Rumor....Auburn's possible interest in Vols WR Coach David Johnson

What team

Name one college team that has a 1000 yard wr each year. Not too many if any. The ones that are close have one good wr coach for a while like USC with Tee.

He had plenty of offers. Many good coaches have been fired. They averaged 31.75 ppg last year before the demotion.
31.75????? Please verify your calculations. You might be right, but When I add their scores for 8 games and divide by 8 I get slightly over 27.

Had excellent recruiting classes at USC and didn't produce. USC has 5th best recruiting class average for the last 5 years.
Stats don't mean that much for position coaches. The ones who are fortunate enough to coach the best players have the best stats.
Which stat do you find meaningful?
Possibly the best stat is longevity. Like any job experience should make one better. Not always true though.

Didnt produce? So if stats dont mean much for position coaches, then what criteria are using to say he didn't produce? Did USCs WRs not produce?

And? Are we hiring him as an OC?

Would USC not just keep him but promote him over and over again through multiple coaching changes if he were just a recruiter and not a good position coach?

See people are playing both sides here, some say he's not a great recruiter bc USC recruits itself. Others says he's not a good position coach bc of the talent he had at the position. Why in the hell did multiple head coaches keep the guy on staff if he can't recruit or coach and then double down by promoting him bc he sucked at his job?

Great points Chad. Also factor in that Tee took over an offense that had to replace Darnold and Ronald Jones. I think some just want to find any way possible to nitpick over this hire.

Great points Chad. Also factor in that Tee took over an offense that had to replace Darnold and Ronald Jones. I think some just want to find any way possible to nitpick over this hire.
He had Darnold his first two years as oc. He did not take over an o that had to replace Darnold.
He was lost in his third year without Darnold and was relieved of his play calling duties and fired.

He had Darnold his first two years as oc. He did not take over an o that had to replace Darnold.
He was lost in his third year without Darnold and was relieved of his play calling duties and fired.

He wasnt the full OC. Tyson and Clay Helton had hands in the offense. This past season was the first one without Tyson. So technically it was his very first gig in college football as the main OC. Helton needed a scapegoat to save his job. Tee was one of those casualties. You can continue the argument about Tee being a downgrade from Johnson all you want. But resumes speaks to Tee being the better choice.

Reactions: johnrlansford
YAC is a very good WR coach and the kids really love him so I'd hate to lose him.

Nobody knows for a fact if Tee will recruit well for Tennessee because USC basically recruits well for itself.

It's not my call or I'd keep YAC coaching our WRs but it's Pruitts job on the line and his call to make.

I'll aways support my Vols no matter what!

VFL...GBO!!!

Yeah he was only the #6 recruiter in the SEC...at Kentucky!

Plus he was THE guy at USC. Just like Bama, maybe it recruits itself, but Lupoi is the best there and he'd be great anywhere...same with Tee.

Reactions: KBVol
That would be a downgrade. DJ is the real deal. But I believe someone else recently tried to get him and CJP held onto him. Hope like hell we can hold onto him for at least another year or 2.
Not true imho. Tee would be a significant upgrade in terms of recruiting. And you’re forgetting the success Tee has had over the years when he was a WR coach. Tee would be and is a significant upgrade all things considered.

Not true imho. Tee would be a significant upgrade in terms of recruiting. And you’re forgetting the success Tee has had over the years when he was a WR coach. Tee would be and is a significant upgrade all things considered.

Yup. David Johnson is a great coach, but Tee has a longer proven track record at developing WRs and is 100 times the recruiter.

If anyone has any doubts about David Johnson being a better developer of talent at WR than Tee Martin, just go back and look at Tee Martin's response when a reporter asked him(as the WR coach) why the Kentucky receivers were dropping so many balls.....his response...."I don't know, I didn't play the position".

Tee Martin "I don't know, I didn't play the position." | |
And yet his performance at KY resulted in USC hiring him. And now at TN.

Think I’ll side with the HCs on this one.

Just because I'm bored...

The vast majority of WRs taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft are from P5 schools.

