Rules for safety

99gator

Congressman
Do we have any evidence at all that the rules that have been implemented are impacting player safety.

You have 3 SEC QB's out for the season already. The guy for USC is out. In the NFL, Brees, Big Ben and Foles are injured. Andrew Luck said to hell with it.

All of these rules to protect the QB and they are dropping like flies.

Do we have any evidence at all that the rules that have been implemented are impacting player safety.

You have 3 SEC QB's out for the season already. The guy for USC is out. In the NFL, Brees, Big Ben and Foles are injured. Andrew Luck said to hell with it.

Idk about the QB safety but it sure as heck is more safe for receivers catching passes full speed.

It's football injuries happen, they can't institute rules for all injuries. None of these are that serious, it's football that the nature of it. Brees injury was a fluke, what do you want to them to do put flags on them. GBO!

The Qb isn't nor should be exempt from getting hit. The rules have helped with their mission, which was head injury hits. Good grief, the quarterback gets protected to much as it is. None of the hits on the injured qb's were illegal. Sometimes injuries happen, they can't keep their pretty qb's clean all the time. GBO!

Last edited:
Football is a contact sport. Although less context than in the past.

#CaptainObvious

Reactions: DixieVol
Dont want to play the game as it was MEANT to be played?... then DONT play! Simple as that. These "safety" rules have ruined the game. The rules have become WAY too arbitrary.

There are enough rules for safety, things are safer now than ever. That doesn't mean injuries are going to quit happening, sometimes injuries happen without any contact. The head injuries are being reduced and strides will continue to be made in helmets. But some that think they can rule out injuries are sadly misguided. It's time to leave the game alone for awhile and see how the new rules truly are helping. GBO!

Some say go back to leather helmets to reduce injuries as it will force players to be more careful.

IDK it that's true but it makes for an interesting conversation.

Reactions: hog88

They don’t.
They’ll never admit because that opens the door to a lot of bad things.

Some say go back to leather helmets to reduce injuries as it will force players to be more careful.

If JJ watt and our own Jason Witten are willing to run full speed without helmet into defenders i don’t think helmets have a whole lot to do with it

I dont know but some of these targeting calls are BS ,they are ruining the game. The one last night in the KY game where the KY DL got ejected for targeting and the QB was actually spun into the coming DL and there was nothing the DL could have done to prevent it and the hit was not even that bad. Like the announcer asked , would a targeting call been whistled if the QB was a RB. It was a BS call imo. But all these calls , they should just start playing two hand touch

Reactions: phoenixvol
99, count yourself fortunate for this Saturday at least. I'm already expecting a full fledged Heisman campaign for Trask within 30 minutes of the conclusion of the game. It's the Vol way.

Now, past this week all bets are off and you'll probably be in QB chaos for the remainder of the season.

I played in a high school JV game one time where the opposing team returned kickoffs in the wedge formation. I though it was outlawed 100 years ago. Coach told me to hit the first guy in the wedge as hard as I could. After running down on a kickoff, It would have killed both of us.

The Qb isn't nor should be exempt from getting hit. The rules have helped with their mission, which was head injury hits. Good grief, the quarterback gets protected to much as it is. None of the hits on the injured qb's were illegal. Sometimes injuries happen, they can't keep their pretty qb's clean all the time. GBO!
Actually the UK quarterback WAS injured by an illegal horse collar and is out for the season.

you rarely see a rugby player with such injuries and they wear no pads. it is a hard hitting sport and fun to watch (once you understand the rules I must admit)..these men and women respect their opponents by not trying to rip each others head off their shoulders....plus the losers buy the beer after the match!

Reactions: hog88
Well after seeing some of the “roughing the qb” calls Sunday I think the rules are going too far. Literally the D was getting the call just for taking the qb to the ground right after they threw the ball and the defender was in no position to know whether he actually threw it or not. Also in the 2 really bad calls they both fell to the side of the qb with little to none of their weight falling into the qb.
If you can’t tackle the qb immediately after they threw the ball with no way to actually know whether they threw it or not then just make the qb untouchable but also make it so they can’t run the ball. Or worse yet just make it 2 hand touch on the qb.

you rarely see a rugby player with such injuries and they wear no pads. it is a hard hitting sport and fun to watch (once you understand the rules I must admit)..these men and women respect their opponents by not trying to rip each others head off their shoulders....plus the losers buy the beer after the match!

Yep, without helmets and padding you are kinda forced to use proper blocking and tackling techniques.

VN Store

Back