sure he does also. That might have caused bad feelings. I remember another young man that spurned Alabama because of the way his father was treated (Flowers). He signed with UT and played for Doug Dickey.
His father was a great man. You never know what inspires a person and their decisions.

Reactions: VolNExile
I'm not sure who all wants him. But he needs to avoid places like UT,Kansas, Maryland, etc.

A place like Duke might be good for him.
That is exactly what I have thought all along. Daniel Jones had a better than avg OL and ACC school with a proven QB developer in Coach Cut. He would certainly help himself tremendously going there.

I like JG and doubt Hurts would come, but his pure strength and athleticism would be the best way to counter our God awful offensive line

Jalen Hurts doesn’t have to win a championship to go to the NFL. Hell I’d be more impressed if he got us 9-10 wins than I would be if he went to Oklahoma and won a championship.

That could be our recruiting pitch against OU: “Win less and impress more. That’s the opportunity you have here.”

Feels like we've been saying this since Dooley had the stud senior offensive line developed by Phil Fulmer. We haven't had one since.

As much as I like JG, Tennessee would be insane not to pursue Hurts if interested. Hurts is clearly interested in having an "internship" under an OC who has developed great NFL QBs. I think Chaney has potential to be a Championship OC. I saw weaknesses with his offense during his stint here but he has now shown Championship potential. What is clear is that he has been around and helped develop elite QBs at the next level. I think that means more to Jalen Hurts than a gazillion meaningless yards in the No Defense Belt conference.
What? Most of those guys were signed in Dooley's ( aka Kiffins ) first class in 2010, Fulmer had nothing to do with it

VN Store

Back