8 taken in 2018, 2 non-P5 schools (SMU and Memphis)
6 taken in 2017, 1 non-P5 school (ECU)
7 taken in 2016, all P5 schools
9 taken in 2015, 1 non-P5 school (UCF)
12 taken in 2014, 1 non-P5 school (Fresno State)

42 1st and 2nd round WR picks overall. Only 5 were non-P5 schools. Johnson having one of those five can be a testament to his coaching ability.

Don't get me wrong I like Johnson a lot as a coach.

But 1 receiver drafted in your coaching career isn't justification that he is a great developer/teacher. It could just be a a naturally talented player.
Multiple receivers drafted is a better sample because the likelihood of them having to be coached/developed would be more obvious.

You could also look at ranks before draft to where they were drafted but I am way too lazy to do all that work!

Tee is a great recruiter and a great coach
Johnson is a good recruiter and a great coach

Something I saw earlier said Tee was coaching QB/Recruiting coordinator.
So who knows who will be coaching WR, maybe Chaney?

Reactions: DuckRiverVol
Don't get me wrong I like Johnson a lot as a coach.

But 1 receiver drafted in your coaching career isn't justification that he is a great developer/teacher. It could just be a a naturally talented player.
Multiple receivers drafted is a better sample because the likelihood of them having to be coached/developed would be more obvious.

You could also look at ranks before draft to where they were drafted but I am way too lazy to do all that work!

Tee is a great recruiter and a great coach
Johnson is a good recruiter and a great coach

Something I saw earlier said Tee was coaching QB/Recruiting coordinator.
So who knows who will be coaching WR, maybe Chaney?

Consider where they were drafted from, how many years Johnson was in the position and what the recruits ranking was prior to being signed at the college.

What's more impressive? A 3 star that goes in the first two rounds from a Mid Major school or a 5 star that gets drafted from a traditional blue blood P5 school?

Consider where they were drafted from, how many years Johnson was in the position and what the recruits ranking was prior to being signed at the college.

What's more impressive? A 3 star that goes in the first two rounds from a Mid Major school or a 5 star that gets drafted from a traditional blue blood P5 school?

Are we recruiting 3 stars to coach up or 5 stars?

We aren't Memphis we are Tennessee, we should get better talent than Johnson has recruited to other schools.

I agree with you but Tee has a larger success rate of putting receivers in the NFL, My only point.

Last edited:
You have to admit that it's pretty impressive that Coach YAC Johnson took a walk on at Memphis and coached him up to be a 2nd round NFL draft pick.

It seems like it would be easier to coach 4* and 5* kids to get drafted.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Tee may be the better reruiter, but I think Johnson is the better position coach. Our receivers cought almost every 50-50 ball last year and was the main reason we beat Auburn and UK, and none of our recievers were 5* rated. I would really hate to lose Johnson as our WR coach.

Reactions: Vol Main
verification on that?
Here ya go.

Tee Martin picks the Vols over other SEC schools

Low tells WVLT that both Alabama and Auburn Universities came hard after Tee and that Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason offered him the Commodores Offensive Coordinator position. In then end Tee, who had been talking with UT and Jeremy Pruitt for some time, decided returning to Rocky Top would be the best thing for him.

For some reason some posters only believe the negative rumors about Tee.

This also shoots down the stupid never getting an OC at a P5 school again argument that was going around. There ya go.

Here ya go.

Tee Martin picks the Vols over other SEC schools

Low tells WVLT that both Alabama and Auburn Universities came hard after Tee and that Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason offered him the Commodores Offensive Coordinator position. In then end Tee, who had been talking with UT and Jeremy Pruitt for some time, decided returning to Rocky Top would be the best thing for him.

For some reason some posters only believe the negative rumors about Tee.

This also shoots down the stupid never getting an OC at a P5 school again argument that was going around. There ya go.
Thanks. I knew he had spoken to schools. Wasn't aware of an offer. Just knew he turned down an interview for FCS HC job.

Reactions: k-town_king
Is David Johnson good at coaching WR? Absolutely he is. Recruiting wise it goes to Tee. Everyone is saying CDJ is a great recruiter but looking at composite rankings, Brian Neidermeyer is the best on this staff. CDJ isn’t even top 75 in the country right now.

VN Store

Back